Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:15 pm

Panasonic Lumix

I was using a Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-3. Most of the better photos in my Flickr archive....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/globetrodden/sets/

... were taken with this camera.

Lots of good things about the Lumix, from its compact size to its Leica lens. But my favorite attribute was its extraordinarily long battery life. I could take this camera on a ten-day trip, snapping 250-plus pictures, and never have to worry about running out of juice.

I say "was" because I recently upgraded to a Nikon 1. The jury is still out as to whether or not I made the right decision.

Patrick Smith

www.askthepilot.com
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by JohnDP
I have a Canon 5D with L lenses. This was until I discovered the Sony RX100, which just came out a couple of weeks ago.

In one word: astonishing!
I find it hard to believe that the Sony outperforms the 5D. Regardless, I'll buy your 5D with L lens off of you for what you paid for the Sony.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Sony DSC-RX100. An excellent camera!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:46 am

I have a Canon EOS550D with the big lens. Great camera, which I mainly use for product shots, but have taken it travelling and it captures truly amazing shots.

It has a slight weakness in night shots (Probably more my lack of knowledge on its many settings) and is too bulky and stands out to carry it anywhere that's not a tourist spot (got arrested in Kuwait for taking a picture of a building at night) so I carry a Samsung point and shoot for more everyday situations.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:12 am

"the big lens"?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:18 am

I decided to rent a Nikon V1 for a recent trip to South America (Bogotá, Río de Janeiro, & São Paulo). I usually bring my D3s + 24-70 or 24-120, and 70-200 or 70-300, which makes for a very heavy & visible kit.

I was pretty pleased with the V1. I had the 10-30mm & 30-110mm lenses. Obviously a nice light form factor, fairly unobtrusive, and very good performance outdoors. I shot some surfers in Río and it did very well tracking the fast-moving surfers. Also shot some cars at Interlagos Speedway in São Paulo and was pleased w/ those results as well.

There are some things (more UI) that I didn't like and will wait for a 'V2' to see if Nikon addresses them, but I fully expect it to become my travel kit in the future.

Chris
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:25 am

"the big lens"?
Haha. When I bought the camera (in Dubai or Doha or somewhere) I had a choice of a small lens or a big, zoomy one (I am an expert in photography terminology).

If it helps, on the side it says: EFS 18-135mL Macro 0.45m/1.5ft.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:00 am

Understood.

Your Canon should easily out perform the Samsung so it's most likely operator error. Check out this book: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson It did wonders for my photography.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I have the Canon S95, and I love it. It's really the best pocket camera I've ever owned, and with the F/2.0 lens has really shallow dSLR-style depth of field.
Hmm, so I've already said how pleased I am with the S95. It really is very good.

But I recently can't stop thinking about the Sony DSC RX100. It's looking at me, I'm looking at it. $650 seems a lot for a pocket camera though. What is the board's opinion on this camera?

Is the Sony RX100 noticeably better than my (excellent) Canon S95?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by transparent

I have the NEX-5 and it's not too heavy or bulky, but once you start carrying different lenses. you'll be carrying a camera bag anyway. But it is a nice size if you're good with the kit lens.
I too have the Nex 5N & I've carried it along with the kit lense & two additional lenses. I bought a nice men's Coach tote instead of a traditional camera bag that I carry the camera & lenses in when I'm out.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Playboy
I too have the Nex 5N & I've carried it along with the kit lense & two additional lenses. I bought a nice men's Coach tote instead of a traditional camera bag that I carry the camera & lenses in when I'm out.
I got a good deal on an Nex 5N kit in Hong Kong recently, and took it on a trip to Peru (Lima/Cusco/Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu/Puno).

The size/weight were very nice compared to my normal Nikon SLR burden. In some bright outdoor situations, I had a hard time seeing the LCD screen to frame the pictures, but the picture did come out looking good.

EW
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: TrueBlue, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Anyone use m4/3 camera? I love my Olympus E-P3. Not as bulky as a DSLR, interchangeable lenses, and much better picture quality than high-end compacts like LX5 or S100.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:43 pm

I'm using a D90 with a 28-200mm lens..It is decent but not exceptionally good!! And it's a bit bulky too..
I am considering those compact DSLR but I don't want to buy new lens for those small guys again...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:08 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
For non-aviation photos, I tend to use my Canon S95 (awesome pocket camera) and my iPhone.

But if I am going plane-spotting, it is my Nikon D700 with a couple lenses (80-200mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 along with a 1.4x teleconverter) and a 50mm f 1.8 in my pocket in case I want to go walking around.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Ended up getting a Fuji X10 and really like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.