Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Nikon D7000, with a handful of lenses and a Panasonic point and shoot...forget which model but it's molding inside the lens so doesn't see much use these days.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:14 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I have been using a Nikon D80, which I am upgrading next week to a D3200. I use a 18~200 as my primary lens. I also carry a Pentax waterproof P&S, primarily for video, underwater and harsh environments. The I-phone 4S is part of my travel photo equip, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet for planned photos.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, BAEC
Depends, for general sightseeing, always a Canon 100D, few suitable lenses and any filters I think I may need in advance. I sometimes take the 1D depending on where we are going and what we'd want to be shooting. Hubby's a bit of a fanatic so he usually uses the dSLR and I mostly take point and click snaps for convenience of being out and about with a smaller bag (I use a lot for my work purposes but they don't need to be amazingly composed, just good snapshots) so I've been using a Fuji bridge camera which I think is absolutely awesome yet not as small as a compact point and click but not the size of an slr.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: most of them
I just spent a few days in Montreal with my Nikon1 V1 which was great. It's small and light but offer full manual control when you want it. The menus are pretty easy to navigate once you are used to them and there are some things you can access quickly via the multiselector. There's an EVF which is good for sunny conditions. I was pleased with the results and not having to lug the D7000 and lenses around was great..
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Question: My wife wants a P&S camera when we don't want a dSLR. Since we don't always get white balance correct, what is the cheapest P&S camera that can shoot in RAW?
I shot with a Canon 5DII on land. but under water i got the Canon S100 with case.. and I know you can shoot in raw with it.. the images are great for a p&S, manual controls is good since i like to fidget with it...
Is it as good as the 5d, of course not. but it's good for a P&S
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 pm

I would look into the SOny NEX line, which is not a P&S jet but a pretty small mirrorless camera with a DSLR size sensor. Really good image quality with full raw support and a nice selection of lenses, if that is someting of interest otherwise still amazing quality with the kit lens.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: DL
Been a while since I've been back on here at FT but figured I'd give an update on how well the J1 has been working out since I've got a couple of PMs asking me how I liked it. And the verdict is..... despite what some people earlier in this thread would like to think .... it is that the J1 worked out really, really well. It did everything I expected of it and more. I even took two trips where I didn't even bother taking my DSLR at all and pretty much just use the J1 as my daily carry around home when I don't have anything planned. (Which was actually outside of the scope of my original reasoning but it really does work that well.)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Enjoyed reading all the thoughts, and that was some world class arguing in the first couple of pages.

Bout to head out on some trips, including a bucket lister to Halong Bay in Vietnam. Want to invest in a new P&S for the occasion.

S100 has glowing reviews, but I like the bigger sensors that I've found in the 4/3 models, but then I also want something that fits in my pocket. So, do I go the S95/S100 route, OR check out the new RX100 from Sony? Has a much bigger sensor and some cool other features, but is much more expensive than the Canon.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Also, if I don't mind not having my camera in my pocket, I can get a new FX10 for $470ish.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:46 am

Would the Canon GX1 meet your requirements?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I have the Canon S95, and I love it. It's really the best pocket camera I've ever owned, and with the F/2.0 lens has really shallow dSLR-style depth of field.

The latest model is the Canon S100, which at $349 is much better value than(nearly half the price of!) the more expensive RX100 imo.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
My camera of choice was a Nikon D300. I had been waiting for many years for the D800 to come out. And no kidding, the day I proposed to the now Mrs. DragonPhish, Nikon announced it. Well, with all those expenses behind us, I get my new D800 tomorrow.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Enjoyed reading all the thoughts, and that was some world class arguing in the first couple of pages.

Bout to head out on some trips, including a bucket lister to Halong Bay in Vietnam. Want to invest in a new P&S for the occasion.

S100 has glowing reviews, but I like the bigger sensors that I've found in the 4/3 models, but then I also want something that fits in my pocket. So, do I go the S95/S100 route, OR check out the new RX100 from Sony? Has a much bigger sensor and some cool other features, but is much more expensive than the Canon.
Get the S100 if you want a camera that you take with you, and take any photos you want with good results.

Get a real SLR with quality lenses if you really care about image quality

Edit: remember, the best camera is the one you have on you.. and the best photos are the one you took (rather than missed b/c u didn't want to bring a big camera around).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hades2k
I would look into the SOny NEX line, which is not a P&S jet but a pretty small mirrorless camera with a DSLR size sensor. Really good image quality with full raw support and a nice selection of lenses, if that is someting of interest otherwise still amazing quality with the kit lens.
I have the NEX-5 and it's not too heavy or bulky, but once you start carrying different lenses. you'll be carrying a camera bag anyway. But it is a nice size if you're good with the kit lens.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
EDIT: deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 29, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.