Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Ultra light: Canon iXus 220 HS
Very light: Canon S95
New one not tested yet: Fujifilm X10

I truly find the 220 HS a good low light camera with great shots without settings. The S95 is truly outstanding otherwise.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:54 pm

+ how many on the Canon S95 fits perfectly in a Pelican 1010 case. Great for travel. Even extreme.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Bought the X100 after selling my DP2. It is probably the best compromise between picture quality, size and low light performance. Its expensive for a non DSLR - but build quality, small-ish size and ease of use makes it well worth the money for me. Highly recommended.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:02 pm

What is your camera of choice traveling?

Hi there,

While travelling i always carry Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 with a 16x optical zoom.

Cheap Flights To Guatemala
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Canon 5D, I just recently started carrying it with me on trips, now I miss it if I don't bring it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Nothing fancy here, just a Kodak Easyshare digital camera I picked up at Walmart for $70 two years ago. It has 10.2 Megapixels and gets the job done. My photography is just for Flyertalk/Facebook albums and it's small, gets good battery life (AAs) and has never let me down.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:57 am

Canon S100

my inflight videos : www.youtube.com/TheSmurfboard
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:22 pm

Interesting thread, like @Jib, I schlep my D3s -- went on a biz trip to South Africa, London, & Paris recently. Tried the Nikon 24-120v4 VR II, Nikon 70-300, and 50f1.4G. (and a SB-800).

I only used my 70-300 lens once, the 24-120 is a great walk-around lens. That said, I'm actually looking to downsize my travel kit -- am really thinking of the Nikon V1, but 'gen 2'. I have a trip coming up to Colombia, Brazil, and Mexico. Don't think I want to be carrying that D3s around...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by termlimit
I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.
My camera of choice as well. I will probably get whatever the successor to the 7D is once it comes out (rumored to be announced this fall, but given how Canon has struggled with manufacturing capacities the past year and a half, I'm not holding my breath).
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:32 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I prefer my Canon T2i. If I can't bring that, then...it's my Fujifilm Finepix AX300 (well, it's not really mine, but it's the family's...)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:47 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3 dust/shock/water resistant HD pocket camera that I take pretty much everywhere with me but I also have a Nikon D5100 that I use for "proper" photography.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:38 pm

[/COLOR]
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Question: My wife wants a P&S camera when we don't want a dSLR. Since we don't always get white balance correct, what is the cheapest P&S camera that can shoot in RAW?
Have you considered a gray card or a Neutral White Balance card such as the WhiBal?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:07 am

Im traveling with the 5d mark III quality of the pics is great but size is a real pain. More if you get 2 or 3 lenses.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:09 pm

Just a quick update since this thread has seen some renewed interest.
IIRC the D90 didn't come back until *after* I got back from Vegas I ended up taking my old D50 with me. It did fine but a few times I wished I had the D90's better low light capability. I'm also reminded how spoiled having multiple 8GB cards for has made me after having to carry 4 cards for a whopping capacity of 6GB. Turns out between Vegas and a side trip to the Hoover Dam on the way back to PHX everything (barely) fit on a 2GB card.

One tip though if you haven't used a camera in awhile double check your date and time. I reset the time from CST to PST but didn't notice somehow the date was off by a year. Easily fixable in Aperture (or I assume Light Room as well) but also easily avoidable.

Another thing I learned is while a DSLR is nice I was really envious of the nice compact P&S my friend's girlfriend had that she could easily put in her small purse or pocket after shlepping around with my DSLR around my neck (and my laptop in my backpack) during the convention for three days. Since then I got a nice little Sony WX9 P&S for Christmas. The overall PQ is very nice for its size and cost but being used to a DSLR the lack of fine controls drives me nuts sometimes. I'll be giving it its first real test when I head to PHX for a 10 day vacation in a couple weeks but so far I've been quite happy with it. The fact that it fits nicely in my D90's bag is a nice plus too.

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Since I pretty much only travel for vacations now my travel camera of choice is my DSLR which is currently a Nikon D90. I do use my iPhone 4 as a backup occasionally or when I want to be able to geotag a photo later. That said I have to send my D90 in on Monday to get some hot pixels mapped out and I really hope it gets back to me before my flight on 11/16.(hmm. Might have to have it shipped to my friend's house I'll be staying with.) I really want it for my first trip to Vegas but my backup D50 will be a decent fill in if needed.
Originally Posted by DJGMaster1
The D50 will provide a nice backup to the D90 (That's my backup of choice for my D90 as well) but be sure you have a good stock of 2 GB SD cards, as the D50 won't work with anything larger - IMHO, the only significant way in which it's really showing it's age.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:16 am

I have a Canon 30D but the lens is awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.