Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by ND Sol
But the small sensor (even smaller than Micro 4/3) is problematic when there are others that even use the APS-C size sensor.
... or when m43 has smaller lenses. Either way, the 2.7x Nikon system seems to not win either way (at least currently). I just can't fathom why they didn't launch with a pancake. Just like Sony NEX, it will depend entirely on how fast they can fill out the lens lineup to take advantage of the AF speed and size.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL
I think this is getting way off topic so hopefully a mod can split some of this out into it's own thread?

I played with a J1 earlier this week and it is sturdy as it was heavier than I thought it would be. If you are a Nikon user, I can see why this might be of interest.

But the small sensor (even smaller than Micro 4/3) is problematic when there are others that even use the APS-C size sensor. I don't see how that small of a sensor can be comparable. This then equates to a 2.7x crop factor, which is great for telephotos, but wide angle really suffers. Perhaps I am just old school, but I find it difficult to use a camera without a viewfinder, which the V1 has, but not the J1. I'm sure that I am missing something, but all things being equal, my view is Nikon is late to the game (though Canon is even further behind).
While the sensor is smaller than APS-C or 4/3, it is still bigger than what you find in P&S cameras. Then you get into lens design to project an image that covers the active sensor field. Of course, the final thing to look at is what happens once the data comes off of the sensor. Several companies using the same sensor can have vastly different outcomes due to their processing engines. So, this camera is using a sensor that is smaller than most of the mirrorless crowd but that also means they can make smaller lenses and bring the camera size down. As far as the sensor itself, Nikon does some good stuff with their own sensors and Sony's so I'm more than willing to give this a try.

That said, and as I've already said, if I need critical work, I have two very capable dslrs. If all one wants to do is go on and on about image quality coming off of a sensor and having their wide angles be wide angles, I have a D700 for that and it does so very well. This camera (J1) is meant for those P&S users who want a little more than what they're currently using but don't want a full dslr. I'm approaching it from a slightly different direction. I have dslrs and want something smaller but none of the P&S's I've tried cut it for me. It is here that the two markets have met. Being able to use some of my current lenses is a big bonus and opens up the back-up body scenario.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ~tc~
I just can't fathom why they didn't launch with a pancake.
?!? There is a pancake.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO PLAT, Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by DavenM
Seeing how everything is now Facebook and Viral based,
All I take along is my iPhone.
The pictures come out great.. and just wait until I get the new iPhone 4S, which has an 8 megapixel camera!
At the end of the day I plug my phone into my macbook air anyways, and poof!
Done
I subscribe to quite a few photo magazines and I believe it was Popular Photo Pro that had a full article of a guy who made a photo book with his iPhone 4. The photos were actually really good and the book very well done. I will look for a URL online when I get home tonight. The photos were all done with outside with good lighting as phone cameras in general have a problem with low light.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:57 pm

I currently travel with a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D). Lens-wise, I'm mostly shooting with primes these days. Specifically, a subset of the following: 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8L. My wife has the Canon 10-22, which is a great lens as well.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
nikon d200, with either the 18-200 or 24-85 depending on where we're traveling and my anticipated need (reach). I also take my 24mm/f2.8 prime.

canon s95

i really like this setup...and am finding I'm taking the s95 out more and more...and leaving the d200 behind more and more on my daily treks. the s95 does a great job...and is a heck of a lot easier to carry around (or, maybe I'm just getting lazier)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've been having a lot of fun restricting myself to my Fuji GW690III and black & white. I look at things a lot differently than if I had a P&S.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Amex Plat, DL Amex Res, HHonors Gold, Choice Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Nikon D90...I love that camera
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: UA
Panasonic GH2 and 20mm. I'm happy with the set-up, but if they could put 1080/24P in a GF2 or E-P1 body and add a twisty LCD, I would be in heaven.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by S.Marsh
Panasonic GH2 and 20mm. I'm happy with the set-up, but if they could put 1080/24P in a GF2 or E-P1 body and add a twisty LCD, I would be in heaven.
They have. It's called the G3.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
?!? There is a pancake.
Not really. The 10mm is pretty small, but considering the sensor size, compared to the m43 lenses, it seems like it could be a lot flatter. Look at the Pentax pancakes - they are even smaller yet!

I admit, I have not seen one in person, but the 1Nikkor 10 doesn't look much smaller than the new Panasonic X zoom. http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...42Xpreview.asp

If you want to be able to carry this as a backup body for your existing Nikon lenses, I think it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, I just don't see where it "fits". If you need extreme rapid frame rate, perhaps, but otherwise, there seems to be a considerable hit to image quality and no size/cost advantage over the other mirrorless formats. But then, it says "Nikon" on it, not "Panasonic" or "Sony", so it must be better
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:33 am

Not really. The 10mm is pretty small, but considering the sensor size, compared to the m43 lenses, it seems like it could be a lot flatter. Look at the Pentax pancakes - they are even smaller yet!

I admit, I have not seen one in person, but the 1Nikkor 10 doesn't look much smaller than the new Panasonic X zoom. http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...42Xpreview.asp

If you want to be able to carry this as a backup body for your existing Nikon lenses, I think it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, I just don't see where it "fits". If you need extreme rapid frame rate, perhaps, but otherwise, there seems to be a considerable hit to image quality and no size/cost advantage over the other mirrorless formats.
The Pentax uses a smaller sensor than all of the mirrorless cameras, of course they are smaller yet. Not sure what your point is.

Ok, you admit that you haven't seen the lens you're putting down? Not sure what the point of that is either. (Also, a zoom pancake is like saying a giant dwarf. Until the mirrorless camera manufacturers started abusing the term, there were very few pancake lenses in the world and they were always primes.)

As for the last paragraph, so far from the images I've seen from people running more than the cursory tests, there doesn't seem to be that big of a hit but I'll reserve final judgement until mine get in my hands and I get to use it versus just bashing it sight unseen. If you can't find where these cameras fit for you, don't buy it, no one is making you. I've only been stating (defending feels like the more appropriate word though) how I have found that this will fit into my current uses. Not sure why you have issue with the fact that someone else might have found a different solution.

In the end, I highly doubt you or anyone else will be able to tell if I shot photos with this camera or another of the mirrorless cameras. Like I said, if I want to get really critical with the image quality down to the pixel peeping level, I'll just whip out my D700 and shoot 14-bit uncompressed NEF files using my heavy pro glass though.

Once again, I'll state: All I'm asking of my smaller camera is that it does better than what I've seen from P&Ss so far. (Which the preliminary tests are showing that it will but that's not a surprise since it is a larger sensor.) The fact that it can also act as a back-up body on my regular lenses is an added bonus feature that allows me to travel light.

But then, it says "Nikon" on it, not "Panasonic" or "Sony", so it must be better
And no idea where this came from?!?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA
They have. It's called the G3.
I gave the G3 a serious consideration, but it still lacks native 1080/24P. If Vitaly hacks the G3 to boost bit-rates and record progressive frames at 25P (close enough to 24P), then I'll most definitely make the move to downsize.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
In the end, I highly doubt you or anyone else will be able to tell if I shot photos with this camera or another of the mirrorless cameras.

Once again, I'll state: All I'm asking of my smaller camera is that it does better than what I've seen from P&Ss so far. (Which the preliminary tests are showing that it will but that's not a surprise since it is a larger sensor.)
On one hand you state that you "highly doubt you or anyone else will be able to tell if I shot photos with this camera or another of the mirrorless cameras" while on the other hand you state that it should do better than a P&S "since it is a larger sensor". I don't think you can have it both ways. For example the Sony NEX series (a mirrorless camera) has a sensor over three times the size as the J1 while the J-1's sensor is not even three times as large as the P&S Nikon Coolpix P7000.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:11 pm

On one hand you state that you "highly doubt you or anyone else will be able to tell if I shot photos with this camera or another of the mirrorless cameras" while on the other hand you state that it should do better than a P&S "since it is a larger sensor". I don't think you can have it both ways. For example the Sony NEX series (a mirrorless camera) has a sensor over three times the size as the J1 while the J-1's sensor is not even three times as large as the P&S Nikon Coolpix P7000.
Actually, yes I can have it both ways. I get to see the actual file I shot while the viewer won't. All they get to see is what I did with that file.

Seriously, what is the issue with you and ~tc~?!? Why are you two so hurt that I might actually be able to make this camera work?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.