Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exerda
My only complaint with the 7D so far is that out of the box, the AF is a bit dodgy. I'm getting a lot of shots which should have been tack-sharp but which are randomly either front- or back-focused. This seems to be a fairly commonplace problem with the 7D.

It is also amazing the amount of flames one finds when googling anything about 7D AF problems; apparently there are a lot of fan-boys out there who insist it cannot possibly be a problem with the camera and has to be technique or lack of knowledge by the shooter. Sorry, gents; I've taken well over 250k photos with the 50D and 30D, many with the same lenses I'm using on the 7D, and have never had to do so much microadjustment to the AF. It's not my lenses; it's not my tripod; it's not my technique.
Concur. Usually it's right, but it does miss occasionally. My old EOS-3 film camera was much, much better. I also had some exposure issues on the 7D which I've now pretty much resolved by changing the metering field.

It's a pain to do on the 7D, but zooming in on the desired focus point, then zooming back out while doing the half-press on the shutter does work pretty well. I continue to think about getting a 5D/Mark III.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Concur. Usually it's right, but it does miss occasionally. My old EOS-3 film camera was much, much better. I also had some exposure issues on the 7D which I've now pretty much resolved by changing the metering field.

It's a pain to do on the 7D, but zooming in on the desired focus point, then zooming back out while doing the half-press on the shutter does work pretty well. I continue to think about getting a 5D/Mark III.

I use a Mark III and is great, the only think I hate is the big bulk DSLR.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:13 am

I'm usuing my Pentax DSLR together with an Ultra-Zoom and the basic lens(18-55) during travel.

For easier usage without having the full equipment (e.g. dinner in the evening) we bought a ultra-slim Sony DSC-WX100, the smallest cam with 10x optical zoom.
LowLight of course less quality than DSLR, but you can put it in the shirt pocket.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
5d MKIII

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
While I love my 7D, I am contemplating my next move to full frame: I'd been looking at the 6D, but may go for a 5D/mkIII instead.... autofocus and speed being the key discriminators. While there may be a 7D/mkII coming, I think it more likely that Canon will put more eggs in full-frame basket of the 6D.
honestly, while the 5dMkIII is 1000$ more than the new 6D, I would say try and find a way to do it.

I made the same move to the 7D a couple years ago, and quite frankly was never quite satisfied with the camera. The AF was a bit ahead of its time and the software algorithms can't keep up with it and truly enable it. There are already ENOUGH issues to deal with with dSLR sharpness and achieving truly sharp and in focus images, the 7D AF just made it MORE difficult. Also, the image quality was not up to at least expectations. A bit too much AA and moiree and not being able to get things really sharp was just added to that.

So, waited - for the 5dMkIII and I could NOT BE HAPPIER. AF is fantastic! image quality is FANTASTIC. Sharpness is FANTASTIC, speed is FANTASTIC, low light capability is FANTASTIC, ergonomics is FANTASTIC, build quality is FANTASTIC.

I will use this camera for at least the next five years, of that I am certain. While the 6D keeps pace with the 5dMkIII image quality, the low light, speed and flexibility of the 5dMkIII in my opinion give it a clear lead.

I know, it IS 1000$ more, but that's about 50$ a month one has to find over a couple years. Trust me, it's worth every penny.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 pm

I stopped carrying my DSLR a few years ago. I started only carrying my Panasonic LX3. I have no regrets in doing so. I have now bought a Sony RX100. I no longer worry about becoming a target for robbery based on flashing my expensive DLSR in a 3rd world country.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by fabulas
I stopped carrying my DSLR a few years ago. I started only carrying my Panasonic LX3. I have no regrets in doing so. I have now bought a Sony RX100. I no longer worry about becoming a target for robbery based on flashing my expensive DLSR in a 3rd world country.
I have no fear if somebody steals my cam, i'm more concerned about the pictures i've taken so far. They are not covered by any insurance.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC, UA, DL, BA, SPG
I always carry my D90 and Tamron 18-55mm 2.8f with me when traveling (and a compact Canon camera as backup or when carrying the DSLR is not really an option).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:28 pm

I like my Sony DSC-HX5, which I am pretty sure is discontinued. I just received a D5100 as a gift, but I am not sure I will take it travelling. I'm going to try it on the next trip, but I don't think that I will like the bulk.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by migali
I always carry my D90 and Tamron 18-55mm 2.8f with me when traveling (and a compact Canon camera as backup or when carrying the DSLR is not really an option).
Tamron makes an 18-55mm f/2.8 for Nikon?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Tamron makes an 18-55mm f/2.8 for Nikon?
Maybe he means their 17-50 2.8?
http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/1750_vc_b005.asp
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I will use this camera for at least the next five years, of that I am certain. While the 6D keeps pace with the 5dMkIII image quality, the low light, speed and flexibility of the 5dMkIII in my opinion give it a clear lead.
Most of the reviews I've seen of the 6D put it equal or better than the 5D3 on low light image quality; look at 25,600 ISO / RAW on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/23 and there's visibly more detail surviving.

The other advantages depend very much on what you're shooting -- if you're doing people/weddings/etc the extra shooting speed and better autofocus of the 5D3 are going to be worth a great deal.

OTOH, as a travel camera the 6D is rather lighter (180g/0.3lb, about a 20% reduction from the 5D3) although that may not be a big difference to some, and it's still heavier than a T3i/T4i by around 200g (the 5D3 isn't quite twice the weight of the Rebel-series ones, but it closing in on double - 950g vs. 570g.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Originally Posted by dakuda
I like my Sony DSC-HX5, which I am pretty sure is discontinued. I just received a D5100 as a gift, but I am not sure I will take it travelling. I'm going to try it on the next trip, but I don't think that I will like the bulk.
I love my HX5 too, was starting to think I'm the only one who uses it... Compact enough to bring anywhere, good enough to use in most situations, even got great wildlife shots with it. It's definitely discontinued though, think it came out in 2009 or something. Have a Canon 60D as well, but with two lenses, a flash and everything else I only take it to those occasions when I know I'll use it. So much easier to bring the HX5.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Its a bit bulky but I use my 5D Mark II with a 27-70 2.8f lens.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: US Airways
5d3 if I dont care about weight
contax645 if i feel like shooting film
holga or lomo lcw for fun
or any of the other 36 film cameras I have collected.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jason53
Its a bit bulky but I use my 5D Mark II with a 27-70 2.8f lens.
Canon makes a 27-70 mm f/2.8 lens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.