Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Sean321
Mostly I use Sony HX90V Camera. It is the best for traveling and capture the beauty of the nature. The image view is looking awesome and best for the travelers. the image:
+1
That's what I use.
Low light could be better but overall it's pretty good. I love the 30x zoom.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by PotentialFlightRisk
Having said that, my previous kit was even smaller: the comparatively minuscule Sony RX-100 Mark III. Awesome travel camera. But there were a few times that its 24-70mm (35mm equiv.) lens left me wanting, both on the wide and the tele end. Not too often though and thus in a pinch, it would do the job.
I picked up a Sony RX-100 Mark V recently and it's become my main "walking around" camera. Awesome camera and it goes with me most everywhere. I'm finding it's low-light performance, freakishly fast autofocus, and gadzillion frames per second capability more than make up for it's somewhat short tele end and clunky menu system.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I am hoping for a good price drop on the EOS M5 within a few months of its release; that certainly happened quickly with the M3.

I love my M3, but it still has a lot of the slow-focus hunting of the original EOS M, and the hot shoe EVF is clunky (and precludes using a flash at the same time.) Really looking forward to the dual-pixel AF and the full-time EVF.

Assuming prices drop as much as they usually do, I'm going to be getting it with the 18-150 kit.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:29 pm

Previously, a Ricoh GR compact. One of the best cameras I have ever owned. Right now, a Sony RX1. In terms of haptics, nowhere near as good as the Ricoh, but the files are really, really good.

Also have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver permanently mounted on a 3-axis gimbal, and I've gotten the video bug. I've been looking for a fairly compact way to do both stills and video but haven't found the perfect solution (in terms of price/size). So I think I might keep the Sony RX1 for stills and get a dedicated video shooter instead.

Right now, the most appealing is the Sony RX100 V, but I'd be needing to stick it on a gimbal as well, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to carry around a gimbal. The other option is an Olympus OMD EM1 MkII with its excellent stabilization, which I think will allow me to skip a gimbal, but it's fairly pricey and I'm waiting to see if its video C-AF is at least similar to the Sony RX100 V. A third option is the Canon EOS M5. They really do have the best C-AF in video right now, bar none. It's not even funny how good Canon's dual pixel AF is for video compared to everyone else. But the video quality is noticeably lower, and I'd still need a gimbal for it.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I am a basic photographer who wants good quality photos without needing to carry too much gear; I have had various cameras over the past ten years ranging from dSLR, mirrorless, compacts, waterproof, GoPros, smartphones.

By reading alot of these posts, it seems the Sony RX100 V might be the way to go (pretty good photos and relatively compact) but it looked a bit pricey.

A friend of mine who is a pro photographer suggests for bang for buck and my needs, I go for the Panasonic TZ110 (which is about 2/3rds the price of the Sony). He also suggests I get a Ricoh Theta S for 360degree/VR shots.

I am not too keen on carrying a dSLR around again, takes up too much of my carry on limits, but don't like wandering/exploring around with too much weight.

I take lots of plane cabin photos and food photos if that helps

Anyway, I guess my question is; who uses the Panasonic TZ110 or Ricoh Theta S?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I am a basic photographer who wants good quality photos without needing to carry too much gear; I have had various cameras over the past ten years ranging from dSLR, mirrorless, compacts, waterproof, GoPros, smartphones.

By reading alot of these posts, it seems the Sony RX100 V might be the way to go (pretty good photos and relatively compact) but it looked a bit pricey.

A friend of mine who is a pro photographer suggests for bang for buck and my needs, I go for the Panasonic TZ110 (which is about 2/3rds the price of the Sony). He also suggests I get a Ricoh Theta S for 360degree/VR shots.

I am not too keen on carrying a dSLR around again, takes up too much of my carry on limits, but don't like wandering/exploring around with too much weight.

As you know the Ricoh Theta S is a very specialized type of camera which you should really think about before buying and ask your self how often you will really use it.

Panasonic is known for making really good travel zooms and uses a 1 inch 20MP BSI CMOS sensor. The camera is pretty light weight at 312 g (11.01 oz) and received an 82% Gold Award score on DPR.

It seems that the major issue on this camera is the EVF which isn't great. I like using the EVF when shooting so that would be a turnoff to me.

By the way, you mentioned that you have owned mirrorless cameras in the past. Out of curiosity, which were they?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
As you know the Ricoh Theta S is a very specialized type of camera which you should really think about before buying and ask your self how often you will really use it.

Panasonic is known for making really good travel zooms and uses a 1 inch 20MP BSI CMOS sensor. The camera is pretty light weight at 312 g (11.01 oz) and received an 82% Gold Award score on DPR.

It seems that the major issue on this camera is the EVF which isn't great. I like using the EVF when shooting so that would be a turnoff to me.

By the way, you mentioned that you have owned mirrorless cameras in the past. Out of curiosity, which were they?
Yes I understand the Theta S is very specific type of camera (but recently been using a smartphone app to create 360 degree images which mostly isn't perfect but pretty good).

Thanks for the comments re: EVF. I don't think that would bother me though, I'm (now) a P&S type of guy using the LCD screen.

For mirrorless, I had a Sony Nex-3 around 4-5 years ago.

On our recent trip to Bora Bora, only used a smartphone (Samsung S7) and GoPro4 but looking to get a decent compact P&S for our future travels.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Leica D-LUX 6 with viewfinder, grip, and flash. All I need!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alanslegal

I only have 3 cameras - whatever iPhone I own at the time, a RX-100 (still on Mark I) and an a77. If I know I am going to be serious about my shots, I always take the a77 and bring the 2 or 3 lenses I think I'll need for the whole trip but I usually only have 2 on me at any one time.

If I think I'm going to care but I'm not out to put a lot of time into it, I have not yet found a camera that beats the RX-100. However, using an iPhone for a quick shot can yield some amazing results.

If you want to travel "light" get a mirrorless and carry an iPhone or another phone with an excellent camera. With the camera try to use an app that will shoot in RAW - like Lightroom.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMoney
A third option is the Canon EOS M5. They really do have the best C-AF in video right now, bar none. It's not even funny how good Canon's dual pixel AF is for video compared to everyone else. But the video quality is noticeably lower, and I'd still need a gimbal for it.
It's almost like Canon still thinks of their mirrorless models as cannibalizing sails of their bread-and-butter DSLRs.

I'm likely getting the M5 once the price drops; right now, it's still new enough to be selling at list, and I expect in a few more months it will be ~25% cheaper.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
It's almost like Canon still thinks of their mirrorless models as cannibalizing sails of their bread-and-butter DSLRs.

I'm likely getting the M5 once the price drops; right now, it's still new enough to be selling at list, and I expect in a few more months it will be ~25% cheaper.
The review for the M5 on DP Review had some serious reservations which started with the lack of native lenses.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m5-review/7
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Speaking of mirrorless and heavy cameras, I found this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/M...4/N/4259332394

Lists several upcoming medium format digital cameras, from Leica, Hasselblad and Fuji.

This one is mirrorless and has a 50 Mp 43.8 x 32.9 mm sensor. It's 25.6 ounces, though not sure if that is with lenses and battery. I think that may be lighter and smaller than my D750.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...on_medium.html

Only $13k with a 40mm lens though. No 4K video, which is a bad omission in a 2017-released camera.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The review for the M5 on DP Review had some serious reservations which started with the lack of native lenses.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m5-review/7
I owned the original EOS M, and still have an M3 (undecided whether I'll keep it after getting the 5) so I am well aware of the limitations of the EF-M lineup. I'm not aware of any downgrades from the M3, except bulk (acceptable to get the EVF build in and somewhat more DSLR like controls; it's still much smaller than my T3i let alone my 6D) and price.

If I were starting over, and didn't care about using it with my existing glass, I'd probably go with Sony, but I'm quite happy with the ability to use my existing full-frame and EF-S lenses with adapters, and I absolutely love the EF-M 11-22 IS... the comparable Sony lens is quite a bit pricier (although looking at the current pricing, I'm glad I picked it up in Japan when the Yen was weaker; its release in the US was hugely delayed.)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
If I were starting over, and didn't care about using it with my existing glass, I'd probably go with Sony, but I'm quite happy with the ability to use my existing full-frame and EF-S lenses with adapters, and I absolutely love the EF-M 11-22 IS... the comparable Sony lens is quite a bit pricier (although looking at the current pricing, I'm glad I picked it up in Japan when the Yen was weaker; its release in the US was hugely delayed.)
Actually it was the price of the Sony glass that pushed me over to the m43 world where you have so many options and if needed a great bang for the buck while still achieving great IQ.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually it was the price of the Sony glass that pushed me over to the m43 world where you have so many options and if needed a great bang for the buck while still achieving great IQ.
...and Fuji APS-C glass is even pricier.

I don't know that the sensor size makes that much difference, but I picked up my original EOS M super-cheap as a just for fun thing, as I was unsold on mirrorless.

I still prefer my 6D, given conditions where I don't mind the weight. It's definitely not a great camera for my travel patterns, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.