Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cubbie
I would like to figure out what would be the best Canon Elph-type compact camera for me to always keep in a pocket and travel with. I'd like to get one with the highest optical zoom I can find for less than $200. Brand doesn't matter, really. Anyone have any suggestions?
If you want a high optical zoom in a very small camera, while the IQ isn't quite as high as the larger sensor S-series (most people won't notice) and there's no RAW support (you either care or you don't) and somewhat less manual control, recent models in the the Canon SX2xx series have been very nice.

My father in law loves his SX260, and it's only a bit larger in height/width than my S95, and while it's actually a hair thicker it feels quite thin in proportion. Definitely still a pocketable camera.

The SX2xx series is no longer made although the newer version the SX280 HS is still readily available in retail channels at your price range (Best Buy has them listed at $179) or there are plenty refurbished/used.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

They've been replaced by the SX600 (smaller, 18x zoom) and SX700 (a bit larger, 30x zoom), which are a bit pricier than you're looking for, although the SX600 is almost in your price range -- $229 on Amazon or the same on B&H, for example -- and it looks pretty much like exactly what you want from Canon.

There are some other brands' pocketable "Travel Zoom" cameras that may be worth looking at, although I don't know what street prices are like on any of them. Have a look at the DPReview comparison of them from last fall: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/711...ras-for-travel
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Get a used S90 or S100. You can probably find those under $200. Zoom is decent but it's pretty good in low-light conditions.

Other options are the Panasonic Z-series. Longer zoom with a decent sensor - although I think the Canon S-series has a better sensor.
Nowadays you can get a New Canon S110 for under $200. I've recently seen them for as low as $159.

http://www.ajrichie.com/Canon-PowerS...?refid=Priceme
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice, Braindrain, nkedel, and lhgreengrd1. Now I know what to look for and what to compare.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by langham123
Just an update on my post 492 above: I took my Sigma 24-70mm Aspherical lens from my old SLR with me and used it in very bright conditions. The picture was not as sharp as the Sony lens but it worked well with the hood. BTW I also took photos with my Galaxy Ace II which turned out surprisingly well, clear and sharp, despite low light. So the point and shoot has my vote.
By the time I set up the Sony, the opportunity was gone! So fine for scenes and portraits but not so good on the hoof.
I used to have the Sigma 24-70 (got it trying to save $$). I too was unhappy with the images, they just weren't as sharp as desired. Sold it to get a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 (now often left behind in favor of the smaller, lighter 24-70 f/4). Both used om D7100.

Even with all of my Nikon gear, I've become quite fond of my new Panasonic DMC-LX7. It's small enough to fit in my purse if needed.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:18 am

Smile Camera

It took me a while before choosing my gear. I am traveling for a year - mostly in Asia. My first idea was to get the biggest range possible. It is not a mistake of course, except for the weight you will have to carry.

Being a huge fan of "social" pictures, I made my mind around taking only prime lenses. I even chose to stop my range to 85mm. I have to say I am very happy with the result (you can make your own idea in having a look here > http://thewayfarerspath.wordpress.com/).

I have a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm & 85mm. I had very few places I can't shoot with that and the lens' quality is incredible. Plus it forces me time after time to work a lot on composition.

Have fun & keep traveling.
Seb
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Another X100S user here. Absolutely love love love it. Straight out of the camera jpegs look fantastic IMO. IQ is excellent, great Fuji colors and it can literally "see in the dark"

Leaf shutter and no mirror = need for a tripod for me.

Nice that it is silent and non-threatening in appearance. It seems that people smile when they see the retro look of it. Easy to take stealth shots if you so desire.

Just came back from a big trip and it was nice being able to whisk images to the iPad via EyeFi card and share with the group immediately. ^

Unless you need a zoom or wide angle - highly recommended.

DSCF2321 by liggy_1, on Flickr

DSCF2419 by liggy_1, on Flickr

Last edited by sea_jeff; Jul 28, 2014 at 12:02 pm Reason: adding pics
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I love my Canon S110.

Might seem like a strange mix but my bag now includes the S110, Nikon D7100, Sigma 150 macro OS and a Nikon SB910 flash. (depending on travel there might be a shorter prime for the D7100)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I am still toting around my 7 year old workhorse Canon S3 IS. It has the ideal combination (for me) of size, weight and function especially the 12x zoom and swivel out LCD display that allows photos in some cramped spots. Not the best in low light though. All my travelling photography is for fun. My neck, back and shoulders are not fans of carrying heavy loads of any kind. Some great advice in post #394.

For beach and snorkeling trips I have a 4 year old Olympus Tough 8000 which also works well as my pocket camera. Works great and no damage with a silicone case. Just don't submerge it in the hot tub as my brother did to his Olympus Tough 3000.

Using my camera phone in bright sunlight can be difficult because the display is hard to see. I like to update family while on the road so it's convenient but I have since discovered I can send better photos from my camera's memory card using a card reader and USB OTG cable.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:28 am

Canon 7D

50mm 1.4
EFS 15-85mm(kit lens)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Sony Nex-5R + OLED viewfinder(very important)

30mm Sigma
16mm+fisheye
50mm portrait
55-210 zoom
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:06 pm

Nikon F601 that goes with lenses depending on the occasion. Any other analog photographers around?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:21 pm

I recently moved from a Nikon D7100 to a D800, and can honestly say it is a quantum leap when it comes to the quality of the photos. Its my first FX format and the only regret is that I haven't shot in FX before now. If anyone is on the fence for a D800 or D800E, let me give you a shove! Had it on a Safari recently and the images were unbelievable. Depth, color saturation, etc. , best I've seen in any camera that I've used.

The first one is a little noisy....forgot to clean it before exporting and it was shot at high ISO due to nightfall.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Oct 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by phoenixMile
Nikon F601 that goes with lenses depending on the occasion. Any other analog photographers around?
Analog....hmmm, let me check the dictionary and get back to you... Still shooting with film? Has it become more difficult to find good processing?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I recently moved from a Nikon D7100 to a D800, and can honestly say it is a quantum leap when it comes to the quality of the photos. Its my first FX format and the only regret is that I haven't shot in FX before now. If anyone is on the fence for a D800 or D800E, let me give you a shove! Had it on a Safari recently and the images were unbelievable. Depth, color saturation, etc. , best I've seen in any camera that I've used.
Those are impressive shots. Do you mind if I ask you how much the D800 and whatever lenses you used on that trip - weigh? And how much of your carry-on luggage that outfit occupies?

I'm taking an educated guess that it's quite a bit more than the 4.5 pounds and half of my personal item that my Micro 4/3 traveling gear (which includes one body and glass that the spans the FF equivalent of 20mm to 600mm) occupies.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Those are impressive shots. Do you mind if I ask you how much the D800 and whatever lenses you used on that trip - weigh? And how much of your carry-on luggage that outfit occupies?

I'm taking an educated guess that it's quite a bit more than the 4.5 pounds and half of my personal item that my Micro 4/3 traveling gear (which includes one body and glass that the spans the FF equivalent of 20mm to 600mm) occupies.
For this trip I carried a pair of D800s, each at 2.2 lbs each (amazon.com data) One was attached to a Sigma 50-500 at 4.3lbs and the other was attached to a Nikon 80-200 / f2.8 at 3.5 lbs. I also had a nikon 16-85 at 1lb in the bag.

In total about 13.2 lbs before spare batteries, cables, bits/pieces. It took up about 3/4s of a normal carry on sized roller trolley.

When I travel with plans only for plane spotting, I usually take the Sigma 50-500 and one body, so about 7 pounds and thats usually takes a 1/4 of my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.