Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: TG Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Because you feel it is not a good deal or just didn't feel like paying it this time?
Several things, i did the paid standby FRA-BKK(-MNL) so got the full experience there and i think one way is enough.I got the head/shoulder now and that's ok.I can live without the buggy.

The seat next to me in C is blocked, i hope it stays that way

I used GUP from H to C but no luck using certificate to F.

And for that price i can go ARN-BKK return in a couple of weeks in Y and get some cash over for the hotelstay.

So i think i will be ok on the flight home.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Magnus
I used GUP from H to C but no luck using certificate to F.
Were you unable to use the certificate due to F being full, or due to the fact that your ticket had already been upgraded with the GUP?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Were you unable to use the certificate due to F being full, or due to the fact that your ticket had already been upgraded with the GUP?
Perhaps due to the certificate not being valid on H-class fares.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Perhaps due to the certificate not being valid on H-class fares.
Many persons were successful in using the certificate J > F on tickets where they had previously used the GUP to go from Eco (like Q) to J. Not sure whether it is the norm though...
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Obokata
When I did my upgrade, I went to the TG ticket desk before checking in. This might be a better way perhaps?
I should try this next time.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OK, I'll try and maintain a list of standby upgrade prices here, sorted by approximate price (low to high), and by cabin class (Y-C, and C-F). I'll also fill in Y-U and U-C data (U is booking class for Premium economy). Please feel free to add your most recent information!

Key points:
- Costs are set in USD, and converted to local currency when you buy
- Cost is the same whether to or from BKK
- Cost Y-C is the same as C-F (and the corollary follows)
- Cost Y-F is twice the Y-C

Data here is up to date (at 18 Sep 07)

Cost per one-way sector or vv (Y-C or C-F)

USD 065 BKK-PEN/PNH/SGN/VTE/RGN
USD 130 BKK-HAN/KUL/KMG
USD 190 BKK-SIN/HKG/BWN/CAN/CCU/DAC/CTU/CGP/
USD 250 BKK-KTM/CGK/CMB/DPS/MNL/TPE/XMN
USD 310 BKK-PEK/SEL (more to come)
USD 380 BKK-FUK/NGO/KIX/NRT/DXB/
USD 435 BKK-KWI
USD 505 BKK-ATH/PER
USD 630 BKK-BNE/MEL/SYD/MXP/FCO
THB 26000 BKK-CPG (Y to U [prem econ])
USD 745 BKK-AKL/FRA/MUC/CDG/ZRH/JNB/DME/MAD
USD 870 BKK-LHR

Updated to post #1.

Cheers, TK
Just bumping this up as the original post (and prices listed) is almost 2 years old, are the prices still effective?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hin Clipper01, MEL is AU$750 so the 630 American still looks ok
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:33 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
There is a printed brochure/handout available at MEL airport (as of Sept 12, 09) for paid Standby Upgrades (between Bangkok and these destinations):

**Take a close look at the price to upgrade from U to C between BKK-LAX, and the difference to do the same (U to C) for BKK-Scandinavia.** I don't think it was a misprint. Even from Y to C price is outrages ! You could actually get a roundtrip ticket in C anyway with USD 1,895 additional. Not sure what's the logic there. Does anyone know?

First number (USD) means One Class upgrade, second number (or N/A) means Two Classes upgrade, except LA and Scandinavia which are specially indicated below.

Cambodia/Laos/Penang/Myanmar, USD 70, N/A
Vietnam/Malyasia/Kunming, USD 140, N/A
Hong Kong/Bangladesh/Singapore, USD 210, USD 420
Sri Lanka/Taipae/Indonesia/Nepal/Philippines/Xiamen, USD 280, N/A
India/Pakistan/China, USD 345, USD 685
Korea/Middle East/Japan, USD 420, USD 835
Perth/Kuwait, Perth-Phuket, USD 480, N/A
Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane, USD 695, N/A
Europe/South Africa/NZ, USD 825, USD1,645
London, USD 960, USD 1,920

Los Angeles, USD 760 (Y to U), **USD 1,895 (Y to C)**, **USD 1,645 (U to C)**

Stockholm/Copenhagen/Oslo, USD 810 (Y to U), USD 1,620 (Y to C), USD 810 (U to C)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As for Scandinavia, I'm afraid it is not a mistake. The standby upgr. from M to U has always been the same amount as M to C on other European dest.; the standy/paid upgr. is really not an option to CPH/ARN/OSL.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
As for Scandinavia, I'm afraid it is not a mistake. The standby upgr. from M to U has always been the same amount as M to C on other European dest.; the standy/paid upgr. is really not an option to CPH/ARN/OSL.
I can confirm that price from CPH. I asked the gate agent in CPH for an M -> U upgrade and was informed that it was 810 USD. That is totally insane as it would be cheaper to buy a normal U-fare than to combine discounted economy and the standby-upgrade (and then get 30 kg luggage and your points for sure).

It makes no sense but according to the gate agent he already sold 5 upgrades on this departure
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks kiam. I have updated my first post in this thread.

Cheers, TK
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:19 pm

Hi TK, was charged AU$816 last night MEL-BKK, regards bkkrop
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OK, just back from visiting THAI HQ in Vibhavadi Rangsit. The staff confirmed that all teh prices are set in USD, and converted on the day, even ex-BKK flights.
How do you request these at the airport? In Australia there's a TG Service Desk as part of check-in; I can't recall ever seeing such a place at BKK (not that I was really looking). However one poster mentioned the Gate Agent as the person who had sold such things.

The other thing that would concern me is wanting to know what seat I'd be buying, as clearly Row 11 (and particularly the window seats) is undesirable on the B777 aircraft TG currently use for Bangkok-Sydney (so undesirable it's not worth the upgrade IMHO).
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:03 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Before you pay, you can ask or request if your preferred seat is available, if yes, then pay for it. Do it when you check in, NOT AT THE GATE.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:20 pm

Hi charged AU$776.00 this week MEL-BKK, could be the little Aussie dollar and the NZ dollar which are will surely hit parity with the US$ by Christmas, are starting to show results, regards bkkrop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.