Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
CasperNYC Who knows if these will even be offered, but surely THAI would love your cash!

Cost of upgrade Economy->Business depends on the original fare sub-class, but in 2019 ranged from GBP1105 to GBP1658 per the linked page:

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/pl...obusiness.page
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
CasperNYC Who knows if these will even be offered, but surely THAI would love your cash!

Cost of upgrade Economy->Business depends on the original fare sub-class, but in 2019 ranged from GBP1105 to GBP1658 per the linked page:

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/pl...obusiness.page
Current fees in below links and top of page showing Economy to Business

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/pl...obusiness.page
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/pl...sstofirst.page

STAND-BY UPGRADE SURCHARGE/FEE FROM ECONOMY TO BUSINESS CLASS (TO/FROM BKK)
(APPLICABLE FOR TG DOCUMENT & TG CARRIER FARES)

EFFECTIVE : 14 JANUARY 2022 - UFN

Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Check what your fare rules say about paid upgrades. It will probably be fare difference only...

If there are standby upgrades, this is the latest page available AFAIK: https://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan/...obusiness.page

Last edited by MELso; Jul 27, 2022 at 4:17 am
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
I've got a family member flying on Thai from BKK-NRT on an Air Canada issued ticket where the segment is an AC codeshare flight number (operated by TG). Codeshare fare class is Y (it was a flexible ticket).

As it's an AC issued ticket, my understanding is that it can't be upgraded in advance and it looks like the codeshare aspect prevents using a Star Alliance ugprade award, leaving a day of departure purchase being the only upgrade opportunity? Would this still be a possibility to buy an upgrade at check-in? Does the codeshare aspect prevent any last minute upgrade purchases? Looking at the link above, it looks like BKK-NRT would start at 13,300 TBH if the Y codeshare maps over to a TG Y? Appreciate any insight or experience folks can offer here.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
I've got a family member flying on Thai from BKK-NRT on an Air Canada issued ticket where the segment is an AC codeshare flight number (operated by TG). Codeshare fare class is Y (it was a flexible ticket).

As it's an AC issued ticket, my understanding is that it can't be upgraded in advance and it looks like the codeshare aspect prevents using a Star Alliance ugprade award, leaving a day of departure purchase being the only upgrade opportunity? Would this still be a possibility to buy an upgrade at check-in? Does the codeshare aspect prevent any last minute upgrade purchases? Looking at the link above, it looks like BKK-NRT would start at 13,300 TBH if the Y codeshare maps over to a TG Y? Appreciate any insight or experience folks can offer here.
I don't know specifically, but usually codeshares are difficult to upgrade in this circumstance. I’d anticipate standby upgrades not being possible, but still ask and maybe you can be surprised. Ex-BKK will have the best chance rather from an out-station.
gcashin likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS

When are they flying?

I’m attempting this tomorrow morning (Sunday) on likely the same ticket type. Will report back if I’m successful.
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
When are they flying?

I’m attempting this tomorrow morning (Sunday) on likely the same ticket type. Will report back if I’m successful.
Flying about 2 weeks from now. Yes, would be great to hear if you have any success with an upgrade!
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Flying about 2 weeks from now. Yes, would be great to hear if you have any success with an upgrade!
Unfortunately no success this morning.

The *G check in agent quoted us 14,000 THB (500$ CAD), which we accepted. She took our bag and sent us to ticketing to pay and then return.

Ticketing said it was not possible due to fare rules, and any upgrade would need to be initiated by Air Canada. If this were a TG Y ticket it would be fine, but not allowed on a partner ticket.

We had to go back in the long queue to get BPs (only one agent working *G check in), and barely made it through in time.

When I checked online it was about 4000$ CAD to change. I guess expected given the original fare that was booked.

At least AC is in J!
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Unfortunately no success this morning.

The *G check in agent quoted us 14,000 THB (500$ CAD), which we accepted. She took our bag and sent us to ticketing to pay and then return.

Ticketing said it was not possible due to fare rules, and any upgrade would need to be initiated by Air Canada. If this were a TG Y ticket it would be fine, but not allowed on a partner ticket.

We had to go back in the long queue to get BPs (only one agent working *G check in), and barely made it through in time.

When I checked online it was about 4000$ CAD to change. I guess expected given the original fare that was booked.

At least AC is in J!
Thanks for the very helpful update! Unfortunate that they weren't able to sell you the upgrade, but good to know what to expect.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful update! Unfortunate that they weren't able to sell you the upgrade, but good to know what to expect.
This an example of one of the many reasons I detest code-share arrangements and avoid if at all possible. Suits the carriers, but never the pax.

Just flew YOW-YVR-AKL. YOW-YVR was on an AirNZ code-share (AC metal) and resulted in a 9 hours transit at YVR. I’d have preferred a later initial departure and stopped at YYZ/YYC or anywhere to minimise the YVR transit, but the corporate TA said the AirNZ fare only allowed this connection, and ‘forcing’ AC or WS metal would have markedly increased price.
gcashin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.