Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ehdguq
If you want to purchase an upgrade from C to F at BKK, do you go to the First Class check in or the business?
Go to First
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Any recent experience at BKK for J to F flights to MUC/FRA... is it still 28800 THB?
Old May 1, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, Emirates Skywards Gold
A table of last-minute upgrade prices to U, C and F is downloadable from the Australian site:

http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...DL_card_EC.pdf
Old May 2, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by filidoor
A table of last-minute upgrade prices to U, C and F is downloadable from the Australian site:

CPH-BKK from Y to PE, USD910 and Y to C, USD1825?? They must have lost their mind. Why pay more for a standby upgrade than the difference in fare?
Old May 2, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
All a part of the cunning ploy to get folk to buy discounted C and F seats up front.

Having cheap standby-upgrades could lead pax to simply book Y (maybe cheap Y at that) and upgrade, something clearly to be avoided en-masse.

Those who know about airline yield management can probably give a good explanation. Or maybe it is just the peculiar TG (or Thai) approach to marketing.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by filidoor

Great, thanks for that! Will do SYD-BKK soon and now thinking about buying C->F
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
I'm flying LAX-BKK in 2 weeks in premium economy. It's $1850 to upgrade to C at the airport. That's far beyond what I'm willing to pay. I think that I'd rather rather use that money to live well well in BKK for 3 weeks than be annoyed with their C seats for 16 hours.

I used to fly TG LAX-BKK often years ago. Back then it was $900 for C to F at the airport (or at an agent.) They advertised $1500, but with minimal effort it could be had for $900.

That was on 7441 configuration. The 7441 F seats were reasonably plush (even in the pitch wasn't good & had no PTV) & service was excellent with caviar & plenty of Dom Perignon.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by terminalc
I'm flying LAX-BKK in 2 weeks in premium economy. It's $1850 to upgrade to C at the airport. That's far beyond what I'm willing to pay. I think that I'd rather rather use that money to live well well in BKK for 3 weeks than be annoyed with their C seats for 16 hours.
Amen, brother. It's silly to blow this sort of cash when it could be used for greater enjoyment once in Thailand. 16 hours in PE is perfectly surviveable. Royal Silk is decent, but it's not over $100 per hour better than PE and particularly with no flat bed seats and so-so IFE.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:23 am

Was quoted £700 LHR-BKK upgrade to business

After reading all the negative feedback im not looking forward to this flight
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
Ringing TG is a wise idea!
Otherwise, all of the above applies. TG does allow a buy up on an award - at least they did in my case and I was on a US award ticket.
I just tried to upgrade a UA award ticket from Y to C -- DEL BKK, and was told you can't upgrade award tickets. Even with open space. Maybe will try again once onboard.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Wome
Great, thanks for that! Will do SYD-BKK soon and now thinking about buying C->F
Just upgraded from C -> F for AUD787... Money well spent, I shall aggressively sip Dom and quaff Reds for hours! ^

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Just upgraded from C -> F for AUD787... Money well spent, I shall aggressively sip Dom and quaff Reds for hours! ^

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Good lord, forgot to post how it turned out that time...

I ended up upgrading SYD-BKK for 720AUD and on the way back I was so knackered that I upgraded in BKK as well and scored that one for 650AUD.

Received C miles outbound and F miles inbound...

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold
paid the standard $199 USD (one way) to bump from Y to U ex-LAX earlier this month.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: 100K
how do you purchase an upgrade if you're transferring to a TG flight, in my case it's in HKG?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by rumblefox
how do you purchase an upgrade if you're transferring to a TG flight, in my case it's in HKG?
Request the standby upgrade at the transfer counter when you check-in or at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.