Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listing of standby upgrades prices for THAI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by wolf539
Got it... If the one-way upgrade price of 66,300 THB LAX-BKK is accurate and someone plans to upgrade R/T (if available) it seems you would be better off just buying the business class ticket outright. Unless I'm missing something?
Sometimes, companies do not allow employees to fly in business class. Some employees may want to upgrade out of their own pockets.

Sometimes, it still works out to be slightly cheaper but subject to availability, of course.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Sometimes, it still works out to be slightly cheaper but subject to availability, of course.
Got it... My only experience with Thai is domestic business class twice a year BKK-HKT. I've been thinking about giving them a try LAX-BKK but their business class rates never seem to move, or go on sale. At least with EVA you can catch some pretty good sales from the west coast...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Thai ROP Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Obokata
I obtained the most recent prices for stand-by upgrade (as of April 2010)

BKK- FUK/NGO/KIX/NRT/SEL/PUS/MCT/BAH/AUH - 14700

I hope this helps!
This is pretty crazy! I'm in Seoul this week, and thinking about upgrading my flight tomorrow morning back to Bangkok. However, by my calculations, 14,700 baht works out to about US$456 for one-way standby upgrade on this sector. I just checked the price of a one-way D class fare (from www.thaiair.com) on the same flight, same day and it was around 550,000 KRW, which works out to around US $494. How can they justify this? Only a ~$38 difference for buying a O/W upgrade at the airport vs just buying a new ticket altogether? Doesn't make sense to me...

Last edited by chacker; Apr 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:24 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
chacker, the rate for paid standby upgrade has nothing to do wth logics, BKK-LAX upgrade fee is also out of the world of reasons, which I am sure someone still pays for it. I am so curious to find out what is their additional revenue per year (say 2009) from these standby upgrade fees.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Selling cheap last minute upgrades at the airport seems to be a controversial subject. As I see it, selling upgrades too cheap will in the end create less revenue. If one knows that the total price for Y fare+upgrade fee will be less than buying C/F from the beginning it will lead to fewer C/F tickets being sold and in the end a less attractive premium product. I’m sure most airlines would like to avoid this scenario (although US based airlines think different).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by chacker
This is pretty crazy! I'm in Seoul this week, and thinking about upgrading my flight tomorrow morning back to Bangkok. However, by my calculations, 14,700 baht works out to about US$456 for one-way standby upgrade on this sector. I just checked the price of a one-way D class fare (from www.thaiair.com) on the same flight, same day and it was around 550,000 KRW, which works out to around US $494. How can they justify this? Only a ~$38 difference for buying a O/W upgrade at the airport vs just buying a new ticket altogether? Doesn't make sense to me...
Standby upgrades are not meant to be a cheap way to get into First/Business, in fact under normal pricing, it will work out roughly to what you have estimated it to be. Where it will work in your advantage is what many of us do, buy cheap economy when avaible and then upgrade at the airport, this way you can save close to 30% off the normal business class fare. It is what FFPs are all about, buy cheaply and grab the highest rewards. Whilst you are in Seoul, if you wish to drive yourself really crazy, check out the prices of a Bangkok return ticket (if that is what you are on), if it is not 25% cheaper than what you paid, you haven't bargained enough. To answer your last question: they don't have to justify it, they sell them anyway, many companies buy their staff economy then someone like yourself says "wouldn't mind sitting in business on the way home". Whatever you do, hope you have a good flight regards
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:52 am

You're absolutely right - I had already check the R/T fare (same flights) purchased ex-ICN, vs ex-BKK, and it is more than 30% cheaper! Well, I'll see what they say at the airport - but it's probably a useless exercise. I notice that these standby upgrades have also gone up in price substantially in the recent past. I remember when BKK-HKG or vv was only around 6000 baht (now it's 7300 I believe), and ofcourse that's back when the baht was like 40 to the dollar as well, now it's just over 32. Those 2 factors together make for some very UNattractive prices! Thanks for everyone's input and comments!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:57 pm

Was at the airport last night, and here's an interesting twist to the story! The check-in agent told me that if the ticket had been bought in Korea (where the prices are cheaper anyway on the same route), that the upgrade cost one-way is only about US$100! (and she confirmed that the cost for me upgrading for my R/T ticket bought in Bangkok was indeed > US$400 O/W)!!!

Go figure!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
It is crazy, isn't chaker, now you know why many of us ask, how much is such and such a fare from Korea or Japan. Whilst away we will pop into a country and store up on some tickets, often they are so reasonable we can throw away the last sector or put it into the bottom drawer
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: ROP
can I standby upgrade a w fare from BKK to SYD?

Am thinking of buying a package which includes accom and air fare.
The airfare will be W class.

Is it possible to pay for a standby upgrade for last sector BKK to SYD?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jkbaus

Shouldn't be a problem but you still won't get any points.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: ROP
Thanks for quick response.
Whats the procedure eg what desk to go to, do I do it before check in, how long before departure time should I be there, can I then use the business class lounge?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:11 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Go to the desk of the class you will be upgrading to. So you will go to the Business Check in at door 1. They'll make sure there is room and tell you how much. They will give you a paper and send you to the service desk to pay. Then you'll go through the business immigration/security queue as well. I'd get there early enough to enjoy the lounge but more important to enjoy the free head/neck or foot massage in the TG Spa in concourse D.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jkbaus

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Shouldn't be a problem but you still won't get any points.
International W fares are non-mileage accumulating (except during June/July for the 50th anniversary) and state explicity 'no change, no upgrade, no residual value' etc...

Might as well give a try however, who knows what will happen.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:41 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
International W fares are non-mileage accumulating (except during June/July for the 50th anniversary) and state explicity 'no change, no upgrade, no residual value' etc...

Might as well give a try however, who knows what will happen.
Mmm...I wasn't aware that all W fares are mileage earning during June/July. Is this at 100% mileage accrual and is it possible to GUP these too? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.