Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I have a trip to Europe in the first half of April (4/1-4/15). I am a US citizen, resident in the US and I'll be transiting but not staying in Portugal flying TAP. I currently hold a Swiss digital vaccine certificate with a 270-day validity through May 15. My understanding as far as transiting Portugal under the current rules (always subject to change of course) is that I should be good to go without a pre-departure test. Is that correct?
Correct because you hold a digital certificate which is allied to the EU's system. I would hope that by April there would be further easing of restrictions so that a CDC card will work as well. It makes no difference if transiting or entering Portugal incidentally, the rules are the same.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:55 pm

Thanks and yeah I am hoping by April things relax too.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Expert Flyer is no longer showing that CDC cards are not accepted. Has that changed now? Are they accepting the CDC vaccination card now in lieu of taking a test?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Expert Flyer is no longer showing that CDC cards are not accepted. Has that changed now? Are they accepting the CDC vaccination card now in lieu of taking a test?
No, there has been no change since Feb 19.

Officially, CDC cards are not accepted, nor are BinaxNow proctored antigen tests.

That said, Timatic doesn't show the CDC card exclusion, so if you're checking in with an airline that uses Timatic, you should be able to check in, and then hope you don't have an issue upon arrival.

The below is from Sherpa, for those flying airlines such as AC that use that system:

Most travelers from United States (see 178 additional countries) must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (or similar NAAT) test result. The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before the first departure to Portugal. Alternatively, travelers may present a laboratory antigen test (TRAg) taken a maximum of 24 hours before departure to Portugal. Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel. The results must be in Portuguese, French, English, Spanish, or Italian and may be presented in paper or digital format. Self-tests are not accepted.

Last edited by work2fly; Mar 1, 2022 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by work2fly
The below is from Sherpa, for those flying airlines such as AC that use that system:
TAP also uses Sherpa and the quote represents a correct exposition as I understand it. The "approved EU Health Committee" bit I would not take too seriously, no-one is checking that aspect.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by work2fly
No, there has been no change since Feb 19.

Officially, CDC cards are not accepted, nor are BinaxNow proctored antigen tests.

That said, Timatic doesn't show the CDC card exclusion, so if you're checking in with an airline that uses Timatic, you should be able to check in, and then hope you don't have an issue upon arrival.

That's ridiculous, no other European country has such a rule, and Binax Now is accepted elsewhere. Portugal is really limiting its tourism in this manner by not accepting the US documents (but the US government has idled in getting this issue fixed as well with a full year to adjust it now).

Update: I had no problem using Binax Now test, but the EWR staff seem dumber than a door nail. Also, no lounge available for biz class pax after 9pm. Newark is worse than some airports in Africa/Central Asia when it comes to pax services/transfers

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Mar 2, 2022 at 6:25 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:04 pm

HI
Sorry it this is repetitive but there is alot of conflicting info here
I want to ensue I got this right

I am travelling from CAnada to Spain via Lisbon on TAP
I understand that Portugal does not accept by Ontario vaccination record?
That being said if you are in transit do you need to have a negative test? RAT in 24 hours or PCR in 72 hours?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by llbean
I am travelling from CAnada to Spain via Lisbon on TAP
I understand that Portugal does not accept by Ontario vaccination record?
That being said if you are in transit do you need to have a negative test? RAT in 24 hours or PCR in 72 hours?
At the moment, you indeed need tests at those timings, plus the Portugal PLF, even if transferring via LIS and staying airside. Your vaccination record isn't considered sufficient to avoid the tests.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:56 pm

So my flights into and out of Portugal all went perfectly fine. By the time I arrived from EWR my PCR results had arrived, so I used them to enter Portugal however the customs officer barely even checked the paperwork, just a cursory glance. The person checking my paperwork in LHR on the way back through LIS actually checked the paperwork more thoroughly. Overall though I had no problems and my trip to London went fantastically.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it required to have a test to enter Portugal if arriving from another EU country?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it required to have a test to enter Portugal if arriving from another EU country?
The distinction now is whether you have a European Digital Covid certificate, or a certicate which is aligned with DCC - not the country from which you are arriving. So I went from USA to Portugal without needing a test since I hold the NHS app, which is aligned to the DCC. If I went from France, UK or pretty much anywhere then no tests needed. However someone without that DCC or equivalent - for example someone with the US CDC card - would need to get tests whether travelling from France, UK, USA or pretty much anywhere. It's just travel within Portugal and their autoonomous islands that is exempt from this criteria.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:44 am

I did a RT-LAMP NAAT test administed online by Switch HEalth in CAnada. This is the kit that AIr Canada allows and sells. You get supervised by someone online to do it. It was negative and is 72 hours before my flight
Is this accepted as a valid test and able to get me transit through portugal back to Canada?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I did a RT-LAMP NAAT test administed online by Switch HEalth in CAnada. This is the kit that AIr Canada allows and sells. You get supervised by someone online to do it. It was negative and is 72 hours before my flight
Is this accepted as a valid test and able to get me transit through portugal back to Canada?
Below please find the guidance from Portugal:

Tests
a. Controls might be undertaken upon arrival to airport;

b. The test result performed in a test certified centre must include:
- type of test taken;
- passenger name (as per passport);
- date of birth;
- clear identification of the laboratory including the certification;
- the date and time the sample was collected and the explicit negative test result;
SMS is not a valid format.
Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Tests accepted according to the European Commission list based on the Council Recommendation of 21 January 2021 + Addendum.
This says the test must be performed in a test centre, and that aligns with the guidance I posted up thread from Sherpa that says "self tests are not accepted"

From a practical standpoint, however, I think the acceptance of the test is up to the airline taking you to LIS. There is lots of anecdotal evidence of airlines accepting self-tests (Binax now for one) and even the authorities in LIS accepting the US CDC cards, which are officially not acceptable.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:07 pm

I don't know about the Canada end, but in terms of transit through LIS with TAP I would expect this to be OK.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am doing a 21 hour transit coming from RAK thru LIS and then on to EWR. I have the Swiss covid pass on my phone. It is confusing even looking at Sherpa. I think I need a test before getting on the plane in RAK and then I will need to get another test in LIS for my onward flight to the US. I will ask at the TAP desk in RAK when I arrive there from MAD to be sure what I think is correct is actually correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.