Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Does Portugal recognize the white US vaccination card as proof? I didn't see that listed on one of the visit Portugal website pages.
That's basically the point I was making in the last few posts. At least on the government website, they have listed the EU DCC and the other countries that have agreements with the EU (with the exception of Uruguay for some reason). These countries all have a central database and validation process, as well as a reciprocity deal with the EU, which seems to me to be impossible for the USA to follow. Portugal has steered towards closer alignment with the EU's guidelines compared to the previous period when CDC cards were accepted. I do know that TAP are not at the moment accepting CDC cards as a reason to not get tested, whereas they are accepting EU DCC. Ditto the teams in LIS airport meeting arriving flights - if you have an EU DCC or similar they want to see that and a PLF, not the test results. My suspicion is that CDC cards will be allowed at some point, but it may require the EU to move on this first.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's basically the point I was making in the last few posts. At least on the government website, they have listed the EU DCC and the other countries that have agreements with the EU (with the exception of Uruguay for some reason). These countries all have a central database and validation process, as well as a reciprocity deal with the EU, which seems to me to be impossible for the USA to follow. Portugal has steered towards closer alignment with the EU's guidelines compared to the previous period when CDC cards were accepted. I do know that TAP are not at the moment accepting CDC cards as a reason to not get tested, whereas they are accepting EU DCC. Ditto the teams in LIS airport meeting arriving flights - if you have an EU DCC or similar they want to see that and a PLF, not the test results. My suspicion is that CDC cards will be allowed at some point, but it may require the EU to move on this first.
My apologies, I forgot that the CDC card is the same thing as the white US vaccine card.

I also have the California vaccine app with a QR code but that is also not accepted in the EU.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I also have the California vaccine app with a QR code but that is also not accepted in the EU.
Yes, and from what I can make out it would be compatible with the EU DCC. But unfortunately I imagine the EU would be looking for a Federal solution, even though California would be larger than most EU member states.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:40 pm

Yes, and from what I can make out it would be compatible with the EU DCC. But unfortunately I imagine the EU would be looking for a Federal solution, even though California would be larger than most EU member states.
Same with the NYS Excelsior pass. It would be compatible with the EU DCC.

I'm hoping this issue is cleared up very soon, I'm flying to Portugal in a little over 10 days and would rather not have to deal with the hassle of a stupid Covid test. Also TAP's own tool they refer you to to check travel restrictions says no test is necessary if flying from the USA however once you actually click into the fine print of it, it says otherwise. I can see quite a few confused people because of that.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
So here's what the "proof of vaccination" on Sherpa is saying for travel to Portugal today........

DescriptionTravelers who are fully vaccinated must present a valid vaccination certificate. Travelers must have received all doses required of the vaccine, including a combination of two different vaccines, at least 14 days before travel and no more than 270 days before travel. Travelers that have received a booster dose may have had their last dose outside the 14-270 day window. Vaccine certificates issued by third countries are accepted under reciprocal conditions, and the vaccines must be approved by EMA (Janssen, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria, Moderna/Spikevax, Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Novavax/Nuvaxovid). Additional vaccines may be approved for travel to Madeira. Please see the source for more details. Currently, recovery certificates from Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City are accepted under reciprocity. Travelers with access to the EU Digital Certificate, non-EU countries with certificates accepted by the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, or NHS COVID Pass may use it to present proof. The US CDC card is not accepted. Travelers unable to present a valid certificate are required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travelers.

...... notice that they single out the US CDC card as not acceptable.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aired
So here's what the "proof of vaccination" on Sherpa is saying for travel to Portugal today........

DescriptionTravelers who are fully vaccinated must present a valid vaccination certificate. Travelers must have received all doses required of the vaccine, including a combination of two different vaccines, at least 14 days before travel and no more than 270 days before travel. Travelers that have received a booster dose may have had their last dose outside the 14-270 day window. Vaccine certificates issued by third countries are accepted under reciprocal conditions, and the vaccines must be approved by EMA (Janssen, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria, Moderna/Spikevax, Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Novavax/Nuvaxovid). Additional vaccines may be approved for travel to Madeira. Please see the source for more details. Currently, recovery certificates from Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City are accepted under reciprocity. Travelers with access to the EU Digital Certificate, non-EU countries with certificates accepted by the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, or NHS COVID Pass may use it to present proof. The US CDC card is not accepted. Travelers unable to present a valid certificate are required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travelers.

...... notice that they single out the US CDC card as not acceptable.
US citizens need COVID test results with 48-h (antigen) or 72-h (PCR) window of arrivals along with CDC cards. Hotel check-in also has the same windows of testing results. So, do not do testing too early in case that there is a flight delay and arriving at hotel late. My recent flight was delayed by five hours. If one changes hotel stay, he/she needs a new COVID test in Portugal before checking into a new hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So what about Canadian citizens, can they travel to Portugal? We are boostered up. Flight is March 31 to OPO
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
As mentioned in the link I posted, its vague as to the Canadian passengers, I'm also Canadian and do this route (YYZ-LIS) aprox. every 6 weeks, normally i get the Antigen test done at Shoppers, in November Portugal was NOT requiring tests as long as you were Vaxxed and i flew that route at least once with just my Canadian Vax certificate (2shots) with no problem. I flying to LIS again on the 18th, we'll see how it goes, i'm planning on using just my Vax certificate again unless I hear different.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
US citizens need COVID test results with 48-h (antigen) or 72-h (PCR) window of arrivals along with CDC cards. Hotel check-in also has the same windows of testing results. So, do not do testing too early in case that there is a flight delay and arriving at hotel late. My recent flight was delayed by five hours. If one changes hotel stay, he/she needs a new COVID test in Portugal before checking into a new hotel.
Unfortunately the antigen requirement for arrival into Portugal got changed on Monday from 48 hours to 24 hours, to align with EU recommendations. This isn't specific to US citizens, it is for anyone unable to use the EU DCC or the third country equivalents. It's still 48 hours in the Azores, no restrictions for direct flights to Maderia / Funchal, and no restrictions domestic flights apart from the PLF. So if travelling from USA or Canada to Ponta Delgado it can be 48 hours at the moment, even if you then continue to the mainland. And PCR remains 72 hours in all cases.

Having said that, in the last 10 days or so, countries across Europe have been reducing their controls and some will remove all COVID restrictions altogether in the next few weeks so long as current downward trends are maintained. So while the situation for USA and Canadian travellers to Portugal is currently somewhat sticky, due to the lack of a central database, I don't think it will be so for much longer.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aired
As mentioned in the link I posted, its vague as to the Canadian passengers, I'm also Canadian and do this route (YYZ-LIS) aprox. every 6 weeks, normally i get the Antigen test done at Shoppers, in November Portugal was NOT requiring tests as long as you were Vaxxed and i flew that route at least once with just my Canadian Vax certificate (2shots) with no problem. I flying to LIS again on the 18th, we'll see how it goes, i'm planning on using just my Vax certificate again unless I hear different.
Perfect please do provide an update. But the risk is the airline denying boarding if a test is required.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:29 pm

Portugal is really more restrictive than before. It is also impossible to get antigen 24 hours before arriving at hotels. Last month, I took a test before 10:00 am EST (3 pm Portugal time) and my flight arrived 5 hours behind the schedule. Due to the slow immigration processing, I did not arrive at my hotel until 3:30 pm.

Mandatory EU Covid Digital Certificate in all modes or complete vaccination certificate or negative RT-PCR test (valid for 72h) or Rapid negative antigen test (valid for 24h) when accessing:
- Tourist establishments and local accommodation;
- Restaurants (except on open terraces) ;
- Cultural shows;
- Events with reserved seats;
- Gyms.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:52 pm

You can get a Lateral Flow / antigen test after arrival at LIS airport, for the hotel requirements, it costs around 30€ and this may work for a resort hotel in say Faro. But if staying for a few days and wanting to visit different restaurants, at some point this gets impractical.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:35 pm

You can get a Lateral Flow / antigen test after arrival at LIS airport, for the hotel requirements, it costs around 30€ and this may work for a resort hotel in say Faro. But if staying for a few days and wanting to visit different restaurants, at some point this gets impractical.
CDC card was sufficient for me when dinning at any restaurant, for example, I visited Time out Market (lot of dining options) on different days. Hotel stay is another stay. For US citizens, COVID test results must be presented at checkin. If one changes hotel, a new test must be obtained. There are a lot of COViD testing trailers throughout Lisbon. It is not difficult to get a test. My hotel sent me testing site info before I arrived.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
CDC card was sufficient for me when dinning at any restaurant, for example, I visited Time out Market (lot of dining options) on different days. Hotel stay is another stay. For US citizens, COVID test results must be presented at checkin. If one changes hotel, a new test must be obtained. There are a lot of COViD testing trailers throughout Lisbon. It is not difficult to get a test. My hotel sent me testing site info before I arrived.
Well restaurants aren't overjoyed with these restrictions, older Portuguese citizens aren't necessarily app happy either. So particularly smaller locations, owner run places (and in Portugal these are often the best restaurants, as well as the best value restaurants) I'm sure any evidence of vaccination will be fine. Worst case scenario you end up in the next door restaurant which is just as good. They don't necessarily check every guest either, even though they are supposed to do so. Larger hotels, yes I suspect they will stick close to the rules particularly if there is a corporate owner.

Indeed almost every pharmacy will do tests too, it's much easier, faster and cheaper to get tested in Portugal than USA or Canada.
sfvoyage and Aired like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:14 am

Well restaurants aren't overjoyed with these restrictions, older Portuguese citizens aren't necessarily app happy either. So particularly smaller locations, owner run places (and in Portugal these are often the best restaurants, as well as the best value restaurants) I'm sure any evidence of vaccination will be fine. Worst case scenario you end up in the next door restaurant which is just as good. They don't necessarily check every guest either, even though they are supposed to do so. Larger hotels, yes I suspect they will stick close to the rules particularly if there is a corporate owner.

Indeed almost every pharmacy will do tests too, it's much easier, faster and cheaper to get tested in Portugal than USA or Canada.
I was thinking many restaurants won't be too fussy about vaccine proof, so thanks for your observations. Also good to learn that testing is easy at pharmacies in Portugal.

BTW, I've been emailing a couple of hotels in Lisbon and Porto, and they told me I should bring my original (not photocopy) white US CDC card for entry into restaurants, museums etc. They did not mention requiring a negative covid test result (in addition to the vaccine card) for checking in at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.