Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:35 am

Has anyone used Abbox Binax antigen tests to fly on TAP *to USA from Africa*? TAP flights from several african countries, e.g. Gambia, Ghana etc. Do we have any datapoints if TAP agents at these outstations accept the abbott test?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I believe the amendment doesn't come into force until 01 December, so there's a day to squeeze in on the strength of a vaccination certificate

I assume this is also true for transit?

Edit: based on tap portugal website answer is yes.

Last edited by Warriorconcept; Dec 11, 2021 at 9:50 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi

With the updated rules from 1 December, can anyone confirm if a self test antigen is acceptable for travel to Portugal from the UK which comes with a travel certificate?

Most websites like Sherpa, travel docs, IATA or FCO seem to make no mention of the type of antigen test. Jet2 say in person test only and not video link or at home and visit Portugal says labratorial only so presumably meaning the same.

Due to fly in 5 days and I have purchased self test for the family but worried they may not be accepted.

Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited by Neilgcal; Dec 13, 2021 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Hi all,

There for sure is some confusion and I'm not sure if it's down to bad translation, or lack of enforcement.

As stated here: Mandatory negative test for all flights arriving in Portugal, even for those who have a digital vaccination certificate, regardless of the point of origin of the flight or the passenger's nationality:

- RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
- Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Test - 48h before boarding, or
- A valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate, or

A accepted 'Antigen' test has to be in line with EU Guidance here: covid-19_rat_common-list_en.pdf (europa.eu)

It states 'Self Tests' are not accepted:#

The EU common list of antigen tests does not include rapid antigen self-tests. It only includes those rapid antigen tests that are conducted by trained healthcare personnel or trained operators where appropriate (in line with Commission Recommendation (EU) 20202/1743 of 18 November 2020).

This is where I am confused, do they mean ones such as the NHS tests (in the UK). Our private Antigen tests are on the list: Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test as accepted. So are these self tests accepted or do we need to get someone to do it for us.

Very confusing and worrying considering our trip is next week!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
There for sure is some confusion and I'm not sure if it's down to bad translation, or lack of enforcement.

As stated here: Mandatory negative test for all flights arriving in Portugal, even for those who have a digital vaccination certificate, regardless of the point of origin of the flight or the passenger's nationality:

- RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
- Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Test - 48h before boarding, or
- A valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate, or
I'm definitely confused! I had Covid in early November and have a UK NHS recovery certificate, which is apparently an accepted equivalent to an EU recovery certificate. The above suggests to me that I can use my recovery certificate in lieu of a test, but I don't want to arrive in Lisbon and get fined or sent home again! At the same time, taking an administered test is quite a bit of hassle and, having recently recovered, I stand a fair chance of testing positive. So many places say not to take PCR tests in the 180 days after original diagnosis/positive test result.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I'm definitely confused! I had Covid in early November and have a UK NHS recovery certificate, which is apparently an accepted equivalent to an EU recovery certificate. The above suggests to me that I can use my recovery certificate in lieu of a test, but I don't want to arrive in Lisbon and get fined or sent home again! At the same time, taking an administered test is quite a bit of hassle and, having recently recovered, I stand a fair chance of testing positive. So many places say not to take PCR tests in the 180 days after original diagnosis/positive test result.
I reached out to Qured who in short did say a video supervised test is not considered a self test and thus valid. Lets see if that is the case in practice!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
I reached out to Qured who in short did say a video supervised test is not considered a self test and thus valid. Lets see if that is the case in practice!
With so many companies globally offering different certificates, I do wonder how well the Portuguese authorities will be able to identify the test type they are looking for. Good luck, and please post how you get on with a Qured test.
Ryanfozzie and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
I wouldn't chance loosing my flight over an uncertainty as that, the last few months when vaccine proof sufficed, there were people being turned away at YYZ (TAP check in) for the first 2 wks as staff were not properly updated on the new regs. I flew twice in that time span and both times I did an Antigen (at the Pharmacy) as back up....... the first time they didn't ask, but when I said I had it, they checked it, the second time there was no mention from either me or them, but ironically, I witnessed a check in rep. insisting that the passenger pronide a Negative covid test, until the representative next to her whispered that its not necessary. Just lack of communication that doesn't help matters.
mikew99, ankomonkey, mmff and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:47 am

I'll be doing a layover tomorrow morning and will have a pcr test for it, I'll be doing another layover on Tuesday and I'll be using the Webcam proctor US Abbott rapid test. Hope it works...
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
The above suggests to me that I can use my recovery certificate in lieu of a test, but I don't want to arrive in Lisbon and get fined or sent home again!
The risk is not that you will arrive LIS and be sent back; the risk is that you will be denied boarding at your point of departure due to no proper test documentation. If you get on the flight it is almost certain that you will also be allowed to enter Portugal.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
@Warriorconcept - how did it go? I have a layover myself in a couple of weeks and was counting on using the US Abbott rapid test as well. Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by enfuego
@Warriorconcept - how did it go? I have a layover myself in a couple of weeks and was counting on using the US Abbott rapid test as well. Thanks!
I showed the results on the navienca app and went through without a problem.
Graciecatt and ankomonkey like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The risk is not that you will arrive LIS and be sent back; the risk is that you will be denied boarding at your point of departure due to no proper test documentation. If you get on the flight it is almost certain that you will also be allowed to enter Portugal.
I decided to take the risk and, fortunately, things went fine. I have a UK NHS recovery certificate that automatically appeared on my NHS Covid app vaccination certificate after I'd tested positive on an NHS PCR test about 50 days ago. I had seen many media reports saying a negative test result was required for all 12 and older entering Portugal. We were allowed to enter Portugal and enter a football match, restaurants, Lisboa Wonderland and everything else we wanted to.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:12 pm

Just FYI, TP currently states the following in their list of travel restrictions to America:

It is important to note that the new 24 hour testing requirement applies to all passengers 2 years in age and older regardless of vaccination status. Accepted tests are NAAT or viral antigen tests cleared, approved or issued emergency use authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ('FDA'). Passengers who do not comply with this requirement can be denied boarding.
This is contrary to the CDC official mandate, which specifically mentions that America requires the test to be done the day before the flight (and not 24 hours before the flight):
The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.
For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.
I was on TP201 earlier this month and did my COVID test 28 hours prior to boarding. The check-in agent mumbled a few words about the 24-hour cut-off but the supervisor told her that "the wording was misleading" and that "the passenger can travel". I do not know how complicated it would have been if the supervisor had not been closeby because the whole check-in area at LIS was a circus of epic proportions.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Portugal apparently will no longer require negative tests for vaccinated people. Does anyone know since when? Since right now, since weekend, since Monday, since Feb 10th?

Governo deixa cair exigência de teste negativo para entrar em Portugal
https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc22/...inistros?i=468
EDDLEGLL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.