Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For recovery certificates, where there is also a vaccination confirmed, then I can see why that would be allowed. But that doesn't make a CDC card valid and so far I cannot see Portugal (the state) having changed this. On the other hand it is purely a matter of time before they do change it, and your trip isn't until June, so I'd look at this again in 6 weeks.

The queuing time at Schengen immigration does vary, I have seen huge queues on occasions but equally relatively short ones too. It's a factor of whether aircraft arrving close together and staffing of the immigration area, in a county which has recently had very high levels of COVID-19 - at one point 12% of Portugal was down with the virus. BA.2 seems on its way out so that aspect should get better.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
So here's another update as I just returned from Portugal yesterday.....it was suggested earlier in this thread that although Portugal is not (at this time) accepting Canadian Vax certificates or CDC from the US, ultimately it's the airline's responsibility to monitor this, and I can now confirm this annoying inconsistency. My last YYZ-LIs was in Feb and TAP would not accept Canadian Vax certificate, therefore I had to do an Antigen at that time........I did this route again on April 9, but this time with another carrier (AC) and as I uploaded my vax certificate to their online check in, it gave me a green "Pass" for all necessary documentation. I confirmed when i physically checked in at the airport in order not to get hung up at the gate, also to show my Passenger Locator Form, the agent confirmed that no Antigen test was necessary as long as I had my last shot within the allotted time frame, so off I went but to reiterate the inconsistency, two of my business partners joined me later, one flew TAP and almost lost his flight because they made him get a rush Antigen test, and the other flew AT (transat) and was also told he did not need an Antigen test.
BTW since I am a dual citizen I managed to get my EU passport while I was in Portugal in order to cover all bases incase they don't lighten up soon on this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That is super annoying. I just went back to the visit portugal site to see when the regulations had been updated since I thought it had been awhile. It says they were last updated April 11, which surprised me, until I realized that there was no change with the update.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
That is super annoying. I just went back to the visit portugal site to see when the regulations had been updated since I thought it had been awhile. It says they were last updated April 11, which surprised me, until I realized that there was no change with the update.
Not quite: Colombia and Malaysia have joined the European vaccination certification scheme, so in the new version you will see that those vaccinated in these countries can now visit with just their vaccine certificates.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:56 pm

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...scrapped/66542

Passenger locator forms to be scrapped for Portugal visitors.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ooooh that would be awesome! One less thing to remember! I wish there'd been a date on the PLF removal
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:12 pm

The TAP website has an update dated 4/22/22 saying that vaccination certificates from the US, Canada, Brazil, etc. are accepted for entry to Portugal. https://www.flytap.com/en-us/alerts-...d-9b4baec90209.

However, the Visit Portugal website updated its list of countries for which vaccination certificates are accepted, also on April 22, and the countries on the TAP website aren't on it. https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

Anyone know whether Portugal is now accepting American vaccine certificates or not?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by glboisvert
Anyone know whether Portugal is now accepting American vaccine certificates or not?
Have a look at the discussion at post 163 and ongoing. The law hasn't changed (but it's bound to change at some point) so CDC certificates are not accepted. What I think they are saying is that "vaccine and recovery certificates" from the USA are ok, but that's not the same as a "vaccine certificate", let alone a CDC card. If your trip is in the next week or two I would plan on getting PCR or lateral flow test (rapid Antigen). If it's further off then with any luck a CDC card, or the Canadian equivalent, will be OK.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:36 am

Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag test VS the EU accepted Panbio BinaxNOW Test

I am traveling to Portugal in a week. I have used the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag proctored test to re-enter the US multiple times this year and was going to use the test for entry to Portugal. I looked up the EU accepted tests and the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag test is not accepted. The Panbio one was accepted and is not sold in the US. Someone posted this info earlier but I went directly to the EU Health site to find the accepted tests. The proctored Abbott Binax test to return has been easy to use. Back to the drawing board on scheduling a test prior to travel.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:48 am

Just to make sure - so European (German) COVID pass (QR code in the app, but can also print out) is accepted for entry to Portugal by a US resident flying from the US?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Just to make sure - so European (German) COVID pass (QR code in the app, but can also print out) is accepted for entry to Portugal by a US resident flying from the US?
That's the one I have used on TAP from the USA myself, including on the first day the restrictions were partly lifted. I just showed the Corona-Warn app, but there is a screen which pans down to give the date of the jab and vaccine details - that's the one they like to see.
Graciecatt and tr3k like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by traveler70
I am traveling to Portugal in a week. I have used the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag proctored test to re-enter the US multiple times this year and was going to use the test for entry to Portugal. I looked up the EU accepted tests and the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag test is not accepted. The Panbio one was accepted and is not sold in the US. Someone posted this info earlier but I went directly to the EU Health site to find the accepted tests. The proctored Abbott Binax test to return has been easy to use. Back to the drawing board on scheduling a test prior to travel.
I would not worry about that. It is a formal requirement, and in reality there are only half a dozen lateral flow manufacturers, but hundreds of marketing agents. You appear to have seen the list - there are hundreds of entries. They are not checking this list. So long as you have the key details on the test certificate (name, date of birth, date of test, test result) nothing else matters.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a look at the discussion at post 163 and ongoing. The law hasn't changed (but it's bound to change at some point) so CDC certificates are not accepted. What I think they are saying is that "vaccine and recovery certificates" from the USA are ok, but that's not the same as a "vaccine certificate", let alone a CDC card. If your trip is in the next week or two I would plan on getting PCR or lateral flow test (rapid Antigen). If it's further off then with any luck a CDC card, or the Canadian equivalent, will be OK.
Surely that verbiage means a CDC card from the US is acceptable for TAP flights. CDC card = vaccine certificate for Americans.

The list includes other non-EU countries that represent large numbers of travelers to Portugal, especially Brazil and Canada. To my knowledge there's not any one thing called a "vaccine and recovery certificate".
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by jchock1
The list includes other non-EU countries that represent large numbers of travelers to Portugal, especially Brazil and Canada. To my knowledge there's not any one thing called a "vaccine and recovery certificate".
Brazilians arriving into LIS are either bringing test results, were vaccinated in Portugal or getting digital certificates via Brazil's neighbour countries, from what I've seen. The standard wording on recovery certificates would also indicate vaccination status. This will change, but at the moment the official website VisitPortugal clearly indicates that CDC cards are not sufficient (and was recently updated) and so I don't think it is wise to rely on CDC cards just yet. My feeling is that we are only weeks away from a more widespread liberalisation, given the evolution of COVID-19 in Europe and Portugal.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Brazilians arriving into LIS are either bringing test results, were vaccinated in Portugal or getting digital certificates via Brazil's neighbour countries, from what I've seen. The standard wording on recovery certificates would also indicate vaccination status. This will change, but at the moment the official website VisitPortugal clearly indicates that CDC cards are not sufficient (and was recently updated) and so I don't think it is wise to rely on CDC cards just yet. My feeling is that we are only weeks away from a more widespread liberalisation, given the evolution of COVID-19 in Europe and Portugal.
As someone who's traveling in a week, this is disheartening that I have to get all the logistics in order that I could have skipped had I delayed by trip by a month lol

Edit: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal this website shows people testifying that they stopped asking for negative test recently... hmmm

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 27, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.