Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests for Portugal and TAP [Suspended 30 June 2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
So you still had to go to the check-in desk? I thought you said the paper BP was issued at the gate.

We are flying BOS-EWR on UA then separate ticket EWR-LIS-BCN. I was hoping to get a real BP online at 24 hours before take off like normal and avoid having to leave airside once we land at EWR to go to the TAP check-in desk at EWR then go back through security. The issue is the EWR TAP check in desk doesn't open until around 2 pm and we land from BOS at 9:30.

I was hoping to have a real BP from TAP so we could stay airside once we land at EWR
We originated at ORD, and had to check-in a bag, which got us a paper BP naturally. They were calling out names at the gate to come and get the TAP issued paper BP (they knew who did not have one).
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by atsc
We originated at ORD, and had to check-in a bag, which got us a paper BP naturally. They were calling out names at the gate to come and get the TAP issued paper BP (they knew who did not have one).
And we had TAP app BP in advance which showed TSA precheck, which I assume would have worked, had we not gone to the check-in desk.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by atsc
I was hoping to have a real BP from TAP so we could stay airside once we land at EWR
OK if I try to clarify this
1) At T-36, sometimes T-24, you will get an automated email with a link to Amadeus
2) If you click this link you get checked in.
3) If you use the print option, this gives you a paper or digital boarding pass, depending on whether you have access to a printer
4) This version is good enough for checkpoints and includes PreCheck where applicable - you add the Trusted Traveler details during stage 2. It's also ok for lounge access.
5) HOWEVER: this paper or digitial version is not good enough to travel - at the boarding gate TAP will replace it with let's call it a card boarding pass AFTER they have checked your credentials. Technically this hinges over a status known as ADOC, which needs to be put on the boarding pass to get you on the aircraft, but ADOC is needed elsewhere.
6) ALTERNATIVELY, instead of 5, you can go to check-in and get a card boarding pass there instead.
7) There are usually agents hanging around departure gates an hour before boarding and at some point they will ask for people to come forward for checking the paper cards.
8) There is therefore no point going to the gate until an hour before departure, you can stay in the lounge if you have access, for example.
9) You could show up say 30 minutes to departure, when perhaps they are final boarding. You won't get the warmest smile but checking credentials and printing a card boarding pass takes just a minute or two.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You will be fine. They just want a decent bit of paperwork showing your name, test date and negative status. No need to overthink this one.
Just wanted to provide an update. On May 13 we flew out of SFO to Lisbon on TAP and they only asked for vaccination cards (because we got our boosters in Dec these were valid). I think the last shot had to be within 270 days, otherwise you need to show a negative test result. Getting back into USA we needed a negative test which we did online via eMed, an easy process.

My friend who met us in Lisbon had a similar experience out of Chicago on TAP.

Hope this helps.

As an aside a few notes on luggage:
1) The SFO crew did not measure or weigh any carry on items. It was great.
2) the Lisbon crew at the gate out of Portugal weighed and measured every carry on item and made tons of people check bags and otherwise unpack luggage etc. It was terrible, and unnecessary. 8kg is way to low of a weight limit and resulted in many people just carrying clothes on in a bundle (so long as it is not in the bag right?).
3) On top of this TAP lost my luggage on the direct flight home - I have no idea how that is possible as my wife and I checked out luggage at the same time and she got hers. Did I mention it was a direct flight!

I will never be flying TAP again, for many reasons, outside of the luggage fiasco.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Libertines
Just wanted to provide an update. On May 13 we flew out of SFO to Lisbon on TAP and they only asked for vaccination cards (because we got our boosters in Dec these were valid). I think the last shot had to be within 270 days, otherwise you need to show a negative test result. Getting back into USA we needed a negative test which we did online via eMed, an easy process.

My friend who met us in Lisbon had a similar experience out of Chicago on TAP.

Hope this helps.

As an aside a few notes on luggage:
1) The SFO crew did not measure or weigh any carry on items. It was great.
2) the Lisbon crew at the gate out of Portugal weighed and measured every carry on item and made tons of people check bags and otherwise unpack luggage etc. It was terrible, and unnecessary. 8kg is way to low of a weight limit and resulted in many people just carrying clothes on in a bundle (so long as it is not in the bag right?).
3) On top of this TAP lost my luggage on the direct flight home - I have no idea how that is possible as my wife and I checked out luggage at the same time and she got hers. Did I mention it was a direct flight!

I will never be flying TAP again, for many reasons, outside of the luggage fiasco.
Thank you Libertines I live in fear of lost luggage. We are doing 3 countries in 18 days with a carryon and a backpack, although I have checked my carryon for flights home in the past and may do it again. 8 kg seems like nothing! We are only flying TAP one way and Turkish home so I have a higher degree of confidence about not needing to worry about the weight thing.

Last edited by Graciecatt; May 28, 2022 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
corporate-wage-slave we’ve had a great day at EWR! We got our TAP boarding pass at T - 24 hours. We landed in Terminal C this morning and went straight to the Polaris lounge, where we spent most of our time. Then we took the shuttle and are now in the Lufthansa lounge outside our gate. We have yet to go over to the gate to present our EUDCC but so far the day has been better than anticipated 🤞😉. Thank you for all your help over the last few months.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
My Last YYZ-LIS was May21-29,...... at YYZ all I needed was the Vax certificate ( no more Passenger Locator or Covid test) and same on the return, they didn't even ask about the ArriveCan info anymore.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:29 pm

I'm flying YYZ-LIS-LHR with a 1.5 hr transit in Lisbon. I've been made aware that as a intl-to-intl transit, I won't have to pass immigration. I'm triple vaxxed (within 270 days). Do transit passengers need to show negative tests? All the material I've seen has been for passengers entering the country that need the test. I'm just not entirely sure whether transit passengers are considered "entering the country" if we don't pass immigration. Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming you were vaccinated in Canada or the USA, there are 2 valid answers, but before we come on to those, the transit aspect isn't relevant. Portugal imposes the same restrictions for flights arriving on the Portugal mainland for those arriving and those in transit, whether Portugal, Schengen, or not Schengen. The two valid answers are that if you don't have an EU or EU recognised vaccine certificate then you are supposed to get a PCR or Rapid Antigen test. EU recognised certificates covers many countries, including some in the Americas, but not USA or Canada. The other valid answer is that from numerous reports in this thread, TAP is accepting USA and Canadian vaccine certicates and therefore not looking at test results. Which makes it difficult for me to give an authorative reply, but the safest reply I can give is to try and get a low cost antigen test certificate in your back pocket just in case it is needed. Though there are various rules on that too, I suspect something in date and with the word "negative" or "not detected" will be fine.
ffay005, eyeween and Aired like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Portugal has been recognizing US and Canada proof of vaccination among others, but it was hard to find this proof in writing, even with their flag carrier directly:

https://www.flytap.com/en-ca/alerts-...d-9b4baec90209

The information on Timatic does not reflect this which causes the confusion, plus the fact that the EU has not reached agreement to accept Canadian proof of vaccination even with QR codes is odd.

I am transiting LIS twice in the coming week and expect zero issues, as a fully-vaccinated Canadian with a booster within the past 270 days, which is current the EU standard.
scoobybpc likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:27 am

Portuguese law says that USA and Canada vaccine cards are not accepted, but both TAP and the authorities in LIS are being pragmatic and that's reflected in that page on TAP. But it makes it difficult for me to give advice since pragmatism doesn't always inspire conviction when it comes to giving advice. I'm hopeful it will be dropped completely, as is the case in many other parts of the EU. Canada isn't on the EU certificate system because though there is some Canada wide branding, it's essentially a devolved system by Province/Territory. That isn't a blocker in itself, the UK + Crown Dependencies has 9 separate entities for Scotland, Guernsey and what-not, and that is on the EU system. But there is a requirement to have at national/federal level some database control, and that's what Canada lacks. Even more so in the land that invented databases. It is a bit crazy that Indonesia and Panama are in the system but not Canada. I imagine Australia is caught up in the same issue.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Portugal has been recognizing US and Canada proof of vaccination among others, but it was hard to find this proof in writing, even with their flag carrier directly:

https://www.flytap.com/en-ca/alerts-...d-9b4baec90209

The information on Timatic does not reflect this which causes the confusion, plus the fact that the EU has not reached agreement to accept Canadian proof of vaccination even with QR codes is odd.

I am transiting LIS twice in the coming week and expect zero issues, as a fully-vaccinated Canadian with a booster within the past 270 days, which is current the EU standard.
Can we then assume that at least there shouldn't be any issue travelling with TP, as we can just point the check in agents to their own TP website, right?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Perfect TP check-in today here in MAD.

Great agent took my Canadian passport and proof of vaccination with QR code and booster and handed them back with zero questions/concerns.

I asked about Portugal entry changes and she advised Timatic was updated weeks ago to reflect accepting these proof of vaccinations and showed me her screen.

My next datapoint will be using the LIS passport control e-kiosks later today under the new access permission for US/Canada passports.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I asked about Portugal entry changes and she advised Timatic was updated weeks ago to reflect accepting these proof of vaccinations and showed me her screen.
Interesting, I haven't checked Timatic recently, and this is what it says for a USA resident, USA passport holder.

Originally Posted by Timatic on 17 June 2022

Warning:

Passengers must have:
- a negative COVID-19 NAAT, PCR or RT-PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point; or
- a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken at most 24 hours before departure from the first embarkation point; or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated at least 14 days and at most 270 days before arrival; or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated and have received a booster dose; or
- a COVID-19 recovery certificate issued at least 11 days and at most 180 days before arrival.
There is then a paragraph about what vaccines are OK (all the main ones including Novavax), and then a paragraph for international flights specifically to the Azores - that one says it has to EU or EU recognised vaccine certificate. But for mainland Portugal it says nothing, for Madeira it says the above doesn't apply, they have long been free of restrictions. This then explains how TAP have been allowing CDC and Canadian cards through, even though strictly speaking this isn't in line with Portugal's laws. The Azorean govenment is known to be more punctilious in this area, Madeira the opposite, mainland Portugal is in between. Timatic is regarded as the IATA controls, as in who can board, it doesn't worry about stuff that won't get airlines (as opposed to passengers) into trouble about.
scoobybpc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:47 am

Quick TP check-in today for LHR-LIS (security was a chaotic mess even with Fast Track, in fact the regular lanes were 15 mins quicker).

No covid questions, had proof of vaccination folded in my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.