Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by yule_boy
"The rates available on Cheapoair.com are only available to people using a credit card issued in either the United States or Canada. In order for a claim to qualify for the Best Rate Guarantee, it must be available to everyone. I am not able to approve your claim."
It's available to everyone. They accept third-party credit cards, so even someone without a US address is eligible for these rates. And anyone in the world could use a US-based TA to book it.

CheapOAir.com Payment Acceptance Policy
Old May 23, 2010, 10:10 am

Too Funny!!!

Originally Posted by Laverel
Applied for a "Best Rate Guarantee" for The Manhattan at Times Square. I received the following reply:

"Starwood guarantees that Starwood-branded websites will have the best room rate for any Starwood-branded hotels ('Best Rate Guarantee'). This guarantee applies to reservations for guest rooms at Starwood-branded hotels such as Sheraton, Westin, Four Points, W Hotels, St. Regis, Aloft, Element and Luxury Collection.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide does own and manage several independent hotels, such as The Manhattan at Time Square.
However, The Manhattan at Time Square is not a Starwood brand hotel (Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, Sheraton, W Hotels, St. Regis, Le Meridien, Aloft, Element or Luxury Collection) and does not participate in the Best Rate Guarantee program. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this.
Your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee is appreciated and we welcome any claims you may submit in the future. The Best Rate Guarantee form is located here.
Best Regards,"

Ok..........fair enough, except Starwood advertises this "Best Rate Guarantee" in the "Special Offer" section on the website specifically for this hotel (see link):

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....25&iATANumber=

When I brought this to their attention, I received the following reply:

"I apologize that the Manhattan at Time Square has not removed the Best Rate Guarantee information from their website. They have recently removed the Sheraton brand from their name. When this is done, the hotel is no longer a Starwood branded hotel. Since the Best Rate Guarantee only applies to Starwood branded properties, it is invalid.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee is appreciated and we welcome any claims you may submit in the future. The Best Rate Guarantee form is located here.
Best Regards,"

This is my first reservation with Starwood (and my brand spank'n new Starwood Amex.........is it too late to get that Hilton Amex???) and I'm not too impressed so far. I really hate when companies hide behind the fine-print to wiggle out of something.

I've definitely learned a lesson. I will always look for the fine-print "if" I ever book another Starwood room. Or perhaps my next Starwood reservation might read:

Thank you for your reservation with Starwood.*

*bed not included
Ok, so just for fun I checked the specific website for this hotel and they still had the "Best Rate Guarantee" as a "Special Offer" 30+ days later.

I brought this to their attention and they said they have now decided to include this hotel in their "Best Rate Guarantee Program but that my "Best Rate Guarantee" claim was now too old to be considered.

I mentioned that their "Terms and Conditions" specifically exclude this hotel from being included in the "Best Rate Guarantee Program" and they said that their "Terms and Conditions" were wrong.

Based on my experience, I have learned the following:

*A Starwood Hotel "Special Offer" may or may not be correctly advertised.
*The "Terms and Conditions" for a "Special Offer" may or may not be correct.

But generally, it appears Starwood picks and chooses which to follow (or not follow) based on what benefits their company the most.

I tried arguing with them but it started sounding too much like and Abbott and Costello routine............"Who's on first???".
Old May 24, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by Laverel
Ok, so just for fun I checked the specific website for this hotel and they still had the "Best Rate Guarantee" as a "Special Offer" 30+ days later.

I brought this to their attention and they said they have now decided to include this hotel in their "Best Rate Guarantee Program but that my "Best Rate Guarantee" claim was now too old to be considered.

I mentioned that their "Terms and Conditions" specifically exclude this hotel from being included in the "Best Rate Guarantee Program" and they said that their "Terms and Conditions" were wrong.

Based on my experience, I have learned the following:

*A Starwood Hotel "Special Offer" may or may not be correctly advertised.
*The "Terms and Conditions" for a "Special Offer" may or may not be correct.

But generally, it appears Starwood picks and chooses which to follow (or not follow) based on what benefits their company the most.

I tried arguing with them but it started sounding too much like and Abbott and Costello routine............"Who's on first???".
I feel your pain but i think it won't work. I tried to argue on a valid BRG I had with Sheraton Tokyo Miyako. The hotel's own website is giving out a better rate with more freebies like free parking, free breakfast and late checkout. SPG website has a higher rate with no freebies. They refused to honor the BRG saying that by offering more freebies the rate has become a package and since there is no competing similar package on SPG website it can not be used. I was like what? Do you really think i'm so stupid to pass up on a better rate and more freebies just because you refuse to honor the BRG?
Old May 27, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by africansky
Hotel Name: Le Meridien Nirwana Golf & Spa Resort
This hotel seems to no longer exist in the system. Can't find any news about it but can't find it using any type of search at *W.com. What's up?
Old May 27, 2010, 9:33 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
This hotel seems to no longer exist in the system. Can't find any news about it but can't find it using any type of search at *W.com. What's up?
It left Starwood March 31.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old May 27, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
thanks, I was searching the forum for "Nirwana" so this thread didn't come up.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: AA-Exp, *Wood-Plat
Westin San Diego (first attempt - no joy)

Was looking for a little weekend getaway for Memorial Day and found what was clearly the San Diego Westin (436 guest rooms, restarant name that linked to the old hotel that the Westin took over, even the same valet parking price, etc) on a last minute travel site. There is nothing remotely similar to that in the area, so there was no possibility that the hotel is another location. Submitted a request to the BRG, waited 24 hours, and just heard back a negatory.

Response stated that since the floor count was one floor different (I think LMT counts the lobby, *wood does not on their pages) and that the restaurant was the old name that it could be some other hotel. Guess an exact match in terms of numbers of available rooms in a downtown San Diego location doesn't count for the BRG team...

Only $30 different, so not even really worth fighting over but I was surprised that *wood would be willing to lose more profitable business and lose some brand equity with a Platinum over what is really chump change. Lots of travel this year so I don't need the stay -- I just prefer to do business with *wood when I can, but a little loyalty just left the building.

Anyway, I just booked through the "opaque" service, got the room, and will be sitting by the pool (for $30 less) this weekend. Salud.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Westin Coral Gables
Arrival Date: May 25, 2010
Departure Date: May 26, 2010
Room Type: Traditional
Actual confirmed rate: $129.20 USD plus taxes
wotif.com

Took the 2000 pts. Spg.com showed $185 pn for same dates.

OT, but place was a dump. Not even worth $129.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Welcome to FlyerTalk, SDMillionMiler!

Whether you could identify it without a doubt or not, this is par for the course when dealing with "opaque" booking sites. And in going for the $30 savings, didn't you lose any Starpoint-earning benefits? And maybe other SPG benefits?

IIUC, LastMinuteTravel.com was the competing website.

Did you check LMT's sister site www.EasyClickTravel.com to see if it was offered on there? That site is NOT opaque. I see that ECT.com has the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel tonight for $149.00 including taxes and fees. It's a package that includes "Continental Breakfast." SPG.com also offers a room with breakfast for $179 + tax = $201.50. They might argue that the breakfasts are not the same. BAR without breakfast is $159 + tax. It's a potential BRG opportunity, if anyone's interested.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Question about BRG claims. I haven't run into this situation before, and I don't know if they'll consider it or not.

On hotels.com, I found a Classic room for our stay date. Looking at spg.com, however, there are no Classic rooms - only Deluxe rooms or higher. Will they consider a BRG claim on this or not?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Question about BRG claims. I haven't run into this situation before, and I don't know if they'll consider it or not.

On hotels.com, I found a Classic room for our stay date. Looking at spg.com, however, there are no Classic rooms - only Deluxe rooms or higher. Will they consider a BRG claim on this or not?
I have had multiple instances of this situation where the claim went through successfully without any problems (assuming that the classic room on hotels.com is cheaper than the deluxe rooms on SPG, of course). I usually make a note on the BRG claim form to the effect that the room type is not available on SPG.com. The BRG email usually states that I will receive the same room type as available on the competing website, but the Plat upgrade usually puts me in something better.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thanks. We'll see what they say.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

It's a really YMMV but if BRG followed the T&C's strictly, it would be an unsuccessful claim:

Originally Posted by BRG terms
if you find and advise Starwood of a currently available lower, published, available room rate for the same Starwood Hotel, for the same room type and bed type, and for the same dates and number of guests (the "Competing Rate"), prior to, or within 24 hours after, making a reservation on a Starwood-branded Website, Starwood will honor the Competing Rate, along with your choice of one best rate guarantee reward.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:45 pm

And the answer is...

I have reviewed your claim and I am happy to inform you that the information you have provided qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee offer.
Please make your reservation online via a Starwood website for the dates submitted in your claim. It does not matter which room type you book, the hotel will adjust it to a classic.
Details:
Hotel Name: Le Méridien Cambridge
Arrival Date: 09-04-2010
Departure Date: 09-05-2010
Number of Adults: 2
Room Type: Classic
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: $154.40
Competing room provider: Hotels.com
Competing rate: $130.40
I had previously booked a $127.20 AAA rate, but I'll take 2,009 points for $3.20 (+tax).

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jun 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm Reason: +tax
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:37 pm

Are these taking longer than usual? I haven't done a BRG for a while - they used to reply within 24 hours - even if they said within 48 hours.

It's past 48 hours now...

Sorry in advance CE - I didn't search! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.