Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This advice is too late in your case, but after getting approval, I've always booked a refundable rate to avoid just such questions.
I was woried it would get declined if I did as the competitior was a non-refundable rate. Haven't heard anything back from SPG yet.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:15 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by yarrowfell
I was woried it would get declined if I did as the competitior was a non-refundable rate. Haven't heard anything back from SPG yet.
I believe the manner of refunding back the difference lies with individual properties.

Officially it would be via your CC account as your Starwood site booking is non-refundable but YMMV.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Aug 11, 2010 at 9:21 pm
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I was woried it would get declined if I did as the competitior was a non-refundable rate.
I haven't had a problem (yet).
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
I believe the manner of refunding back the difference lies with individual properties.

Officially it would be via your CC account as your Starwood site booking is non-refundable but YMMV.

[email protected]

So where to from here? I booked online this AM (about 6 hrs ago), the payment has not come off my CC but I have the email confirmed booked (at the full rate). I assume I wait for an email accepting my BRG and they will tell me how I get a refund of the difference?

I also elected for the 10% not points. Can I change my mind and just email and asked them to change it to the bonus points?

I called your online reservation number but the person I spoke to didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

PS: What is YMMV?

Last edited by yarrowfell; Aug 11, 2010 at 11:34 pm Reason: Addition
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Westin Prince Toronto

One King prepaid non-refundable

SPG rate@CAD$189-199
Expedia rate@CAD$94

BRG 10% discounted rate@CAD$84
axed the price down to lower than a half. My stay will be 10 nights. Really save me a h3ll lot of money: )

The hotel also offered Gold members free internet.
Breakfast buffet@CAD$14 plus tax, self parking@CAD$11, a good deal considering the current rates of Toronto hotels are about $200+ something. Congrats to myself
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:00 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
PS: What is YMMV?
Your Millage May Vary

Basically your experience might be different.

An unrelated question.

Is the following eligible for BRG?

Hotel shows no availability on SPG.com but another site shows availability for the same dates (refundable rate if it makes a difference).

Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
So where to from here? I booked online this AM (about 6 hrs ago), the payment has not come off my CC but I have the email confirmed booked (at the full rate). I assume I wait for an email accepting my BRG and they will tell me how I get a refund of the difference?
I would advise you to write back to the associate who has approved your claim and voice out your concerns. I believe he/she would be contacting the property on your behalf for more information.

[email protected]

Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sagy
Is the following eligible for BRG?

Hotel shows no availability on SPG.com but another site shows availability for the same dates (refundable rate if it makes a difference).
Yes.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes.
Thanks.

I'll give it a try

Update Aug 13: Claim was accepted.

Last edited by Sagy; Aug 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: EBD, Radisson Plat, Marriot Gold
Question BRG and SPG (Platinum) benefits

I was just wondering, does using the BRG claim mean losing for example the possibilities of upgrades as a Platinum benefit, or any other ? I'll reach Plat in a few weeks and just booked two stays with BRGs.

And a bit OT, apologies for that, do I need to do something in regards of the new Plat status with the stays already booked?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:30 am

Vallari,

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

In the past I have gotten upgrades, as well as all the other platinum benefits, on BRG stays. I have no idea if being on a BRG rate moves you down on the upgrade priority list for hotel that pre-assign. For hotels that use the "time of check-in" rule (the documented one) this should have no impact.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Vallari
I was just wondering, does using the BRG claim mean losing for example the possibilities of upgrades as a Platinum benefit, or any other ? I'll reach Plat in a few weeks and just booked two stays with BRGs.
No, BRG claims are still eligible rates. They count toward elite status as any other eligible rates would. You should still get all Plat benefits if you have reached Plat status by then.

And a bit OT, apologies for that, do I need to do something in regards of the new Plat status with the stays already booked?
From a thread in the SPG Forum FAQ sticky at the top of the SPG forum's list of threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7242391-post19.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...tatus-spg.html

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Vallari!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:37 pm

Question

I have used BRG before but always booked first then put the claim in.....I know - not the good way to do it.

So....I check the website then find a better competing price......I send the claim in reflecting the price I seen on the SPG website vs. the other website....BRG reflects their approval on the price I recorded on the claim........then I go back to the SPG website and book my room ????? Is that correct ? What if by the time I get back to the SPG site ( which could be easily 24 hrs ) the prices have changed..

How does that work.......or is my whole process up above wrong in the first place.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bravada04
I have used BRG before but always booked first then put the claim in.....I know - not the good way to do it.

So....I check the website then find a better competing price......I send the claim in reflecting the price I seen on the SPG website vs. the other website....BRG reflects their approval on the price I recorded on the claim........then I go back to the SPG website and book my room ????? Is that correct ? What if by the time I get back to the SPG site ( which could be easily 24 hrs ) the prices have changed..

How does that work.......or is my whole process up above wrong in the first place.
Once I receive an approval, I usually book the lowest refundable rate and email SPG my confirmation number. SPG then modifies my reservation to reflect the approved price (either matched with the competing price + 2000 *pts or 10% off depending on what I had chosen earlier). You need to make the reservation and submit your confirmation number within 24 hours post approval of your claim.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I always book my room first using a refundable rate (through the Aeroplan e-store for extra points). When I submit my claim, I quote the lowest rate available on the SPG web site (which is almost always a pre-paid rate). Once the BRG is approved, my room rate is automatically adjusted to the lower BRG rate.

I've had 10 BRGs approved out of 14 stays so far this year. Not one was turned down. Just couldn't find a lower rate on 4 of the stays.

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 14, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.