Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The only reason I know is that I had one rejected because of it.
I don't see where you have posted about this. Can you elaborate on the details of that case? Do you have the response from the child on the SPG side of this BRG game? (It must be a childish game if rules get made up as we go along, right?)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
Can you elaborate on the details of that case?
I don't remember the details, but as I recall they basically just quoted the rule that they won't match a "package" rate with breakfast, even when Starwood's rate also has breakfast. Which is odd, because shortly before that (or maybe it was shortly after), I got one approved with breakfast.

I think BRG claims really depend on exactly who you get to process your claim. Which begs the question - if you are rejected, does it make sense to reapply and try to get someone else to look at it?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:50 pm

if you are rejected, does it make sense to reapply and try to get someone else to look at it?
I'll let you know tomorrow
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:43 pm

I don't remember the details, but as I recall they basically just quoted the rule that they won't match a "package" rate with breakfast, even when Starwood's rate also has breakfast. Which is odd, because shortly before that (or maybe it was shortly after), I got one approved with breakfast.
If it was a package for a distinctly different breakfast, it could maybe make sense. Otherwise, not so much.

I think BRG claims really depend on exactly who you get to process your claim. Which begs the question - if you are rejected, does it make sense to reapply and try to get someone else to look at it?
If they are going to jerk around their customers who follow the rules, then yes, it makes sense to reapply and jerk them around, too.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
If it was a package for a distinctly different breakfast, it could maybe make sense.
Could be. It may have been "breakfast" versus "American breakfast" or something like that.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
That doesn't always do it either, because they make a distinction between hotel-provided breakfast and third-party-provided breakfast.
I have had multiple successes where a 3rd party site is inclusive of breakfast and SPG BRG has honored those rates.

See my postings in this thread below; I have also had BRG success with Le Meridien Cancun for $90SD per night with breakfast (but didn't follow through) as I'm heading to Atlantis Resort - Bahamas instead.

Originally Posted by alanslegal

BRG 2:
Hotel Name: Le Meridien Pyramids Cairo
Arrival Date: 07-01-2010
Departure Date: 07-03-2010
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Type: Classic
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 175USD ++ with breakfast
Competing room provider: gtahotels.com
Competing rate: 77USD ++ with breakfast

Reward: 2K points

BRG 3:
Hotel Name: Sheraton Cairo & Towers
Arrival Date: 07-03-2010
Departure Date: 07-04-2010
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Type: Deluxe with breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 213USD ++
Competing room provider: otel.com
Competing rate: 170USD inclusive (or $137.xxUSD ++)

Reward: 2K points
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:37 pm

I have had multiple successes where a 3rd party site is inclusive of breakfast and SPG BRG has honored those rates.
As I said, it all depends who's reading your request. I'm at 50% on breakfast rates (one success, one failure).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
BRG approved

Hotel Name: Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Arrival Date: 07-25-2010
Departure Date: 07-26-2010
Room Type: Regular Double
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: JPY 15,700
Other Company room provider: www.yokohamabay-sheraton.co.jp
Competing rate: JPY15,400

BRG confirmed rate: 15,400yen

BRG Reward: 2000 points
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:43 am

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I'm confused. I just called SPG to asked if they would match otel.com's rate on 2 Hawaiian spg properties, but the CSR says that they don't match 3rd party prepaid rates - the rates offered on SPG are flexible and can be cancelled for a long time after booking.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by digitalsky
I haven't read the entire thread yet but I'm confused. I just called SPG to asked if they would match otel.com's rate on 2 Hawaiian spg properties, but the CSR says that they don't match 3rd party prepaid rates - the rates offered on SPG are flexible and can be canceled for a long time after booking.
See the Rate Limitations section in the BRG T&Cs. They don't have to match this, but there are plenty of examples where they have done so anyway.

1) Is it true that all of the rates that you see on spg.com for your desired dates are flexible? spg.com also often offers prepaid rates which are not flexible and cannot be canceled. It's possible that these are web-only rates which the CSR cannot see.

2) Is it true that the rates that you are looking at on www.otel.com are non-refundable? This site also offers flexible and refundable rates.

I picked a random date of 7/20/10:
I see the Sheraton Maui on otel.com for $264 + $47 tax & fees = $311 (refundable). The lowest price on spg.com is $350 + tax & fees, and this rate on spg.com is non-refundable with this rate description:
Reserve & Relax - Advance Purchase Rate Is Fully Prepaid, Non Changeable, Non Refundable
The lowest refundable rate on spg.com is $380 + tax/fees, and this should really be the comparison against the refundable rate on otel.com.

The Westin Ka'anapali Villas also has what looks to be a valid BRG opportunity:
spg.com $360 + $44.68 tax = $404.68
otel.com $314 + $57 tax/fees = $371
Other room types are available, and otel.com seems to be better on all or most of them. Deluxe Oceanview Studio for $384 + tax/fees = $453 on otel.com vs. $485 + tax on spg.com.

I don't know the specific dates, property, or terms that you were looking at, but I have doubts that the CSR was correct or fully aware of the terms.

I also see that www.otel.com beats spg.com on rates in other destinations such as the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass in Arizona and the Westin Verasa Napa. In fact, there may be a lot of BRG options here.

Last edited by sc flier; Jun 11, 2010 at 2:47 am
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:38 am

Thanks for the reply! I had not looked at the deals as closely as you have (regarding prepayment / cancellation). I only compared the numbers. I suspect the CSR might not be 100% correct, so I have filed a claim anyway, since I didn't need to book with SPG before I file a claim. It would be really great if they can match these prices!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:59 am

If you're going to mess around with filing a claim, you still ought to do your research in advance so that you can fill out the claim form accurately. If otel.com is offering a refundable rate and you file a claim against a non-refundable rate on spg.com, they might reject your claim. Or they might accept your BRG as a non-refundable claim when you could've easily gotten it as a refundable claim.

Would you please post SPG's response when you hear back from them?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:08 am

Mine was denied again SGS.... Different agent. but because of the breakfast wont work... I just don't get the last line about reviewing the rates, I clearly sent the link with my GTAhotel rate, why do they keep mentioning a higher rate on GTAsite (I linked the followin: http://www.gtahotels.com/searchhotel...=&search_type=)

Thanks for submitting a Best Rate Guarantee claim.

The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates that include additional services or amenities that are not provided by the hotel. These rates, called packaged rates, include extras that are paid for by a third-party, in this case XXXXCOMPETINGSITEXXXX. Common examples of packaged rates are those that include breakfast or parking where this is actually paid for by a voucher or by a separate charge to the third-party.

As the competing rate that you have provided includes breakfast, it is considered a package rate and as a result I am not able to approve this claim for you.

I did review the rates and located a rate of 6800 THB plus taxes on our site and a rate of 7916.55 THB plus taxes on GTAhotels.com.

As our rate is lower, you claim would be denied.

For complete program details of the Best Rate Guarantee program please visit our website.

Your interest in our Best Rate Guarantee is appreciated and we welcome any claims you may submit in the future. The Best Rate Guarantee form is located here.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:39 am

chebraccia,
You didn't say what you actually submitted in your claim. Did you submit it for a Grand Deluxe room type? If so, then the 6800 bhat room is not for your room type. If not, then what did you expect and why?

It would really help if FTers would post what they actually submitted in this claim form. Here are the fields on this form:

Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Adults:
Number of Children:
Number of Rooms:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Room Provider:
Competing Rate:
Same currencies?:
Comments:
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chebraccia
Mine was denied again SGS.... Different agent. but because of the breakfast wont work....[/B][/I]
I think if u send another claim with a Grand Deluxe room type like sc flier suggested u,,it should be success. Because a breakfast rate on SPG is 10,946.10THB included tax (around 337USD) and you can surely compare it against a breakfast rate on GTA which is 273USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.