Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rate guarantee - successes and failures 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by milomaniac
So, I found this hotel Westin in vancouver, with 270 CAD on the website and my claim got approved for 122.15 (found 120 CAD at gtahotels.com)
I have done this many times for the Westin hotel in Vancouver. Yes, spg will adjust your current reservation to $122.15 plus taxes after you reply to them, and the cancellation policy will be the same as what you have made at www.spg.com. You can, when you reply to them, put down your condition that if the cancellation policy is the same as the existing reservation, then you will accept the change.

But you need to make sure you bring the email with you, as once your claim is approved and adjusted, you cannot read your adjusted reservation on your spg.com account, so your email correspondence is the only proof when you check in. If you need to cancel the reservation before you check-in, you can simply send an email to BRG desk and ask them to cancel and send you a cancellation number.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 12, 2010 at 6:48 pm Reason: Fixed ubb coding for quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=So Pang;13756223]
So, I found this hotel Westin in vancouver, with 270 CAD on the website and my claim got approved for 122.15 (found 120 CAD at gtahotels.com)

I have done this many times for the Westin hotel in Vancouver. Yes, spg will adjust your current reservation to $122.15 plus taxes after you reply to them, and the cancellation policy will be the same as what you have made at www.spg.com. You can, when you reply to them, put down your condition that if the cancellation policy is the same as the existing reservation, then you will accept the change.

But you need to make sure you bring the email with you, as once your claim is approved and adjusted, you cannot read your adjusted reservation on your spg.com account, so your email correspondence is the only proof when you check in. If you need to cancel the reservation before you check-in, you can simply send an email to BRG desk and ask them to cancel and send you a cancellation number.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It is very helpful.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by So Pang
once your claim is approved and adjusted, you cannot read your adjusted reservation on your spg.com account
Not true (or at least not always true). I have a BRG reservation on spg.com that has been adjusted and currently shows Rate Description: Best Rate Claim.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not true (or at least not always true). I have a BRG reservation on spg.com that has been adjusted and currently shows Rate Description: Best Rate Claim.
Actually, my claim got processed and I am not seeing the rate information online as mentioned by So Pang. I made the reservation after filing the claim.

It says "We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you."

I dont even see my confirmation number.

Earlier (before the claim was processed), I saw the following below my dates:
"See Details | Change | Cancel | Confirmation (NUMBER)"

In essence, one can reserve the hotel before filing the claim. I am not sure if in that case, the modified rate information is shown on SPG site.
mahasamatman, did you reserve first and then claimed (providing your reservation information on the claim itself)? If that is the case then that can explain this? or maybe it varies case by case.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It says "We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you."
I get that whenever the hotel takes over the reservation, which is about 10-20% of the time in my experience.

mahasamatman, did you reserve first and then claimed (providing your reservation information on the claim itself)?
Never. I always wait until they approve the claim before booking since they love to nitpick and there's no way to be sure if they'll approve it or not. Once it's approved, I make the reservation and send them the number. Then, typically a few days later, they make the rate change.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Never. I always wait until they approve the claim before booking since they love to nitpick and there's no way to be sure if they'll approve it or not. Once it's approved, I make the reservation and send them the number. Then, typically a few days later, they make the rate change.
Yes it seems there is a bit of a delay. For a BRG that I did for a stay less than 1 week away, the rate was not changed in the system and the hotel had to adjust it manually. Good thing I had the print out of my e-mail.

Actually, my claim got processed and I am not seeing the rate information online as mentioned by So Pang. I made the reservation after filing the claim.

I dont even see my confirmation number.

Earlier (before the claim was processed), I saw the following below my dates:
"See Details | Change | Cancel | Confirmation (NUMBER)"
+1. I get the same message when I book a priceline stay, too.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question

The Z3r rate is cheaper on Expedia than on SPG for the Royal Club access room, will SPG match that with the Best Rate Guarantee or does the matching apply to regular rates only.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 am

Under the T&C, they have this clause.
The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to unpublished rates. Unpublished rates are rates not available to the general public. Rates not available to the general public include, but are not limited to:
  • Any rates requiring a discount code or coupon
So, since Z3R is a discount code, they probably won't honor it, but it never hurts to try.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat

So, since Z3R is a discount code, they probably won't honor it, but it never hurts to try.
I always thought the discount code part referred to a discount code to be used on a third-party site (like Expedia). Since Z3R is an SPG rate (and hence available to the general public), my thought was that it should go through fine although I dont recall ever having tried it. In either case, I will be looking for an update from the OP to see whether this works and if not, what the reason for denial was.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok they did approve my BRG. I tried to book the Z3R rate on expedia and it was cheaper than SPG, so now I was advised that they will honour the rate and gave me a 10% discount as well.

Hotel: Royal Plaza Athenee Bangkok

I will post the rate info later.
At first the agent wrote back that they could not access the rates on the hotels website.
But finally and email came in and advised me about the rate match and the discount. I booked 2 rooms.
^^
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Ok they did approve my BRG.
Good to hear!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told in the email that the rate will be adjusted once I make the reservations, how long after from your experiences did you see the adjustments go through.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I was told in the email that the rate will be adjusted once I make the reservations, how long after from your experiences did you see the adjustments go through.
Typically for me, it has taken 12 hours to 48 hours for the 3 reservations I made in the past week.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Milomaniac, I was advised by email that the rate will be adjusted on arrival in BKK.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:22 am

I'm just wondering, I sent in a best rate request for a hotel listed on SPG for $155 a night + tax.... I found it for $93 after taxes... and I requested the 10% discount.

They sent me an e-mail saying the info I sent qualifies for best rate and they matched it at $107 plus tax to $119 minus the 10% and it goes back to $107...

Does this make sense?

Am I missing something?! (they were two different currencies but still doesn't make any sense.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.