Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by boomdog
Why cancel so fast? The annual fee is a year out. It is usually best to keep it until just before the annual fee.

Not sure about AMEX, but Chase has been known to pull bonus miles when a card is cancelled before 6 months. In some cases, this has driven accounts negative.
I have a Hilton card that I want to get and a couple more America Airlines cards that I would like to get but I am currently getting rejected for having too many Am-Ex cards.

Plus, I am trying to cut down on the amount of cards that I have to help keep me somewhat sane (Especially ones that I would never use like this Am-Ex Gold)
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, AA - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, SPG - Gold,
Starwood

After reading a couple of posts, I contacted SPG who then referred me to AMEX. I sent a similar message found earlier in this thread and rec'd the following response (same day--great service)!!

I understand your concern about your spending bonus. The 30,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months will appear within 8-12 weeks of meeting this spend level.

Please note that these bonus points may appear in 10,000 and 20,000 increments at different times during the bonus time frame.

If you have not received these bonus points when the time frame has passed, please let us know. We will be glad to issue these bonus points manually for you.

We look forward to helping you in this or any other way. Have a great week!

Sincerely, Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, AA - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, SPG - Gold,
Starwood

After reading a couple of posts, I contacted SPG who then referred me to AMEX. I sent a similar message found earlier in this thread and rec'd the following response (same day--great service)!!

I understand your concern about your spending bonus. The 30,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months will appear within 8-12 weeks of meeting this spend level.

Please note that these bonus points may appear in 10,000 and 20,000 increments at different times during the bonus time frame.

If you have not received these bonus points when the time frame has passed, please let us know. We will be glad to issue these bonus points manually for you.

We look forward to helping you in this or any other way. Have a great week!

Sincerely, Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:57 am

Here was my reply, I applied on 8/1

I have reviewed your account and confirm that the referenced Starwood Card ending in .... was solicited to receive 30,000 Starpoints after spending $1,000 in the first (3) three months.

Please note that Starpoints are given within 8 to 12 weeks of meeting the $1,000 spend and may be awarded in 10,000 and 20,000 increments because of the bonus structure.

If at that time you still have not received these bonus points do not hesitate to contact me again and I will gladly look into that on your behalf.

We thank you for your Membership, hope this information is helpful, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely, Juan Jones Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Cubswin
I received my 30,000 point bonus but when I called to cancel my card they said that if I cancelled that I would lose my SPG points??!!

Did I get a misleading CSR or is this always the case with Starwood cards and their reward points?

Thanks!
The CSR is correct. You can't just get a card, get the bonus and then turn around and cancel it. Firstly, it won't look good for you in the future (yes they can rate consumers on how fast they apply, get a card, use it and how fast they cancel.

I always keep a card at least 6 months before closing it even if their rules don't specify. They can pull points out of your account, they have the right within a certain period. I know one person that was about to use their points, but then closed the cc account and when they went to use the points they were sucked out of the account. Very upsetting for them, but they learned their lesson. Besides, the Starwood Amex is an excellent card to keep. I have one that I will not close as I use it a lot and have for years.

Last edited by Churnman; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Okto
I can't answer that, but I can say that by following the great advice provided in post #248 in this thread by SkinsFan0521, one could end up with 45,000 bonus points
How is that? By writing the same note, even though you did receive the 30K or 40K?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:58 am

I received 40K, my wife only 30K. Can't tell if what I received was from my business card or personal card. We both have both. We opened the same day.

Looking at the difference it appears I received the: 10000 SPG AX DEFAULT
bonus and she did not. I sent a secure message to AMEX. Will see what happens.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:06 pm
blh

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I received 40K, my wife only 30K. Can't tell if what I received was from my business card or personal card. We both have both. We opened the same day.

Looking at the difference it appears I received the: 10000 SPG AX DEFAULT
bonus and she did not. I sent a secure message to AMEX. Will see what happens.
Same here - husband got the 40K on Business, 30K on personal. I received 30K on Business and nothing on Personal yet except the spend. Please post back with the AMEX reply. I was thinking about sending them a message as well. We have both had AMEX personal cards (last two years), but not the business cards. Don't understand why some cards are getting the 40,000.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:04 pm

FYI, I notice on my card that I had a payment due in August. For some reason my wife's did not. Must have been just a bit later. They are correct in that the offer was for just 30K, some glitch must have given some of us the extra 10K for a payment due in August, vs Sept is the first payment due on my wife's card.

Here is AMEX reply:

The offer on your Card says:

"You can earn up to 30,000 Starpoints after spending $1,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership."

- 10,000 Bonus Starpoints after they make their first purchase. (This is the Welcome Bonus Points for a new customer).

- 20,000 Bonus Starpoints when they spend $1,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.

The promotional offer on a Card is specific to that particular Card, depending on the time period the card was applied for and approved.

This might be the reason why your husband has received the extra 10,000 points but you have not.

If you require any further clarifications then please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely, Sumita Bandopadhyay Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:49 pm
blh

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
FYI, I notice on my card that I had a payment due in August. For some reason my wife's did not. Must have been just a bit later. They are correct in that the offer was for just 30K, some glitch must have given some of us the extra 10K for a payment due in August, vs Sept is the first payment due on my wife's card.

Here is AMEX reply:

The offer on your Card says:

"You can earn up to 30,000 Starpoints after spending $1,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership."

- 10,000 Bonus Starpoints after they make their first purchase. (This is the Welcome Bonus Points for a new customer).

- 20,000 Bonus Starpoints when they spend $1,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.

The promotional offer on a Card is specific to that particular Card, depending on the time period the card was applied for and approved.

This might be the reason why your husband has received the extra 10,000 points but you have not.

If you require any further clarifications then please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely, Sumita Bandopadhyay Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Thanks for posting the AMEX reply. Guess they'll tell me the same thing. Both of our Business cards were applied for and approved the same day. However, his card closed on July 19 - only had $88 charged as he had only had it a few days. He got the 10,000 points posted July 17 for 1st purchase open. Then he got the 10,000 points - AX Default in August along with the 20,000 New Mbr Spend Bonus and the 941 in spend.

My card did not close out until August 3 - I got 10,000 lst Purchase Open on 8/5 and the 20,000 New Mbr Spend Bonus on 9/7 along with the spend. I guess I wasn't lucky somehow - the accounts that closed in July may have been the ones that got the Default Bonus. Wish someone would give us a good explanation.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who wrote AMEX or think to write AMEX about the 10K extra in your spousal account but not in your own account, have you ever thought about the possibility that AMEX may actually take the trouble to fix the glitch and take the extra 10K away from the accounts who had gotten it (not supposedly but because of system glitch)?

The offer is 30K plain and simple. Consider yourself lucky to get the extra 10K but if you dont get it dont rock the boat and bring attn to the other account in the family that has gotten it... because the 10K is NOT an entitlement of the offer...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Consider yourself lucky to get the extra 10K but if you dont get it dont rock the boat and bring attn to the other account in the family that has gotten it... because the 10K is NOT an entitlement of the offer...
+1
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The fact that it posts as "default" seems to imply that someone dropped the ball and didn't clear that flag when they enabled the promo. The 10K is what you should get when there's no special promo.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Happy
For those who wrote AMEX or think to write AMEX about the 10K extra in your spousal account but not in your own account, have you ever thought about the possibility that AMEX may actually take the trouble to fix the glitch and take the extra 10K away from the accounts who had gotten it (not supposedly but because of system glitch)?

The offer is 30K plain and simple. Consider yourself lucky to get the extra 10K but if you dont get it dont rock the boat and bring attn to the other account in the family that has gotten it... because the 10K is NOT an entitlement of the offer...
Of course we thought about that. Have you ever thought that some people are willing to take a risk that you are not? I didn't provide spouse information, such as their SPG account or their business name. So they would need to do a search by address to find a similar account. I am taking the risk that they wouldn't bother to do that, but if they do, I may end up out 10K. They would also end up needing to answer a bunch of complaints from me as to why the 10K was removed. So I thought that would not be as likely as perhaps they would add 10K to the other account.

If I am wrong, I am out 10K, and as you said, I was just lucky to get the extra 10K to begin with, so nothing to be angry about.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:49 am

Can anyone help directing me who to contact regarding missing bonus point for my business card? I only received 20K for the card and it's been 3 weeks now so I think it's time to contact them.

Earn +2123 09/14/2010 SPG AX BASE SPEND - CONSUMER
Earn +551 09/09/2010 SPG AX BASE SPEND - CONSUMER
Earn +20000 08/23/2010 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR
Earn +87 08/19/2010 SPG AX - STARWOOD SPEND OPEN
Earn +1439 08/19/2010 SPG AX BASE SPEND - OPEN

TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.