Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Statement closed on 8/3 and points to SPG posted on 8/5.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO, AA
Thanks, I guess I will have to call AMEX. Errrr......
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Congrats to those who are getting points. I'm jealous.

Thought I'd post the ridiculous decline letter I received (to recap, I have great personal credit, high income, and an SPG person card on which I charge several 10s of thousands annually and pay off every month, but my business card app was denied). Why I got denied for not having a business credit record but many of you didn't, I have no idea. I got nowhere with anyone at Amex.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your recent application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. After reviewing your request, regrettably, we are unable to open an account for you at this time for the following reason(s):

Insufficient time in business.

Information received about the company from a commercial bureau agency.

Our decision was influenced by information in your company's file at the commercial reporting agency named below. The following are the specific factors that affected our decision:

No record at business bureau found.

To better understand the information in your commercial credit file, please contact the commercial reporting agency identified in this letter. . . .

We thank you for applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

Sincerely, *****

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by chazas
Congrats to those who are getting points. I'm jealous.

Thought I'd post the ridiculous decline letter I received (to recap, I have great personal credit, high income, and an SPG person card on which I charge several 10s of thousands annually and pay off every month, but my business card app was denied). Why I got denied for not having a business credit record but many of you didn't, I have no idea. I got nowhere with anyone at Amex.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your recent application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. After reviewing your request, regrettably, we are unable to open an account for you at this time for the following reason(s):

Insufficient time in business.

Information received about the company from a commercial bureau agency.

Our decision was influenced by information in your company's file at the commercial reporting agency named below. The following are the specific factors that affected our decision:

No record at business bureau found.

To better understand the information in your commercial credit file, please contact the commercial reporting agency identified in this letter. . . .

We thank you for applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

Sincerely, *****

Well, although I received my SPG Business (and a Gold Business) card, I just got word that I'm going through one of AMEX's Financial Reviews. The main reason for this is multiple new accounts and high credit usage on them (mostly dollar coins). So, I did get the card, but now that I have AMEX business cards, they want to do another FR on me (I just had one in December of 09).

So, it looks like AMEX may start to not be quite as leniant as they have been in the past with Business apps. I'm guessing that part of the reason is that they probably had thousands of new people sign up for SPG Business cards who never had business accounts with them before and started to look into it a bit more.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by drifter123
of the people who received a 40K bonus, was this your first time with a SPG personal/business card? I received 30K bonus points, but it was my second SPG personal card
It was my first time with a SPG business card. I've had an SPG personal card for years. I did get 40K bonus and wasn't sure why. The business card had a real business TIN on the app for a 68 year old company.

My husband got a SPG business card also, but he only got 30K bonus. His business is under his SSN, not TIN.

Last edited by susiesan; Aug 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by crm1712
I understand the inconsistancy in the bonus points but how long after your statement closes does it take to get your earned points? I spent $1050, how long should it take for 1050 points to reach my spg account?
If they are on your statement, they should post pretty quickly. If they are not identified on your statement, there's a problem. But, otherwise, it's usually within three or four days at most. On my personal, they usually post the same day my account closes. On business, it can take a bit longer if the statement close date is a Thursday or Friday. For example, my last statement close was 7/29. Points posted 8/2.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:41 pm

My statement closed and the 1035 points posted but not the 30,000. Guess I need to make a call.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AA Novice
My statement closed and the 1035 points posted but not the 30,000. Guess I need to make a call.
Since the T&C state the bonus points will post in 8-12 weeks, I assume they'll just brush you off.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by AA Novice
Another data point: similar amount on my first statement. Got +10000 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX) and points for the purchases, but not my 30K?
Weird.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:45 pm

I received 70K bonus points on my combined pers and bus card. My wife has received 30K so far on her card, nothing yet on the business card but it must have been approved a few days later.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
I received 70K bonus points on my combined pers and bus card.
Good for you. ^
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
40K Starpoints? Wasn't the deal for 30K after spending 1K?

I'm just confused. I thought the initial sign-up deal was for 30K after spending 1K. How are people getting the extra 10K points? So far, I have received:

+10000 SPG AX DEFAULT (07/29/2010)
+20000 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR (07/29/2010)

but not the:

+10000 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX)

What is this "1st purchase OPEN" bonus points? How are people getting this?

BTW, I have a new SPG Biz card (never held an SPG card before). However, I do have another Biz card (SimplyCash) from AMEX.

I wonder if the bonus is due to OPEN purchases ... (e.g. Hertz, FedEx, etc). For the people receiving the "1st purchase OPEN" bonus points, did you do any businesses with the retailers from "OPEN"?

EDITED: Never mind. Just got off the phone with CS. She states that the "1st purchase" is available to all (not sure about personal), new SPG card members as a welcome bonus. States that they should post after 1st statement. Hence, this is a 40K bonus (and she confirmed).

Last edited by ddsohn; Aug 16, 2010 at 7:58 am
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO, AA
Yeah, color me confused as well, albeit for a slightly different reason.

My first billing cycle closed on the 4th, with $1050 total spending. I called AMEX and they said they showed 1050 points pending but none has transfered to my SPG account and they said that it would not post until my next statement closed? So are all spending points a month behind? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I have not recieved any of my 30k points promo. I'm not too worried about this yet since 1, my spending points haven't transfered, and 2, it technically says up to 8 weeks. So I guess I can be patient.

Additionally, I had a two night stay this past weekend where I had eligible spending of $243. I just looked at my SPG account and it posted 486 starpoints, so I recieved 2x my spending. I was under the assumption that I also got 2x spending for using my Starwood Amex so I was expecting 972 Starpoints. Will my 2x spending (an additional 486 points) be transferred from AMEX or was that suppose to be automatic?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 am

40K starpoints posted

Add me to the happy camper side of the ledger. Logged on to my SPG account recently and I saw this:

Earn +20000 08/XX/2010 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR
Earn +10000 08/XX/2010 SPG AX DEFAULT
Earn +10000 07/XX/2010 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX)

First 10K points posted with first purchase, and the other 30K BEFORE my statement closed with the $1000 spend. Thanks AMEX/SPG
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by crm1712
Additionally, I had a two night stay this past weekend where I had eligible spending of $243. I just looked at my SPG account and it posted 486 starpoints, so I recieved 2x my spending. I was under the assumption that I also got 2x spending for using my Starwood Amex so I was expecting 972 Starpoints. Will my 2x spending (an additional 486 points) be transferred from AMEX or was that suppose to be automatic?
You get 2x by default by SPG (for stays at their hotels). Then, you get 2x by SPG AMEX (1 point for every dollar spent, plus another 1 bonus point for spending SPG AMEX at an SPG hotel). The points given by SPG AMEX posts after billing cycle ends and it should be automatic. Overall, if you charge an SPG hotel stay with your SPG AMEX card, you should get 4 *points/$1 spent (as a non-elite). If elite, then you get 5 *points/$1 spent at an SPG hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.