Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:21 am

one of the links still works , do you think they'll honor the 30k miles?

https://www143.americanexpress.com/a...xpress.com#our
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:55 am

first I got the 14 day message then an email saying it was approved
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:23 pm

Instantly approved.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
fine print states offer expired 7/6...good luck

Originally Posted by bernyx
one of the links still works , do you think they'll honor the 30k miles?

https://www143.americanexpress.com/a...xpress.com#our
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:42 pm

Got my card the first week of July. My statement closed on 7/23 with $1909 in spending. I got 31,909 points on 7/26. So for me it took a grand total of 3 days to get all of my points. Not sure why I got them all at once but others apparently are having to wait....
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Appled on 7/28, instantly approved.

Confused though as my card arrived Friday (overnighted), but credit limit was only $5K. My other AMEX has a line of 50K, my VISA about the same and I've been an AMEX customer for nearly two decades. Credit score damn near perfect. Any idea what gives?

Call to CS told me I need to wait 60 days to even ask for an increase, talk about combining card credit lines, etc. What a hassle.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
Appled on 7/28, instantly approved.

Confused though as my card arrived Friday (overnighted), but credit limit was only $5K. My other AMEX has a line of 50K, my VISA about the same and I've been an AMEX customer for nearly two decades. Credit score damn near perfect. Any idea what gives?

Call to CS told me I need to wait 60 days to even ask for an increase, talk about combining card credit lines, etc. What a hassle.
Amex is a bit different then Visa/MC. They assign a total credit limit to you as an individual...so if in your case they felt that 55k was the amount and you already had an Amex with a 50k limit they would only give you 5k on the next card. It used to be quite easy to shift limits around from one card to another...but they stopped that (or made it much more difficult to do so) about a couple years back.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Pardon me if this was answered earlier. Is it possible for me to convert my SPG points towards my spouse's AA a/c?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Amex is a bit different then Visa/MC. They assign a total credit limit to you as an individual...so if in your case they felt that 55k was the amount and you already had an Amex with a 50k limit they would only give you 5k on the next card. It used to be quite easy to shift limits around from one card to another...but they stopped that (or made it much more difficult to do so) about a couple years back.
Wonder why they would make it more difficult? What could be the logic in that given it's all under their control? Strange.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
they stopped that (or made it much more difficult to do so) about a couple years back.
They started up again a couple of months ago, based on some FT posts.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by specialeffects
Pardon me if this was answered earlier. Is it possible for me to convert my SPG points towards my spouse's AA a/c?
Not sure what a/c stands for, but if it's "American Airlines account", you can do it by transferring your SPG points to your wife's SPG account (set one up she doesn't have one yet) and then having her convert her SPG points into miles in her AA account. Obviously, if you can wait until she hits 20,000 SPG points, you get a 5,000 miles bonus. And now that AA had its first (I believe) promo where they gave an even greater bonus on conversion, I'm sure there are lots of people accumulating SPG points without converting in the hopes of a repeat at some point.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MilesMark
Not sure what a/c stands for, but if it's "American Airlines account", you can do it by transferring your SPG points to your wife's SPG account (set one up she doesn't have one yet) and then having her convert her SPG points into miles in her AA account. Obviously, if you can wait until she hits 20,000 SPG points, you get a 5,000 miles bonus. And now that AA had its first (I believe) promo where they gave an even greater bonus on conversion, I'm sure there are lots of people accumulating SPG points without converting in the hopes of a repeat at some point.

Yes I meant AA. Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They started up again a couple of months ago, based on some FT posts.
That's good to hear considering how often Amex hamstrings people with an outrageously low credit limit on additional cards.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:50 am

Apparently it is a 40k bonus overall?!

Earn +10000 08/02/2010 SPG AX DEFAULT
Earn +20000 08/02/2010 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR
Earn +10000 07/30/2010 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX)
Earn +2436 07/30/2010 SPG AX BASE SPEND - OPEN
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by MilesMark
Exactly the same situation myself. Odd that some people are getting their extra 20K immediately, but my CSR was unequivocal in her certainty that they would be coming.

Just to clarify:
I have the SPG Business
AX statement called those 10k a "welcome bonus"
SPG acct called it "+10000 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN"

That 10k is what AX offers to ALL applicants on its website and sounds like the basic sign-up bonus.
http://www201.americanexpress.com/bu...dit-card/30438

So it does seem like I may get 30k on top of the 10k as others have mentioned. Sweet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.