Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Okto
Well, I'll poke a hole in that theory. I got the biz card, I got 40K points, and I definitely haven't bought anything from any OPEN merchant.
+1. I used it for utility bills and a few other miscellaneous local merchants.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I also got the 40k for the Business card and have never bought anything from the Open marketplace or any merchant who gives a discount to Open members... I've only bought coins.
Me too, 40K on my business card, 30K on my personal card. Nothing bought from open marketplace.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:01 pm

well i guess i'm just unlucky to get 30k on the biz. no surprise there, i run bad.

Last edited by KidB; Aug 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:30 pm

Got 40k on the biz. Dad got 30k on the personal SPG. Hoping that another 10k will post but seems unlikely based on your reports.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
30K bonus pts. posted 3 days after statement closed; personal card; applied before 7/6 deadline.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:47 pm

We applied for the card on July 28, got it on the 30th. On August 1, we bought a mattress we had already planned to buy to fulfill the $1,000 purchase requirement. On August 16, the 30,000 points posted and we were able to book 5 free nights at the Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto for the upcoming film festival in September! (They had a buy 4 get the 5th night free promo offer.) Very impressed that the offer said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get the points and we got them before the statement even cycled.

I would have preferred the cash plus points option, but it wasn't available for our dates. The Starwood agent told us to keep trying over the next couple of weeks.

We are totally new at this - we've been to the filmfest several times but were wavering because of the cost this year - last year I was able to get an Orbitz package with airfare and 5 nights at this hotel for half of what they wanted for it this year! This Amex offer made it do-able for us, and I'm very excited.

Now if only Porter Air would post a promo code...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, but why did it come in at 60,000 bonus points and a big subtraction? I haven't seen anyone else report a similar oddity.
Actually someone has reported this several weeks ago, when the bonus points just started to show up.

You would think all these postings are automatically done, thus should come in a more standardized fashion...

We did not meet our spending in the first statement which came less than a week after actually got the card. We met our spending requirement early in the 2nd statement cycle. The bonus points posted between 6 and 8 days BEFORE our 2nd statement closing dates. Yet there are people whose bonuses have not posted after 2nd statement date even they have met their spending requirements in the first statement cycle...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me too, was denied the business card applied on July 31st, after already have an instant approval (decent credit line no less) on the personal card when the offers first came out.

One of the reasons given is, "Lack of open and active bank cards..."

I have 4 Citicards, 2 Chase cards, 2 FIA cards and 1 dormant AMEX Gold. One citicard, one chase card and one FIA card are actively used each month but still below 20% utilization of their respective credit lines.

I had 2 SPG biz cards in the past. Last one was closed in 2009. All AMEX cards applied in the past received instant approvals, including an AMEX Biz Gold Card (closed in 2009 before 2nd year annual fee.)

My suspicion of the denial is because I picked the "wrong" business area on the application form. I provide accounting services. On the application form the closest category of business is "Finance / Real Estate", so I picked that. With my address in Florida and the business being "Finance / Real Estate", I suppose this immediately triggers the risk factor into high gear - as I am told "Your American Express Acquisition Risk Score is too high".

I applied the biz card using my SSN, and everything is the same as on the app of personal card which got an instant approval. The ONLY difference is the information of business category. I could not think of anything else to cause the denial. I guess the rumors in the past about people have problems with AMEX if their zip codes are in the "high risk" areas identified in AMEX system is true... The category of your business also can be a factor in the risk assessment model! I suppose if I lie and pick Retail Trade, there would be no issue!

In the denial letter it said I was welcome to reapply again after 30 days... So I am deemed a high risk to AMEX yet it invites me to reapply after 30 days?!

Originally Posted by chazas
Congrats to those who are getting points. I'm jealous.

Thought I'd post the ridiculous decline letter I received (to recap, I have great personal credit, high income, and an SPG person card on which I charge several 10s of thousands annually and pay off every month, but my business card app was denied). Why I got denied for not having a business credit record but many of you didn't, I have no idea. I got nowhere with anyone at Amex.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your recent application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. After reviewing your request, regrettably, we are unable to open an account for you at this time for the following reason(s):

Insufficient time in business.

Information received about the company from a commercial bureau agency.

Our decision was influenced by information in your company's file at the commercial reporting agency named below. The following are the specific factors that affected our decision:

No record at business bureau found.

To better understand the information in your commercial credit file, please contact the commercial reporting agency identified in this letter. . . .

We thank you for applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

Sincerely, *****

Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:26 am

Existing Cardholder

I got my 30K points. Earlier in the thread some folks were skeptical as I held an active AMEX Starwood card, but, I got it anyway.

May have helped that I made a few phone calls to try and get some points for people I signed up - 2. They gave me 6K, so something is better than nothing. I at that point confirmed that I was getting the 30K.

Yay Starpoints!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Existing consumer cardholder. Opened the business account, got 10K after the 1st billing cycle (didn't meet the threshhold), and 20K last night when the 2nd cycle closed (after meeting the threshhold). So 30K for my business account (so far).

For those getting 40K, did you all meet the threshhold in the first month?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Existing consumer cardholder. Opened the business account, got 10K after the 1st billing cycle (didn't meet the threshhold), and 20K last night when the 2nd cycle closed (after meeting the threshhold). So 30K for my business account (so far).

For those getting 40K, did you all meet the threshhold in the first month?
I got the 40K and definetly did not meet the threshold the first month. My first month was only $77.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AA,Platinum AmEx, SPG Gold,WN CP
My personal card

+1871 SPG AX BASE SPEND - CONSUMER (08/10/2010), no bonus points yet.

My business card

+10000 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX) (08/26/2010)
+1313 SPG AX BASE SPEND - OPEN (08/26/2010)

My Dad's card

+10000 SPG AX NEW MBR BONUS (08/16/2010)
+20000 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR (08/16/2010)
His 6k plus spend has yet to show up but oddly did show up on his statement.

My Mom's card

+10000 SPG AX NEW MBR BONUS (08/18/2010)
+20000 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR (08/18/2010)
+1404 SPG AX BASE SPEND - CONSUMER (08/17/2010)

All cards were applied and accepted on the same date.

Last edited by normandy7; Aug 26, 2010 at 6:27 am
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I got 10K then 20K - definitely not 40K. Why are some getting 30 and some 40 when the published program was 30??

What say the Amex lurkers?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I got 10K then 20K - definitely not 40K. Why are some getting 30 and some 40 when the published program was 30??

What say the Amex lurkers?
That's a good question! From what I was told (after having phone conversation with CSR), they were giving out extra 10K for first time customers as a bonus. I'm not sure if you have to be completely new SPG AMEX or not. I forgot the exact dates that I applied but it was prior to the original first deadline (July 7?). Met my threshold within the first billing cycle. 30K posted on 7/29 after meeting my threshold. And another 10K "1st purchase open" posted 8/23 which was AFTER my billing cycle. Total of 40K!

+10000 SPG AX 1ST PURCHASE OPEN (AX) (08/23/2010)
+10000 SPG AX DEFAULT (07/29/2010)
+20000 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-CSR (07/29/2010)

Best
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can't answer that, but I can say that by following the great advice provided in post #248 in this thread by SkinsFan0521, one could end up with 45,000 bonus points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.