FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:43 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me too, was denied the business card applied on July 31st, after already have an instant approval (decent credit line no less) on the personal card when the offers first came out.

One of the reasons given is, "Lack of open and active bank cards..."

I have 4 Citicards, 2 Chase cards, 2 FIA cards and 1 dormant AMEX Gold. One citicard, one chase card and one FIA card are actively used each month but still below 20% utilization of their respective credit lines.

I had 2 SPG biz cards in the past. Last one was closed in 2009. All AMEX cards applied in the past received instant approvals, including an AMEX Biz Gold Card (closed in 2009 before 2nd year annual fee.)

My suspicion of the denial is because I picked the "wrong" business area on the application form. I provide accounting services. On the application form the closest category of business is "Finance / Real Estate", so I picked that. With my address in Florida and the business being "Finance / Real Estate", I suppose this immediately triggers the risk factor into high gear - as I am told "Your American Express Acquisition Risk Score is too high".

I applied the biz card using my SSN, and everything is the same as on the app of personal card which got an instant approval. The ONLY difference is the information of business category. I could not think of anything else to cause the denial. I guess the rumors in the past about people have problems with AMEX if their zip codes are in the "high risk" areas identified in AMEX system is true... The category of your business also can be a factor in the risk assessment model! I suppose if I lie and pick Retail Trade, there would be no issue!

In the denial letter it said I was welcome to reapply again after 30 days... So I am deemed a high risk to AMEX yet it invites me to reapply after 30 days?!

Originally Posted by chazas
Congrats to those who are getting points. I'm jealous.

Thought I'd post the ridiculous decline letter I received (to recap, I have great personal credit, high income, and an SPG person card on which I charge several 10s of thousands annually and pay off every month, but my business card app was denied). Why I got denied for not having a business credit record but many of you didn't, I have no idea. I got nowhere with anyone at Amex.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your recent application for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. After reviewing your request, regrettably, we are unable to open an account for you at this time for the following reason(s):

Insufficient time in business.

Information received about the company from a commercial bureau agency.

Our decision was influenced by information in your company's file at the commercial reporting agency named below. The following are the specific factors that affected our decision:

No record at business bureau found.

To better understand the information in your commercial credit file, please contact the commercial reporting agency identified in this letter. . . .

We thank you for applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

Sincerely, *****