Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Gift cards ship for free (for now at least).

The taxes/fees are offset by the points earned (on domestic), and the rest is really about convenience. I feel like the point multiplier value will be different for individual flyers depending on how much they value the refundability of points purchases vs TTFs and the general inconvenience of using gift cards on their particular purchase.
Can someone please explain what the "taxes/fees" savings are when booking with points? I never actually understood this...

For example, if we have a flight priced (hypothetically) at $105.60 including taxes and 5.60 govt fees, then when you purchase with points, doesn't it cost 7000 points + $5.60?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Can someone please explain what the "taxes/fees" savings are when booking with points? I never actually understood this...

For example, if we have a flight priced (hypothetically) at $105.60 including taxes and 5.60 govt fees, then when you purchase with points, doesn't it cost 7000 points + $5.60?
Look at "Base Fare." Base Fare x 70 = Points Req'd for Award.

To see base fare, one must click through as if one wants to purchase the ticket before one can see that level of detail.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Suddenly that .01 floor isn't looking so solid anymore! A lot of work and planning needed. Gift card shipping cost?

Can the super smart amongst us put a number on at what point multiplier it makes sense to go the gift card route? So many variables, i.e if its for yourself, you earn points (at what value though?), if a gift for someone else it doesn't matter as much.
Also depends if the trip would be tax-deductible.

1.42 cents for a tax-deductible flight is already around 1 cent in the form of a non-taxable Amazon or WN GC.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:10 pm

What does this mean for us amateurs?

Hi all,

Sorry if something like this has been answered or linked to upthread, in which case I missed it looking through. I'm curious as to how this devaluation will/might work in terms relative to other FF/CC programs.

More specifically: I'm a small-time FTer -- not a lot of travel, no concerns or ambitions towards status, mostly trying to earn a few free flights a year through credit card use. I tend to switch back and forth between a WN Visa and a Delta Amex, depending on how many miles I have in each account, what's closer to hitting a threshold for a ticket, etc. Started with Delta about a decade ago, then switched to WN because of airport convenience (Newark), but I've been split of late. So is there a way to compare the relative value of a Southwest mile earned on CC vs. a Delta one, either now or when this valuation actually changes? All other allegiances, etc., aside, where would I be better off putting my money? FWIW, both of my cards are 1 mile per dollar, and I tend to spend about 34K total a month...

Grateful for any replies, links, explanations, etc...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hbouta
FWIW, both of my cards are 1 mile per dollar, and I tend to spend about 34K total a month...

Personally, if I was spending 400K a year on a credit card, I would put it on Chase INK, or Sapphire. Then you could take cash out, book travel @ 20% discount, or transfer 1:1 to WN, since you are using them anyway. Plus you would be earning much more, such as the 5X and 2X bonus points. Lol, I only put about 40k a year on my WN card and cannot take enough free flights to use all the points I have earned.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

More specifically: I'm a small-time FTer -- not a lot of travel, no concerns or ambitions towards status, mostly trying to earn a few free flights a year through credit card use. I tend to switch back and forth between a WN Visa and a Delta Amex, depending on how many miles I have in each account, what's closer to hitting a threshold for a ticket, etc. Started with Delta about a decade ago, then switched to WN because of airport convenience (Newark), but I've been split of late. So is there a way to compare the relative value of a Southwest mile earned on CC vs. a Delta one, either now or when this valuation actually changes? All other allegiances, etc., aside, where would I be better off putting my money? FWIW, both of my cards are 1 mile per dollar, and I tend to spend about 34K total a month...

It is extremely difficult to compare the 2 programs. Even with the devaluation, Delta is a milage based reward program and WN is a dollars based reward program. It depends on where you want to go and when you want to go there as to which program will give you better return on your credit card dollars spent.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I have the Chase Southwest Plus card that the AF just came up on. I haven't flown WN for 16 months, and don't foresee flying with them in 2015. I have 28,012 RR points with them, and I'm very strongly considering just cashing them out for $275 in Amazon GC and closing the card. Am I crazy? I've never considered cashing out miles/points for GCs (besides Citi TY points back in the day before 1.6x airfare and 1:1 transfers). I just don't foresee flying WN any time soon, and with 3 devaluations in a span of 15 months, I don't see much use in holding on to them. Not sure what else to do with them though. If I cancel the CC, I lose the ability to cash out for GCs.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No, you are not crazy. After this deval and Marriott's annual gutting, I'm about to throw in the towel after 10+ years of primarily collecting both and just go the 2% cash back route. If you have no foreseeable need, why bother? Cash out and cancel the card, you can get the AF reversed some 45 days at least. 28k points might not even buy a RT without some long range planning, I just blew 35k for get my daughter back & forth to Orlando for the weekend and its only going to get worse...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
No, you are not crazy. After this deval and Marriott's annual gutting, I'm about to throw in the towel after 10+ years of primarily collecting both and just go the 2% cash back route. If you have no foreseeable need, why bother? Cash out and cancel the card, you can get the AF reversed some 45 days at least. 28k points might not even buy a RT without some long range planning, I just blew 35k for get my daughter back & forth to Orlando for the weekend and its only going to get worse...
During the last week Delta has surprised me with decent 12.5k one-way award availability. They don't charge a close-in redemption fee, so it's just $5.60. Check BA Avios and DL miles (why do they still call them miles under revenue-based earning?) before redeeming RR2 points at >10k each way.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
During the last week Delta has surprised me with decent 12.5k one-way award availability. They don't charge a close-in redemption fee, so it's just $5.60.
DL cut their redemption level base to 10K:

Delta to offer 10000-mile SkyMiles frequent-flier awards
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Personally, if I was spending 400K a year on a credit card, I would put it on Chase INK, or Sapphire. Then you could take cash out, book travel @ 20% discount, or transfer 1:1 to WN, since you are using them anyway. Plus you would be earning much more, such as the 5X and 2X bonus points. Lol, I only put about 40k a year on my WN card and cannot take enough free flights to use all the points I have earned.
Ooops -- that should've been 3-4K, not 34K!! If I had 400K a year to spend, there's a LOT of things I'd do differently!

But seriously, does that change the game at all? Any recommendation for a small-timer of that ilk?...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: HH Silver
Ooops -- that should've been 3-4K, not 34K!! If I had 400K a year to spend, there's a LOT of things I'd do differently!

But seriously, does that change the game at all? Any recommendation for a small-timer of that ilk?...
Lol, that's funny. I was wondering, hmmm, 400k and not concerned about status?

I cant comment on Delta, but like I said, that's about how much I put on my WN card, and never pay for a flight. I think you can use less points on Southwest flights, if that matters. I recently booked a flight SEA-LAS for less than 3000 points. That is why I LUV WN.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
So is there a way to compare the relative value of a Southwest mile earned on CC vs. a Delta one, either now or when this valuation actually changes? All other allegiances, etc., aside, where would I be better off putting my money?

DL is crap. Worst program of the majors.

Sapphire and Ink are good, especially Sapphire for travel (broadly defined, includes parking and tolls). Ink 5x for phone/cable/internet and whatever gift cards you can pick up at Staples/OfficeDepot/max.

These beat WN Visa for me, hands down. Only reason for WN Visa is double points on WN/partner spend and CP-qualifying. If you cannot use a CP, not worth it IMO.

For non-bonus 1x spend, the SPG Amex is hard to beat. I regularly get 3+ cents each value on them (have a reservation next month for 3000 points vs. way over $100 cash). Carlson Visa give 5 points per dollar on all spend, and I consider them worth .5 cents each. But it's been a while since a devaluation, so I sense one coming, and I have a metric ton of them already.

Amex is worth having for the regular deals they offer, like Small Business Saturday in Nov. I saved $270 in about 15 minutes. Plus monthly offers of all kinds ($30 off $300 at Best Buy in December on each card. Visa GCs were eligible).

Originally Posted by roki
I have the Chase Southwest Plus card that the AF just came up on. I haven't flown WN for 16 months, and don't foresee flying with them in 2015. I have 28,012 RR points with them, and I'm very strongly considering just cashing them out for $275 in Amazon GC and closing the card. Am I crazy? I've never considered cashing out miles/points for GCs (besides Citi TY points back in the day before 1.6x airfare and 1:1 transfers). I just don't foresee flying WN any time soon, and with 3 devaluations in a span of 15 months, I don't see much use in holding on to them. Not sure what else to do with them though. If I cancel the CC, I lose the ability to cash out for GCs.
Not crazy to cash out. 1.42 cents sometime in the uncertain future may not be worth much more than 1 cent for sure, right now.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 10, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:00 pm

Could they have started the devaluation early? I've been tracking prices (and points) of a late October one-way flight from CMH - MCO. Yesterday the flight was $139 (or 8075 pts), today the price of the flight is still $139 but the point cost has gone up to 8133.

I thought it was odd that the dollar value of the flight stayed the same but the cost for points went up.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ColumbusTraveler
Could they have started the devaluation early? I've been tracking prices (and points) of a late October one-way flight from CMH - MCO. Yesterday the flight was $139 (or 8075 pts), today the price of the flight is still $139 but the point cost has gone up to 8133.

I thought it was odd that the dollar value of the flight stayed the same but the cost for points went up.
The base fare for that $139 flight is $116.19.

$116.19 x 70 point/1$ = 8133

So, it's currently using the correct formula. If you previously saw it cheaper (in points) it must have been a glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.