Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by derv88
I don't have time to take surveys etc...so, not sure I can share.
tinypic.com is free and you don't need an account; the only thing needed is to complete a captcha for each upload.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:17 am

Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Really says or reveals nothing but thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:23 am

Notice how http://newrapidrewards.com isn't turned on yet?
I cannot get the social media person for SWA on twitter to engage in my comments about the deval. Also, the last screen shot was just for comparison purposes, that's the 7/1 ratio in effect today (and last day tomorrow).

It's crazy how sneaky they are. The SWA employee told me that the internal buzz is that GK gave himself a huge raise we all know about on the backs of the RR members justified by the revenue recognition from the new points program, and my contact said "welcome to airtran."

discuss.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I cannot get the social media person for SWA on twitter to engage in my comments about the deval. Also, the last screen shot was just for comparison purposes, that's the 7/1 ratio in effect today (and last day tomorrow).

It's crazy how sneaky they are. The SWA employee told me that the internal buzz is that GK gave himself a huge raise we all know about on the backs of the RR members justified by the revenue recognition from the new points program, and my contact said "welcome to airtran."
Thanks for sharing. Too bad nothing new is really in the pictures though.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:39 am

The first couple of screens (and the last one) are old news, from the original launch of the RR2.0 program. That URL was used back then; it now redirects to the Southwest website.

Unfortunately, the middle screens which are actually about the devaluation really tell us nothing new.

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Those first two screenshots along with the newrapidrewards.com link seem to be referring over to the initial change from awards and credits to points from a few years ago. newrapidrewards.com was the informational site that they put up back when that occurred.

discuss.
I'm thinking that the first 2 pictures are old and relate to the 2011 program conversion from credits to points and therefore is moot (as well as the url). Anyone else concur or am I batty from doing taxes for days...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:49 am

discuss.
Not sure what is sneaky or how bright the source is judging from the last comment
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Well, the third to the last slide confirms that the change is going to be universally bad, it says that some fares will increase, but doesn't say decrease, the PR announcement uses the word vary... thanks, marketing spin, but now we know vary just means increase .

So yeah, I think this doesn't have anything to do with the number of international destinations or whatever, I think they just ran the numbers and realized that point redemptions were eating up too many revenue seats during peak times and causing overbookings or something... my guess anyway, and the numbers must have been really bad, so thats why this devaluation feels so rushed...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

The SWA employee told me that the internal buzz is that GK gave himself a huge raise we all know about on the backs of the RR members justified by the revenue recognition from the new points program, and my contact said "welcome to airtran."

discuss.
As a former airTran Elite, they never as far as I can remember pulled anything this sneaky.

Plus their frequent flier programs was better, it was just as easy to qualify as Elite and way easier to renew. than RR and they had a real business class. The Elite band small business benefits were far better. Their fares were lower.

I on wish Airtran was still around.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

discuss.
Gary's raise was a mere 24%.

I am sure your raise was more than that.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:13 pm

This info is from a current ops agent. I'm sorry it doesn't provide more info, hopefully I didn't elude to it doing so. According to him, last week, the employees were not given any more than this at that time. Those screen shots he said are from a document that was sent to them in February of this year.

I'm sitting on 1.2M points, so believe me, I am as anxious as anyone about what this means to me long term.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem
Well, the third to the last slide confirms that the change is going to be universally bad, it says that some fares will increase, but doesn't say decrease, the PR announcement uses the word vary... thanks, marketing spin, but now we know vary just means increase .

So yeah, I think this doesn't have anything to do with the number of international destinations or whatever, I think they just ran the numbers and realized that point redemptions were eating up too many revenue seats during peak times and causing overbookings or something... my guess anyway, and the numbers must have been really bad, so thats why this devaluation feels so rushed...
Yes. Well concluded.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:41 pm

Anyone tracking fares in prices and points (like routes commonly flown) to come up with some data points post April 17?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.