Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I am not necessarily saying that it would be cheaper for them to fly, but their calculus of how much it costs to drive isn't even close. Maintenance and depreciation on the car are hidden, but real costs. You cannot drive a car for much less than 40 cents a mile and it is probably closer to 50 cents, depending on how long you keep the car.

That said your point is correct that people perceive driving to be much less expensive than it really is and this should be a limit on how much airlines can charge.
Some things are already calculated in. You are paying car insurance, car property tax ( not cheap in CT) and registration regardless of whether you drive the car to Florida or it sits at the airport while you fly. An extra 2400 miles isn't going to effect the cars value much if at all.

Even using 40 cents a mile (2400 miles $960) it's still cheaper than flying for 4 people BEFORE you factor in the rental car which they will need for a week from once they arrive. A full size rental ( big enough for 4 people plus bags) in prime season in Florida can easily run $400 with all the crazy taxes and airport fees they charge.

They also live an hour from the airport in CT or NY so if you fly you have to add those miles @ 40 cents a mile and of course airport parking for a week which even offsite is $100 in CT or NY.

You are correct in that most people only see the gas and toll expenses when in reality the cost is more but I think even 40 cents a mile is high at the current gas prices.

Personally I would never drive but then again I haven't paid for a flight in 10 years.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 10, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tatterdema
SEA-LHR $437
SEA-FRA $459
SEA-AMS $459

PHL-LHR $480
PHL-AMS $523
PHL-FRA $523

NYC-LHR $398

Just quickly looking.
Round trip? If so, wow never for the dates I'm looking for. ^ My 36,000 AA ticket to AMS is roundtrip (and I'm saying those AA miles are thus more valuable than 36,000 rr points worth $514 in this case that's all).

Originally Posted by FCfree
As you said, if you are mostly flying domestic, then it doesn't favor AA. If you have to spend $13,000 to get 13,000 miles and 13,000 bonus miles (effectively 2 miles per $1), there is a lot of the time that will get you one domestic one-way on AA. $13k of spend on the SWA VISA will (at least at the moment) give you almost every possible one-way flight if you book on the WGA fare. Even if the points for a particular flight are going up on SWA, it still seems like $1 of spend gets you further on SWA than on AA, domestically.

So I think it depends what you need and want your miles for. I use mine primarily to fly my wife and daughter with me on vacations. I'll use miles for myself when I have enough. That is mostly domestic. I also have CP for this year, so it is in effect buy two (with points or cash) and get one free. That balance still favors SWA.

However, if we start to see a different experience ... too many points to get from here to there, I will have to look at other options. But, with AA, UA and F9, the problem is that they will charge you bag fees, change fees, etc. so when I add that in, even a bit higher point redemption is still going to favor SWA.

Any devaluation sucks ... and it would seem that we are in for more devaluations, both on April 17 and at some point in the future. After we see how bad this is, I will adjust to optimize for whichever airline gives the best deal.
Yes definitely. All great points. We only use RR for FL and CUN from PHL or BWI. Many flights for 10K points each versus 25k miles on the other 3 carriers. I'm also looking at CC spend only there--and if you have an AA card you'll get free bags. WN still has it's place for flying but mostly for CC spend you're better off with an AA card or 2% cash back is what I was saying to the poster saying he is going to ditch the Chase WN card.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by airb330
Round trip? If so, wow never for the dates I'm looking for. ^ My 36,000 AA ticket to AMS is roundtrip (and I'm saying those AA miles are thus more valuable than 36,000 rr points worth $514 in this case that's all).
No, one way. I thought you were referring to the 17,500/one way points.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:25 am

Round trip? If so, wow
Interesting that you say "wow," since WOW Air www.wowair.us shows $207 one-way BWI-Berlin SXF.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
Interesting that you say "wow," since WOW Air www.wowair.us shows $207 one-way BWI-Berlin SXF.
Yeah we might have to try them out of BWI at some point.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by rove312
For a while I think they had some promo fares for like $99 each way, though that may have been just to KEF. Of course I had to grab a BWI-KEF-BOS RT (plus WN positioning flights from HOU).
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
From a practical perspective, WN has been devaluing award redemptions for some time. We are considering a leisure trip SAN-LAS for a long weekend in early October, using RR points. AT fare is approximately 20k points, WGA fares during the week start at less than 5k, most midday flight are over 7k. For a Sunday return, WGA fares for some reasonable departure times have already disappeared, those remaining are on the order of 10k.

Again using my earlier Avios reference, I can go from SAN to MRY, SJD on AS, PHX to US for less than 5k Avios on the SAME DATES.

From a practical perspective, this is the only leisure route I would consider using WN, as all other options can be booked using awards on full service carriers. Despite what some may claim, we are typically successful finding award redemptions to desired destinations, timing.

IS WN SUGGESTING THIS WILL GET WORSE AFTER APRIL 17???
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by diver858
From a practical perspective, WN has been devaluing award redemptions for some time. We are considering a leisure trip SAN-LAS for a long weekend in early October, using RR points. AT fare is approximately 20k points, WGA fares during the week start at less than 5k, most midday flight are over 7k. For a Sunday return, WGA fares for some reasonable departure times have already disappeared, those remaining are on the order of 10k.

Again using my earlier Avios reference, I can go from SAN to MRY, SJD on AS, PHX to US for less than 5k Avios on the SAME DATES.

From a practical perspective, this is the only leisure route I would consider using WN, as all other options can be booked using awards on full service carriers. Despite what some may claim, we are typically successful finding award redemptions to desired destinations, timing.

IS WN SUGGESTING THIS WILL GET WORSE AFTER APRIL 17???
Yes - you are seeing variances in points cost as the cash prices are fluctuating in lockstep depending on the day of week or time of day. After April 17, the points don't necessarily need to be tied to the 70:1 points to dollar ratio. Beware people!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:11 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Apr 12, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I've had better luck on very short notice, just a few days before travel.
Yep. This is where an Expertflyer subscription is very helpful.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:46 am

Is there a simple way to post images here? I've got some secret ops screen shots of the internal comm on the new program, but don't have hours to figure out the photo posting thing.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by derv88
Is there a simple way to post images here? I've got some secret ops screen shots of the internal comm on the new program, but don't have hours to figure out the photo posting thing.
I upload the pics to tinypic.com (it's free), and then copy and paste the links here as images.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:00 am

I don't have time to take surveys etc...so, not sure I can share.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
There are threads in the trip reports forum and travel photography forum about the plethora of ways to post pictures. There are many free and easy ways.

Since I have a gmail account, I use picasaweb/google photos for free.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
I don't have time to take surveys etc...so, not sure I can share.
use http://www.imgur.com/ it's easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.