Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Consider BA Avios for shorter haul flights

BA Avios continue to look better and better. Like RR 2.0, they are distance based, can be used to book North American flights on AA, AS and US. From personal experience, they are a great deal for destinations like Hawaii and Mexico from the West Coast, Mexico and the Caribbean from the East Coast. We have also found Avios cash + points options to offer excellent redemption value for flights within Europe - very competitive with budget carriers but without the significant downgrade in service, nickel and diming.

Yes - Avios capacity is limited, requires some advance planning, tools like Expert Flyer for availability alerts, but it offers some of the best redemption values for AMEX MRs and Chase URs, or those interested in getting the BA Card from Chase. Cancellation policies are also quite generous, primary hassle is having to call BA to book AS awards, as they are not currently shown on the BA website.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by diver858
BA Avios continue to look better and better. Like RR 2.0, they are distance based, can be used to book North American flights on AA, AS and US. From personal experience, they are a great deal for destinations like Hawaii and Mexico from the West Coast, Mexico and the Caribbean from the East Coast. We have also found Avios cash + points options to offer excellent redemption value for flights within Europe - very competitive with budget carriers but without the significant downgrade in service, nickel and diming.

Yes - Avios capacity is limited, requires some advance planning, tools like Expert Flyer for availability alerts, but it offers some of the best redemption values for AMEX MRs and Chase URs, or those interested in getting the BA Card from Chase. Cancellation policies are also quite generous, primary hassle is having to call BA to book AS awards, as they are not currently shown on the BA website.
The two big things to watch out for are:

- the domestic availability requires AA or AS sAAver awards. There's no option to use more points to travel at popular times as you can with AAnytime awards or WN. It's not uncommon for there to be weeks and months where there is no availability on AA on some routes.

- most transatlantic rewards on BA carry VERY heavy "carrier surcharges" which can cost almost as much on a trip from the US to Europe as buying a heavily discounted ticket on the same flight

AVIOS may work for some predominantly US travellers but I suspect most will find them frustrating.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bernardd
- the domestic availability requires AA or AS sAAver awards. There's no option to use more points to travel at popular times as you can with AAnytime awards or WN. It's not uncommon for there to be weeks and months where there is no availability on AA on some routes.
AAvailability tends to open a few days before travel for off-peak flights. As long as BA does not impose a late booking fee this gives you a reasonable redemption option for short-notice travel. That's about the only good use of Avios these days.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by bernardd
The two big things to watch out for are:

- most transatlantic rewards on BA carry VERY heavy "carrier surcharges" which can cost almost as much on a trip from the US to Europe as buying a heavily discounted ticket on the same flight

AVIOS may work for some predominantly US travellers but I suspect most will find them frustrating.
Don't forget ANY connecting airport i.e. LAX-IAH via DFW will incur a per segment charge. So LAX-IAH nonstop would be 10K Avios. But LAX-PHX-IAH would be 12K Avios. AND, if you have to mix metal i.e. AA to PHX and US to IAH, it would be at a completely different rate (stupid rule about mixing carriers; I don't recall the specifics).
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Just flushed 220k points.

Maybe I will wait until Apr 17 to see if I will buffet the double TQP/RDM promo ending Apr 27, or just enjoy my last year of CP and AL+
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Just flushed 220k points.

Maybe I will wait until Apr 17 to see if I will buffet the double TQP/RDM promo ending Apr 27, or just enjoy my last year of CP and AL+
Man, everyone really is thinking end of the world here... I'm really hoping that isn't the case.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by mastermind85
Man, everyone really is thinking end of the world here... I'm really hoping that isn't the case.
I think what will happen is mid day flights will be more expensive, early morning and late night will remain normal.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by slickvik
I think what will happen is mid day flights will be more expensive, early morning and late night will remain normal.
I think the opposite.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by mastermind85
Me too but if it wasn't, they wouldn't have switched the model so drastically and un-transparently.

There is a huge difference in effectively stating that redemptions ARE 70pts/$ and redemptions START at 70pts/$.

Fridays, Sundays, Holiday periods, Spring Breaks, Summer, etc are now just low hanging fruit to kick up the redemption ratio above and beyond the dynamically priced airfares already.

Its designed to help clear up the glut of points out there already or convert award flight to cash or both.

My only question is whether they'll get the bad news all out on day one or sneakily ramp it up over time.

I guess we'll see. I've already stopped charging mega amounts on my WN cards for the safety of a fixed rate cash back.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think the opposite.
Well that's assuming early and late flights have less demand. I really don't know. I usually use points for Saturday morning and Monday evening flights which are pretty cheap.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
There is a huge difference in effectively stating that redemptions ARE 70pts/$ and redemptions START at 70pts/$.
They didn't actually say that. Their statement leaves a slim possibility of even cheaper redemptions.

Those of us who use points for rock-bottom fares booked far in advance are not likely to see much change. We'll know more in 9 days.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:03 pm

Midday flights seem most favored by business travelers. I prefer evening flights so a delay won't effect my schedule as much.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:20 pm

This is one time it would be nice if FT were organized. That way, we could assign different routes to different people to log before and after comparisons and perhaps figure out the method to the madness. WN, of course, will never disclose their recipe.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by gogreyhound
This is one time it would be nice if FT were organized. That way, we could assign different routes to different people to log before and after comparisons and perhaps figure out the method to the madness. WN, of course, will never disclose their recipe.
See my earlier posts in this thread - I've already proposed how to do this.

The biggest problem I see is that FT users keep looking at the wrong number for comparing 70 pts/$1 - it is the base fare.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
They didn't actually say that. Their statement leaves a slim possibility of even cheaper redemptions.
Can I interest you in a Bridge currently for sale in Brooklyn?

I am admittedly a pessimist person in these affairs but don't see any glimmer in this part of the "statement" (or the entire statement) that gives hope to cheaper redemptions!

"However, there are still many flights which will stay at the current redemption rate."

Inverse indicates many flights will be at greater redemption rates.

What is considered many? 30 out of a hundred? 20? Even "most" would indicate at least 51 but they used "many".

Armageddon people, wake up!! If not immediate, eventually...

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 8, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.