Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I seem to recall that we had a thread when 2.0 started and concluded pretty quickly that cash-like points were going to bite WN.
And in turn, bite us!

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I am not quite in the same boat ex-MDW, but I don't like flying at 5:50 am and availability during the day is usually terrible, so it's almost as bad. If your 1.5s ex-ISP are mostly good for FL and not worth much to you, maybe you could donate them to a charity and help them book flights. Perhaps "Give Kids the World," or "Make-A-Wish" for an MCO trip.

Not tax-deductible, but still feel-good.
Apologies, I mis-wrote. The standard 1.5 awards are useless for ALL flights including the 4 Florida cities so I don't think donating them will help, which I would gladly do rather than let expire. I often have to connect through MCO to get to MCI, MDW, DEN, AUS and points West when the 4 BWI flights do not connect up properly. I know, woe is me...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Just wanted to bring this thread back up now that it's March. Am I correct in assuming that we will get some details about this devaluation before April 17th? Or is that just wishful thinking..?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Just wanted to bring this thread back up now that it's March. Am I correct in assuming that we will get some details about this devaluation before April 17th? Or is that just wishful thinking..?
Wishful thinking. If Southwest wanted to tell us anything they would have done it last month. They must believe that the change is too complex for us to understand and that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads about it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Wishful thinking. If Southwest wanted to tell us anything they would have done it last month. They must believe that the change is too complex for us to understand and that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads about it.
NSX, that's just hyperbole. What else, besides perhaps listing a few routes and destinations, can they tell us at this point? And those routes and destinations will change over time in terms of RR pricing.

The new redemption scheme is going to be dynamic and change based upon seat availability, amongst other things.

Just like the formula they use for determining boarding order for AL, they aren't going to share this with us.

I completely agree that the devaluation sucks, but I just don't see what else they can tell us right now.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
NSX, that's just hyperbole. What else, besides perhaps listing a few routes and destinations, can they tell us at this point? And those routes and destinations will change over time in terms of RR pricing.

The new redemption scheme is going to be dynamic and change based upon seat availability, amongst other things.

Just like the formula they use for determining boarding order for AL, they aren't going to share this with us.

I completely agree that the devaluation sucks, but I just don't see what else they can tell us right now.
If WN came out and confirmed that what you described is true, I think that would be valuable for me (and others). But it seems to me at least, based on reading through this thread that there are at least a couple plausible interpretations of their vague announcement (one of which is the one you described).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:53 pm

One thing they could tell us, but aren't, is what the upper limit will be in terms of point per dollar. Or, more precisely, that there isn't going to be one anymore.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
One thing they could tell us, but aren't, is what the upper limit will be in terms of point per dollar. Or, more precisely, that there isn't going to be one anymore.
Exactly. But lets fear the most likely scenario, Friday's, Sunday's, International, Holiday periods, Florida in March, major events, etc. are going to be WGA x some factor, would not surprise me to see it double to 140/$, easily. Once you go down this non transparent path, why limit it? Only the 1% like us obsessives will even realize it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:22 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
Once you go down this non transparent path, why limit it?
1. The alternative to redeem for gift cards (for RR Visa holders), and
2. The option to drop the RR Visa in favor of a 2% cashback card.

These options do not require much sophistication of customers. Arguably they require less sophistication than playing the RR game.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nsx

These options do not require much sophistication of customers. Arguably they require less sophistication than playing the RR game.

My card renewal is October, 90% chance I am not renewing it. Hyatt and Citi Double Cash have replaced its use on all but SWA air purchases. Hopefully that be included in the monthly report to senior management.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I imagine this is because they want be able to up it later without telling anyone. They have said it would be "small", but their "small" may not be mine.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Exactly. But lets fear the most likely scenario, Friday's, Sunday's, International, Holiday periods, Florida in March, major events, etc. are going to be WGA x some factor, would not surprise me to see it double to 140/$, easily. Once you go down this non transparent path, why limit it? Only the 1% like us obsessives will even realize it.
Come on folks, I'm a glass-half-full type of guy, but it has to be the above, right? If you were a WN exec and had signed off on RR2, and you had already lost all credibility in terms of a fixed point/$ ratio...isn't this the next logical step? Wouldn't this be EXACTLY what you would do?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

You make a great point and reminded me that there is a 1c floor (if they don't tinker with that) and the 2% earning potential - again great for us point hos. But I wonder if they are that thought out or care about the cc side. Is it the common businessman with the large point balances from BIS AT & BS fares that they are trying to reign in & whittle down?

I guess time will tell. I am a half empty type of guy...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:07 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Is it the common businessman with the large point balances from BIS AT & BS fares that they are trying to reign in & whittle down?
I think so. All airlines realize that FF programs don't motivate enough additional sales to justify even the current value of points earnings. Only the points sold to banks and other partners carry their weight.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
You make a great point and reminded me that there is a 1c floor (if they don't tinker with that) and the 2% earning potential - again great for us point hos. But I wonder if they are that thought out or care about the cc side. Is it the common businessman with the large point balances from BIS AT & BS fares that they are trying to reign in & whittle down?

I guess time will tell. I am a half empty type of guy...
I see the point being made here and don't disagree. But I would argue that a hypothetical person that (1) has a WN CC; and (2) realizes that points can be redeemed for gift cards, and most importantly (3) connects the fact that he carries an airline card but that the best redemption is for gift cards, is like a .1% Ninja FTer and is surely not remotely representational of the average WN cardholder.

Anecdote, my wife has a WN CC, is my Companion, travels the US for free, and generally "gets" the whole game, but would tell me I was insane if I told her we were redeeming WN points for gift cards.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
I would totally ditch the CC if it didn't help me renew my Companion Pass when needed.

I have other cards that are much more lucrative.

But then again, if they ever get rid of the CP, I, along with countless others, will be done with WN. Done.

I think they know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.