Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by texashoser
They number crunch and use statistical analysis to determine whether the bonuses from credit card sign-ups and spending that apply towards the companion pass are generating revenue from a cost/benefit ratio. They know exactly how many companion pass holders got their pass with one or two CC sign-up bonuses and what the average one of these types of pass holders cost them in terms of revenue vs. the amount of money they get from Chase and how much these types of pass holders spend in terms of actual revenue flights once their bonus points run out.

If it was such a bad deal, they would stop it.

As you saw from another poster, their bonuses posted this year did count. I just checked my account and my CC spend bonus (ie, the points you get from spending each month) did count towards my 2015 CP renewal.

If yours isn't, it doesn't really matter what's happening to other folks' accounts: yours will either get fixed by itself as part of WN's on-going audit process or (gasp!) you'll need to call them up so they can fix your issue.
I think you're getting me and the OP on this topic confused. He was the one with the issue of not posting. I'm just a guy asking if anyone had their count because my statement closes today and he spooked me. Thanks for the details though. Appreciated.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by texashoser
They know exactly how many companion pass holders got their pass with one or two CC sign-up bonuses and the...cost vs. ...revenue.
Most definitely, and it's easy analytics. They've been allowing this strategy for many years, so they must feel it's worth it. It sure worked with me! I signed up for two cards and am switching all my travel and cc spend from Delta (Diamond) to Southwest. They'll be getting a lot of business from me. I never would have made the switch without the ability to earn CP so quickly (along with Delta's decimation of its Skymiles program in my situation).

I imagine that most CPes don't get used very often, just a few times a year. And the vast majority of RR credit card owners don't churn their cards but instead keep on spending and flying to retain their CPes. So SW is willing to swallow the relative few that game the system to the nth degree.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Transfer Timing (based on my experience and reading others' reports):

UR --> Hyatt: Typically, instantly.

Hyatt --> WN: YMMV. HGP points are deducted instantly. WN RR points typically appear on the following Monday or Tuesday morning (with an activity date of when then HGP convert points to miles transaction was initiated); however, some report 2 weeks or more (T&Cs say up to 4-6 weeks). **More importantly, HGP rarely (if ever) seems to properly include the 6k bonus RR points for every 50k HGP to 24k WN RR automatically (check the confirmation email from HGP to see if they're included).** So, a follow-up call/email to HGP is needed to ensure those post too (at least one person I know made this call in between the conversion initiation and the points posting to WN and the bonus points were added in a 2nd transaction with the base converted points) and the "activity date" of those bonus points appear to be the date of the follow-up call/email to HGP.
I thought I'd add a specific datapoint; but, it may prove helpful to others (because it shows how the "activity date" is important and applied, especially in the context of straddling a calendar year).

~12/23/2014: I transferred 100k UR to 100k HGP. These points posted instantly in HGP.

~12/23/2014: I initiated the conversion of 100k HGP points to miles at the 100k:60k WN RR ratio.

~12/29/2014 (Monday morning): 48k WN RR appeared in my WN RR account as a result. However, the 12k additional points did not appear.

~12/29/2014: I called HGP and they initiated a separate transfer of 12k "miles" to WN. I could see this in my HGP activity instantly; however, nothing showed in my WN RR account.

~1/5/2014 (Monday morning): 12k additional WN RR points appeared in my WN RR account with an activity date of 12/29/2014. These were the final points to push me over 110k CPQPs for CY 2014 to qualify for the CP through 12/31/2015. However, when filtering my WN RR account "details", these never showed as companion pass qualifying (I assume because of the year straddling). Still, by the afternoon of 1/5/2015, when logging into my RR account under the "Snapshot" tab, I have a highlighted message "You Have Earned a Companion Pass!" which I clicked on and it allowed me to designate my companion through 12/31/2015.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
I did not realize you could filter your points awarded for companion pass qualifying until just now. I used the drop down menu to choose all points that qualified and it showed the 52,973 that posted on 1/4/15. Whew. Now if they'll just show up in my companion pass status bar, but I'm sure they will in the next couple of days.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: RR, UM, AsiaMiles
personal plus and premier

Can anyone confirm if they got both the bonuses for the personal card (plus and premier) this time around? I got denied for business card and applying for the other personal card seems to be the only way for a CP now.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Gold / WN CP
I wanted to add another data point. My Chase Plus & Premier cards closed on 1/1/2015. I reached the $2k spending requirement for the bonus points on 12/29/14 and 12/30/14.

Chase processed the 50,000 bonus points on 1/4/2015 and they will be reflected in my next statement. I hope the behind the scenes transaction to Southwest is faster, but 23 months of the CP seems good to me.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
My statement closed last night (1/5) and 50k+ points are showing on chase's online statement. In everyone's experience, should I see those in my RR account sometime today or will it be tomorrow?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by finloopio
My statement closed last night (1/5) and 50k+ points are showing on chase's online statement. In everyone's experience, should I see those in my RR account sometime today or will it be tomorrow?
From my experience, it usually takes 3-6 business days. It's a little different each statement.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by finloopio
2 days after closing typically for mine. Sometimes only 1 day after.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Data Point

Data Point:

Biz Card - Due Date 28-Dec, Statement Close 3-Jan. Did all spending mid-December; Points showed up in RR with a Post Date of 4-Jan, but a transaction date of 2-Jan (day before card closing date). That might be a word of warning to anyone with a 1-Jan closing date.

Personal Card - Due Date 1-Jan, Statement Close 4-Jan. Haven't gotten my statement or points yet.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, IHG PLM AMB
Personal and Biz statements closed 1/4/2015 with required min spending on them

Spending and 2-50K bonuses for a total over the 110K requirement posted to RR on 1/6/2015.

Companion pass status still shows 0% (yesterday and earlier today had status pending message)

Booked the trips I need with points today waiting until status updates to add companion ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:03 am

Another data point:
1) SW CC Bonus earned on statement ending 1/2/15. Points posted 1/4/15.
2) Hyatt Points transferred to SW 1/3/15. Points posted 1/4/15. Had to call on 1/4/15 to get the bonus points credited on 1/5/15
3) "Tier pending" status cleared on 1/6/15.
4) Companion pass bar still reads 0% on 1/7/15. All three transaction show up in Jan 2015 in the "CP Qualifying activity" category.

What do people think? Should I call up Southwest and ask them to manually fix my account? Or just wait? I have several tickets I'd like to add a companion to sooner than later.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by makryger
What do people think? Should I call up Southwest and ask them to manually fix my account? Or just wait? I have several tickets I'd like to add a companion to sooner than later.
Wait. Unless, you need your companion to fly with you in the next week. The more CSR time is spent early in the year on activating CPs, the more of an expense for WN this becomes.

Since the points show as CPQPs in the filtered activity details, it should be fixed on its own.

And, if you haven't had the CP previously, you may find that you actually don't want to add your Companion's reservation sooner rather than later because of the annoyance of canceling it in order to change or refare ypur underlying reservation.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I redeemed one of the Marriott travel packages on January 2nd that included 120,000 RR points. The points showed up a couple days later and the status was still showing pending. On the evening of the 5th, the status pending went away and the CP status remained at 0% which concerned me. I searched and read everything I could find and most everyone discouraged calling SW. I read others having success with Hyatt transfers, and even Marriott. I finally called SW yesterday and got a very nice person who first checked and confirmed that the point transfer will qualify and then put me on hold to check and see why it had not yet. She came back after talking with someone and said it should be done by the 11th. I told her that I can be patient but the uncertainty was a different story. Hopefully we will all see what we have been waiting for by the 11th.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by paulhga
I redeemed one of the Marriott travel packages on January 2nd that included 120,000 RR points. The points showed up a couple days later and the status was still showing pending. On the evening of the 5th, the status pending went away and the CP status remained at 0% which concerned me. I searched and read everything I could find and most everyone discouraged calling SW. I read others having success with Hyatt transfers, and even Marriott. I finally called SW yesterday and got a very nice person who first checked and confirmed that the point transfer will qualify and then put me on hold to check and see why it had not yet. She came back after talking with someone and said it should be done by the 11th. I told her that I can be patient but the uncertainty was a different story. Hopefully we will all see what we have been waiting for by the 11th.
Thanks for the info. My bonus points from my SW Premier card posted to my RR account on 1/4/15 and my companion pass status bar still says 0% as of this post. Maybe they are processing all of these by the 11th, though. I have not yet called up to WN customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.