Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:33 am

How long does a Chase UR -> Hyatt - > Southwest transfer usually take? Is it instant from UR? What about Hyatt -> Southwest?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by trouble747
A statement closing date of January 1 makes it safe to do the spend now, correct? I know we've covered this a million times but I don't want to screw it up!
Provided that the January 1 date does not change. If your last statement date was December 1 you can feel 98% safe. If January 1 is your first statement date (i.e. an estimate) then you are no better than 90% safe IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Provided that the January 1 date does not change. If your last statement date was December 1 you can feel 98% safe. If January 1 is your first statement date (i.e. an estimate) then you are no better than 90% safe IMHO.
Thanks for the info. You think this is true even if we've contacted chase and specifically asked for the statement closing date to be moved (along with the corresponding payment due date) so that the closing date falls on the 1st?

Actually, now that I look at it our request created a first statement date right after the account was opened. The account detail now reads this:

Last Statement Date 12/01/2014
Next Closing Date 01/01/2015
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:38 am

Hi all, iv'e searched and still am not sure, if you buy a gift card from the southwest site,not the rr shopping portal, do the bonus points count toward companion pass? For instance, a $100 bestwestern card has a 10000 point bonus right now
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
How long does a Chase UR -> Hyatt - > Southwest transfer usually take? Is it instant from UR? What about Hyatt -> Southwest?
I'd also like to know this. I know officially it is "allow 6-8 weeks" but is there a thread out there with actual Hyatt transfer times that I'm not finding?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:12 am

never mind, I found my answer and I sure feel stupid
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cavergreg
never mind, I found my answer and I sure feel stupid
So what was it?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:35 am

It costs 10000 point to purchase the gift card
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:59 am

Would this work?

My wife has the companion pass through the end of 2015. I'm listed as her companion because we have a trip in mid April that we are taking together. I will be getting the companion pass in early 2015. We'd like to take a family trip in June where we'd each have one of the kids as a companion so we can fly 5 for the price of 3.

Could we book 2 reservations now? One with one of us and one child and the other just by themselves. Once our April trip is over, she could name one of the children without a ticket her companion and I could name the other that isn't ticketed. Then each of us add our companion to the ticket.

This would allow us to get our tickets now for 3 of us at the current lower rate and not risk it going higher before our trip in April is over. Any issues with the plan?

Edit: I guess I could name my companion as soon as I earn the pass instead of waiting until after our trip. She would be the only one that would have to wait to switch it.

Last edited by briggek8717; Dec 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by briggek8717
Would this work?

My wife has the companion pass through the end of 2015. I'm listed as her companion because we have a trip in mid April that we are taking together. I will be getting the companion pass in early 2015. We'd like to take a family trip in June where we'd each have one of the kids as a companion so we can fly 5 for the price of 3.

Could we book 2 reservations now? One with one of us and one child and the other just by themselves. Once our April trip is over, she could name one of the children without a ticket her companion and I could name the other that isn't ticketed. Then each of us add our companion to the ticket.

This would allow us to get our tickets now for 3 of us at the current lower rate and not risk it going higher before our trip in April is over. Any issues with the plan?

Edit: I guess I could name my companion as soon as I earn the pass instead of waiting until after our trip. She would be the only one that would have to wait to switch it.
Book any putative Companion now on points.

Once you have the CP(s) and have named (or switched to) that person as the "C," call WN and they will switch to a CP ticket.

This locks in current fare at worst.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:02 pm

Just earned a 2015 Companion Pass. My wife and I already have WGA fares booked with cash for travel in March. Am I right that the best I can do is get Travel Funds for her ticket which would expire in 2015 anyway?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dansachs
Just earned a 2015 Companion Pass. My wife and I already have WGA fares booked with cash for travel in March. Am I right that the best I can do is get Travel Funds for her ticket which would expire in 2015 anyway?
Yes, the funds are locked to her and expire 1 year after the fare was purchased.

If you let them expire, likely you can resurrect them, less $100, I think up to 6 months later.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:11 am

Thanks for the response. Guess she's got a free ticket to travel without me.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If resurrected, anyone can use the voucher.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just qualified for CP 2015 on my last paid flight of 2014. I had used Choice point transfers to fill the gap between the 100k requirement and my approximately 30k flight points plus 7k shopping points. Next year I will have a 50k credit card bonus to fill most of the gap, and I still have some Choice points left to move to Southwest.

OTOH, Choice points are more valuable for stays at cheap hotels if I need those in 2015. I want to save my Hyatt points for Sydney some day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.