Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Best news of the day! It is the biggest scam around ((now that trump is no longer pres)
How original.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
For those of us sick of being stuck in lockdown States (or in places like Cali that change their status every couple of days) come to FL- I've had to be in the FLL area for a couple of weeks now handling some family affairs and it's open AF- if it weren't for the masked waitstaff (and occasional customer) in (crowded) bars, restaurants, gyms, etc.you'd think it's 2019!
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by marcworld
I wasn't going to mention it, but since you asked. I got the right-hand row 5 to myself, and as the rest of the passengers boarded...at least one and perhaps several of them gassed me on their way to further rows.

I suppose, in a begrudging nod to the mask refusers – the (dare I say, atrocious) odor had no trouble permeating my face covering and quickly made its way into my nose.
Make sure you wear at least six masks next time, or you'll kill grandma.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yes, so how is that Southwest's fault? Do you want the flight attendants to rifle through boarding passengers' belongings and throw away any food they find?
I fear that you are confusing my tongue in cheek satire for reality. Ma & Pa Kettles are mythical passengers who embody many of the characteristics of first-time Southwest passengers who have just upgraded from the local Greyhound bus service. The point of my post was apparently lost -- that point being: I would be happy for SWA to discontinue all in flight snack and beverage service for the duration of the pandemic - I want everyone to have a mask over their mouth AND nose, a REAL mask, not one of those "gator" cloth pseudo masks, for the duration of the flight and as long as I am required to be in close proximity to them. Forget Ma and Pa and the McNuggets - my unsuccessful effort at humor to make a point. If you have ever had an inebriated seat mate juggling food and drink next you, then spilling same on you, it might be easier to understand.

Last edited by screeton; Jan 29, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by screeton
I fear that you are confusing my tongue in cheek satire for reality. Ma & Pa Kettles are mythical passengers who embody many of the characteristics of first-time Southwest passengers who have just upgraded from the local Greyhound bus service. The point of my post was apparently lost -- that point being: I would be happy for SWA to discontinue all in flight snack and beverage service for the duration of the pandemic - I want everyone to have a mask over their mouth AND nose, a REAL mask, not one of those "gator" cloth pseudo masks, for the duration of the flight and as long as I am required to be in close proximity to them. Forget Ma and Pa and the McNuggets - my unsuccessful effort at humor to make a point. If you have ever had an inebriated seat mate juggling food and drink next you, then spilling same on you, it might be easier to understand.
Your demands for a prison-like atmosphere on Southwest are not going to happen. Feel free to charter a private jet.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:31 pm

The equation of common sense measures to limit exposure to covid to a "prison-like" atmosphere really needs no response, it speaks for itself. That mindset does help to explain why the US has by far the highest death rate from Covid, and perhaps explains why many SWA flights continue to have anemic loads despite the lowest fare levels in memory, and a significantly reduced seat inventory due to reduced flight frequency between most cities. Until the pandemic is brought under control, nothing is going to be back to normal... not eating out, not traveling to fun destinations, and not flying on SWA or any other carrier. We all need to make the minimal sacrifice to put the virus down, but thus far, the behavior of some continues to jeopardize any such recovery.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:13 pm
Suspended

In reply to that post by ursine1, WN's quality of FA's went downhill after the AirTran merger. Went from the quirky Texas hospitality airline to Corporate America Airlines,
Old Jan 30, 2021, 3:32 am

A dose of reality appeared in 2021. If you are close to someone who is carrying the virus, you are at risk, whether you are on an aircraft, in a restaurant, or elsewhere. Manage the risk accordingly... wear a good mask, keep it on while you are on the plane and in the airport, and you should be OK.
Originally Posted by ovacikar
Thus is not about exposure during flight, this is about people bringing mutated variants to new communities, like in the beginning of the pandemic.
How about we adopt required rapid testing at the airport in exchange for dropping the mask requirement?

​​​​​
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
, nothing is going to be back to normal... not eating out, not traveling to fun destinations, and not flying on SWA or any other carrier
For you, maybe- but I've been in a handful of states lately where if you didn't see the masks you'd swear it's 2019.

... oh, and been getting there on 90%+ full flights.

FT is a bubble.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:23 am

It appears that the enlightened CDC now recognizes that mask wearing on public transportation makes sense, as recognized by the mask mandate that goes into effect Monday. From a practical standpoint, it won't mean much difference for most travelers who are sensible and comply with SWA mask requirements anyway. The CDC mandate will give the airlines some cover when dealing with a problem passenger who insists on his "individual freedom" and to heck with everyone else.

Back to the original topic of this thread - beverage service and the availability thereof. It would be interesting to see the consensus of real passengers, not just the small bubble of posters here, with regard to beverage and snack service. I am happy to forego a drink or a snack on a flight to get the benefits of staying masked. People actually needing to take meds in flight are a reasonable "brief" exception to this discussion, but in this covid world, do you really want your seatmate, a stranger, sitting unmasked next to you while he nurses a drink or makes a package of 10 SWA pretzels last for an entire flight, in order to keep his mask off? How does that not impact your "rights" and the rights of others nearby to have the flight be as safe as possible in the present covid environment? Perhaps that is why SWA changed from a can of water to a small cup of water plus ice, to minimize the time most reasonable passengers would be unmasked.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by m907
How about we adopt required rapid testing at the airport in exchange for dropping the mask requirement?

​​​​​
Not satisfactory. Rapid testing is by no means 100%. Its an addition to, not a replacement for, mask wearing. We all want to get back to a no-mask (or limited mask) world, but the more often that more people try to push the no mask agenda, the longer away that time becomes.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Not satisfactory. Rapid testing is by no means 100%. Its an addition to, not a replacement for, mask wearing. We all want to get back to a no-mask (or limited mask) world, but the more often that more people try to push the no mask agenda, the longer away that time becomes.
...and the longer people try to push their mask agenda, the longer the time that we have to wear them. There will always be dangerous diseases out there that may kill grandma. Leaving your house will always be a risk. The only thing certain in life are taxes and death.
kennycrudup and m907 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by pgh234
...and the longer people try to push their mask agenda, the longer the time that we have to wear them. There will always be dangerous diseases out there that may kill grandma. Leaving your house will always be a risk. The only thing certain in life are taxes and death.
Do you think that people are pushing the mask agenda because they really enjoy wearing masks and want everyone else to also enjoy it? Its a shame that common sense is no longer common, in some cases it seems almost extinct. If everyone in the USA had decided to wear masks initially, we would already be back to something at least closer to normal. Look for yourself... for one example, Google the covid death rate in Taiwan and the infection rate in Taiwan versus the death rate and infection rate in the USA. How do you account for the huge percentage differences? Do you really think that resisting the mask agenda has been worth that cost? There is one more thing just as certain as taxes and death... stupidity.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by m907

​​​​​
If that happens there should be a requirement that such testing be free of charge.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by pgh234
Then stop talking/writing and prove your scientific data, don't wear a mask at any time no matter the law. Fight the power! Go maskless on a plane or any other federal place or even private business that requires a mask. Stand up for your beliefs and stop cowering. Then post links to prove yourself going maskless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.