Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
That is fine. I respect your opinion.
I have said all along this is how to get out of the mask rule...

What if you end up near a passenger who appears to be sick (coughing, etc.)? Then would you put on your mask?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I have said all along this is how to get out of the mask rule...

What if you end up near a passenger who appears to be sick (coughing, etc.)? Then would you put on your mask?
No, because according to ‘the science’, a mask doesn’t prevent you from getting it.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
You're right and that's a big part of it -- we (wife and I) refuse to put our lives on hold forever and be held hostage to these silly rules. If there was some magic cure and it took 2 weeks for everyone to do something for it to all be over, we'd do it, but it doesn't work like that. Shutting down the economy again isn't an option. Wearing a mask forever isn't an option as it would take just one person for the whole thing to spring up again.

The best alternative is to live your life and if you want to get the vaccine in due time, go for it, but we aren't going to be held hostage forever due to your (others) fear over really big nothing burger for 99.9% of people.

Again, I respect others who choose to be fearful and if they don't want to go some place, that is fine. I don't feel the need to make fun of people who want to act like masks and shields are saving the world. I respect your personal decision to do what's best for you, just as others should respect those of us who will not succumb to an irrational fear and choose to live life. We don't want to be ones that look back and 20 years and be like 'God, can you remember 2020 -- we wasted an entire year living in fear and gave up all freedoms during that time. It's a year we'll never never get back'.

No, my wife and I will look back and say - gosh, we had such a great time making the best of a bad situation. We went out to eat every weekend without a mask, we traveled and saw the world, etc. It will be much more fulfilling when we look back on this.

Now, if I happen to be one of the unlucky ones who gets the Rona and bites the dust, it's okay - I enjoyed life and won't go around blaming everyone else like so many people like to do.
It’s amazing to see the self-admitted steps someone will take just to be belligerent. Or worse...dangerously belligerent. SMH.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:04 pm

Because the rules don't apply to him.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Would you like to see a WN shuttle to and from the port,Queen Mary and Downtown LGB?
You are obviously unfamiliar with WN, which is an airline, not a local shuttle service.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Thus, 1 in 6 seats occupied. This is not sustainable. Given that it may well be 2024 before wide-scale travel returns, either the USG has to simply support air carriers until then, prices are increased to account for enforced low loads, or people fly in unsafe conditions.
I am amazed at the thought that the government can just give gigantic amounts of borrowed money to every corporation, business, and person in the country, all the time, forever, and it’s cool.

Plus enforced rent/mortgage forbearance, etc. Are all landlords in the country entitled to be bailed out?

There is no way this is going to end well. We are gonna end up like Weimar Germany with wheelbarrows full of fake cash. And no business will be able to function. I guess I will need to learn to grow food.

While we sit alone in our basements, afraid to go anywhere, for a decade waiting for Fauci to let us out, because Science. Kill me now.

Good for my family and my giant 30-year mortgage we just took out, I guess. Will at least have a cheap comfortable spot to vegetate.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
@toomanybooks: FT is a bubble. I talk to my fellow travelers and more and more people are sick of it all and are getting pissed, not cowering further. There is hope.

(I'd share more about what I've been hearing- from many people across several states- but don't want to start getting this thread relegated to the PG.)
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
@toomanybooks: FT is a bubble. I talk to my fellow travelers and more and more people are sick of it all and are getting pissed, not cowering further. There is hope.

(I'd share more about what I've been hearing- from many people across several states- but don't want to start getting this thread relegated to the PG.)
The hope is that most people are finally realizing this is the real deal, and they have ZERO sympathy or patience with anyone who will not adhere to basic public health guidelines. I deal with the public every day in a health care setting, and I can assure you that people are indeed sick of it, but what they are sick of is the ignorance of many of their fellow humans, whether on SWA or passing them on the sidewalk.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
The hope is that most people are finally realizing this is the real deal ...
... yep, bubble.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I am amazed at the thought that the government can just give gigantic amounts of borrowed money to every corporation, business, and person in the country, all the time, forever, and it’s cool.

Plus enforced rent/mortgage forbearance, etc. Are all landlords in the country entitled to be bailed out?

There is no way this is going to end well. We are gonna end up like Weimar Germany with wheelbarrows full of fake cash. And no business will be able to function. I guess I will need to learn to grow food.

While we sit alone in our basements, afraid to go anywhere, for a decade waiting for Fauci to let us out, because Science. Kill me now.

Good for my family and my giant 30-year mortgage we just took out, I guess. Will at least have a cheap comfortable spot to vegetate.
Of the number of various things tax dollars fund, one function I have less issue with is keeping airlines afloat through an international crisis. (With limits of course.) Especially if you understand how things like the CARES act funding works. Yes, it's mostly free money, but Southwest will end up paying back about a third of what they received, and the bulk of it essentially functions as a form of unemployment -- paying employees to keep working vs paying them to not work once they're furloughed. I much prefer the former.

I'm a landlord. Yes, the situation is troublesome, especially for smaller property owners. But I support an eviction moratorium -- I have no problem not evicting my tenants during a global pandemic. I'd much rather keep my good tenants than have to look for new ones. I'm currently receiving a forbearance on my business loan, I've received small grants from Chicago through two different business assistance programs, and also a federal disaster relief grant & low-interest loan. Since my tenants are currently up to date on their payments (although that may change at any time) I'm actually in pretty good shape (unlike many, I know). While not a "bailout," there programs available for those that need help -- renters and landlords.

What got us to where we are today is primarily the lack of any sort of COVID action/mitigation plan on the federal level -- a huge national embarrassment (brought to you by a huge national embarrassment). Early on, this crisis could have been addressed, and (even if only nominally) contained before it got completely out of hand. But I fear that moment has long passed. That lack of a plan, combined with the (also unaddressed, nay propagated) wilful ignorance of many -- who seem to believe that ignoring the virus will somehow make it go away -- is what makes the US response stunningly shameful when compared to every other first world nation.

When someone says that they're "over it," I get it. Everyone is over it.

But when someone says they're over it and suggests that this somehow means the crisis is over -- that the virus and it's effects should just stop now, since they said so -- I really have to laugh. Because I want to cry.

Wishing it away won't make it go away. And pretending that everything is just "back to normal" is exactly what is prolonging the crisis, and is in fact what is keeping things from getting back to normal.
steved5480 and beachmouse like this.

Last edited by ursine1; Oct 27, 2020 at 6:57 pm
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
The hope is that most people are finally realizing this is the real deal, and they have ZERO sympathy or patience with anyone who will not adhere to basic public health guidelines. I deal with the public every day in a health care setting, and I can assure you that people are indeed sick of it, but what they are sick of is the ignorance of many of their fellow humans, whether on SWA or passing them on the sidewalk.
Hear, hear!

(Also, a question: On this forum, is there really no way to stop from seeing those who you've ignored, when they're quoted by someone else?)
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
What got us to where we are today is primarily the lack of any sort of COVID action/mitigation plan on the federal level
Let me guess- widespread mandated closures of businesses, hard national house-arrest or curfews, and a nationwide mask policy, likely with jail consequences? I'm glad we don't and if they try I hope we get more lawsuits like some states have done. Why punish low-risk places because of high-risk places? And for those about to say something like "South Korea", they're up again (as well as several other restrictive countries) despite all their restrictive measures. The world is just stuck with CV at this point- so maybe instead of punishing everyone, since we know know very well which groups are most-likely to die, why don't we actually protect the vulnerable by taking proactive measures for them first? Everything else is just hand-waving and window-dressing to get the punters to think we're "doing something".

"Cases" are not "deaths" and I'm glad to see the public is wising up to that, and recent events in the news are making that clear.

Originally Posted by ursine1
(Also, a question: On this forum, is there really no way to stop from seeing those who you've ignored, when they're quoted by someone else?)
Sorry, puddy tat- you're just gonna have be a grown-up and sometimes have to deal with seeing others' opinions! (Someone quote this so he can see it )
Old Nov 4, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Passengers deplaned for non mask wearing woman

https://www.wkrn.com/community/healt...-to-wear-mask/

Passengers were deplaned so that authorities could remove the woman who refused to leave the plane.

I just don’t understand some people.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:51 pm

If there's anything 2020 has taught us, it's that people are stupid.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And selfish.
bwallet, screeton, nivsy and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.