Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The contract of carriage is going to be written so that the airline has wide leeway to refuse to provide service as long as they provide a full and appropriate refund.
This could be grounds for an actual refund to original payment method (not just credit on future flight) with purchase of a non-refundable before the mask rule went into place, I'll give that much.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
The coronavirus is most deadly if you are older and male — new data reveal the risks ... A slew of detailed studies has now quantified the increased risk the virus poses to older people, men, and other groups.

The studies reveal that age is by far the strongest predictor of an infected person’s risk of dying — a metric known as the infection fatality ratio (IFR), which is the proportion of people infected with the virus, including those who didn’t get tested or show symptoms, who will die as a result
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....12.20173690v2

Last edited by kennycrudup; Aug 28, 2020 at 11:27 am Reason: Added graph
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:43 pm
Suspended

They should let the policy lapse. The airlines need to make money.

I flew 4 legs over the past few days and 3/4 were ‘Rona’ full.

Wouldn’t change my view one bit. If you are a scaredy-cat, don’t go anywhere. It’s that simple.

I just held a cup in my hand the whole time and didn’t wear a mask - life is okay folks. Go back to LIVING your lives.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy

Wouldn’t change my view one bit. If you are a scaredy-cat, don’t go anywhere. It’s that simple.

I just held a cup in my hand the whole time and didn’t wear a mask - life is okay folks. Go back to LIVING your lives.
I hope airlines make enough money to stay in business off of people like you. Because, along with packed airplanes, these are the things that are going to keep the majority of flyers away for a while.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

I am a "scaredy-cat" and I won't be flying whether they have open middles or not, mainly because of the stories I read about people like you.

If I have to drive 2,000 miles in a week, ( which I now regularly do ) then that is what I will do.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:55 am

Sorry, FriscoHeavy, but that's just bad. Whether you agree with it or not, mask wearing is required by WN. When you buy a ticket, you know that. Circumventing the rule is not cool and is unfair to your fellow passengers who also bought tickets based on the mask wearing rule.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zachary
Sorry, FriscoHeavy, but that's just bad. Whether you agree with it or not, mask wearing is required by WN. When you buy a ticket, you know that. Circumventing the rule is not cool and is unfair to your fellow passengers who also bought tickets based on the mask wearing rule.
Oh well, I'll be doing it again tomorrow. I don't subscribe to the nonsense. I have no issue if others want to wear one, or two, or a full hazmat suit -- that is their decision and I respect what others want to do. I won't go around scared for my life and wearing a mask the rest of my life, especially when I don't have the Rona. If I did have the rona, I wouldn't go out for a few days - that simple.

I look like an actor -- holding an empty coffee cup walking around, sitting down in my seat and such.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Airplanes are small enclosed tubes. Even with middle seats blocked you are breathing down someone's neck. That's just how it is. I don't really think blocking middle seats does much good, other than make people feel more comfortable. The business side of me hurts every time I think about an airline purposefully limiting their revenue by x%. It isn't sustainable. I also don't think the airlines can rely on the government to do anything and it's kind of selfish to use their employees as a bargaining chip ("We won't lay off employees if we get another stimulus package"). In my eyes it kind of takes responsibility away from airlines, when they have the power to increase revenue.

It's a shame this has become so politicized. I try and realize everyone is doing the best they can with the information they have. Just because someone isn't as concerned as you, doesn't mean they don't care about you. We are all in survival mode is many ways. Our lives have kind of been put on hold since March and that is a huge loss in many ways.
You're right and that's a big part of it -- we (wife and I) refuse to put our lives on hold forever and be held hostage to these silly rules. If there was some magic cure and it took 2 weeks for everyone to do something for it to all be over, we'd do it, but it doesn't work like that. Shutting down the economy again isn't an option. Wearing a mask forever isn't an option as it would take just one person for the whole thing to spring up again.

The best alternative is to live your life and if you want to get the vaccine in due time, go for it, but we aren't going to be held hostage forever due to your (others) fear over really big nothing burger for 99.9% of people.

Again, I respect others who choose to be fearful and if they don't want to go some place, that is fine. I don't feel the need to make fun of people who want to act like masks and shields are saving the world. I respect your personal decision to do what's best for you, just as others should respect those of us who will not succumb to an irrational fear and choose to live life. We don't want to be ones that look back and 20 years and be like 'God, can you remember 2020 -- we wasted an entire year living in fear and gave up all freedoms during that time. It's a year we'll never never get back'.

No, my wife and I will look back and say - gosh, we had such a great time making the best of a bad situation. We went out to eat every weekend without a mask, we traveled and saw the world, etc. It will be much more fulfilling when we look back on this.

Now, if I happen to be one of the unlucky ones who gets the Rona and bites the dust, it's okay - I enjoyed life and won't go around blaming everyone else like so many people like to do.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:39 am

Oh well, I'll be doing it again tomorrow. I don't subscribe to the nonsense. I have no issue if others want to wear one, or two, or a full hazmat suit -- that is their decision and I respect what others want to do. I won't go around scared for my life and wearing a mask the rest of my life, especially when I don't have the Rona. If I did have the rona, I wouldn't go out for a few days - that simple.

I look like an actor -- holding an empty coffee cup walking around, sitting down in my seat and such.
Respectfully, you're missing my point. I'm not arguing whether masks work or not. I'll stipulate that some people think they do, others think they don't, and even that we don't know for sure which group is correct. I'm not arguing whether WN should have a mask rule or not. My point is that people are buying tickets understanding that they and others on the plane will be wearing masks except for brief periods of time while eating and drinking. You know that, and you're intentionally circumventing the rule. I just think that's selfish and wrong.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

Respectfully, you're missing my point. I'm not arguing whether masks work or not. I'll stipulate that some people think they do, others think they don't, and even that we don't know for sure which group is correct. I'm not arguing whether WN should have a mask rule or not. My point is that people are buying tickets understanding that they and others on the plane will be wearing masks except for brief periods of time while eating and drinking. You know that, and you're intentionally circumventing the rule. I just think that's selfish and wrong.
That is fine. I respect your opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:49 am

That is fine. I respect your opinion.
And I'm pleased that we were able to have a respectful dialogue on the subject even if we disagree. Our society could use more of that.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

And I'm pleased that we were able to have a respectful dialogue on the subject even if we disagree. Our society could use more of that.
EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, those of us who want to live a normal life are made out to be villains by the 'the mask is the only solution' crowd and are nazis about it (like the flight attendant Tuesday).
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:01 am

EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, those of us who want to live a normal life are made out to be villains by the 'the mask is the only solution' crowd and are nazis about it (like the flight attendant Tuesday).
Can can you believe it? The gall of her! Enforcing a rule!

🙄
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If I did have the rona, I wouldn't go out for a few days - that simple.
If you did have the rona, half the time you wouldn't know it. Yet you could still spread it.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If you did have the rona, half the time you wouldn't know it. Yet you could still spread it.
Pretty hard to get if you have been at home for days and days -- remember, it's just science as everyone like to spew off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.