Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by screeton
Those with common sense will be guided by science and by what is happening in the world around them.
THIS quote is what I have been preaching about COVID on this page with you and your ilk for nearly a year now. The theater and draconian measures enacted because of COVID are not justified by common sense and the reality of the harm being inflected by these actions on most people.

It is similar to political arguments. Each side "knows" they are correct based on "common sense" and "science"...but perhaps the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. This is the area that we all used to reside in before social media and clickbate journalism.
kennycrudup and m907 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Back in the 1960s, in various activist movements, there was a saying... "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem." Its still true.
For all the anti-vaxxers, "we are overreacting" theorists, "my freedom first" fans, and others who think we should be at 100% normal now, never mind the consequences, a simple suggestion. Read the above quote, consider it, and then read again. Are you really sure which side of that equation you are embracing?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 3:25 am

For all the anti-vaxxers, "we are overreacting" theorists, "my freedom first" fans, and others who think we should be at 100% normal now, never mind the consequences, a simple suggestion. Read the above quote, consider it, and then read again. Are you really sure which side of that equation you are embracing?
What do you do for a living, @screeton?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I earned a 2021 companion pass before a horrific experience on a 2020 WN flight where flight attendants allowed passengers to not wear masks for an entire flight.

Asked if I could defer my 2021 CP to 2022, and was told no. United & Alaska now get 100% of my credit card spend, and with their newly friendly change policies much more of my business. Southwest needs to work to win be back!
It must've been so hard for you to die on that flight.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by rickg523; Mar 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I told you so. When the Federal Mask mandate came out I said that there would be exceptions.
I much prefer saying "If you're too disabled to prevent infecting others you should stay at home".
I'm glad I'm scheduled for my second injection tomorrow, I won't worry about the consequences nearly as much after a week or so.
Exactly! Too disabled, stay home. This is the message we should be sending. It's not like the disabled should be afforded any special protections or anything! Who do these people think they are? Hopefully we can get rid of that pesky ADA as well, so tired of having to accommodate these invalids at every turn, uggh!!!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Fake therapy dogs. now fake mask exemptions
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Agile_Bus
Exactly! Too disabled, stay home. This is the message we should be sending. It's not like the disabled should be afforded any special protections or anything! Who do these people think they are? Hopefully we can get rid of that pesky ADA as well, so tired of having to accommodate these invalids at every turn, uggh!!!
I'm not in favor of allowing anyone to potentially infect me or others.. Perhaps we should allow people from areas with ebola to board airplane as well.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not in favor of allowing anyone to potentially infect me or others.. Perhaps we should allow people from areas with ebola to board airplane as well.
In that case none of us should ever travel anywhere, ever again. "Potential Infection" from a myriad of illnesses has always been a risk, even before 2020 believe it or not. The vicious mentality towards the disabled of "oh well, too bad, not my problem" that has reared its ugly head in the past year is really something. Why does your demand to feel safe from something that COULD happen supersede the need of someone who is disabled and needs to travel? Hopefully you will never be in need of such an exemption.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
99% of the "therapy" dogs are fraud.....now all of the trumpers will get the "doc" to wrote a note that they dont need a mask... it will be anarchy ! I already suffered a flight delay as some moron refused o wear a mask after we left for the runway...we had to return to the gate where he was arrested and removed from the plane.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:08 pm

In that case none of us should ever travel anywhere, ever again. "Potential Infection" from a myriad of illnesses has always been a risk, even before 2020 believe it or not. The vicious mentality towards the disabled of "oh well, too bad, not my problem" that has reared its ugly head in the past year is really something. Why does your demand to feel safe from something that COULD happen supersede the need of someone who is disabled and needs to travel? Hopefully you will never be in need of such an exemption.
It is not toward the disabled.
I will not need an exemption because if I am unable to travel without endangering my fellow human beings on a plane I won't travel.

Can you name one well recognized condition which would prohibit someone from wearing a face mask? Can anyone? They are few and far between. Possibly nonexistent.

Have you observed how far people are willing to go to avoid a simple precaution?
  • A guy was killed for insisting people wear a mask to enter a store.
  • People have assaulted airline employees
  • Two men in Florida pretended to be Federal Marshals and actually threatened to arrest people for insisting they wear a mask until police with a read Federal Marshal showed up and arrested them
  • We will no doubt see far more fake doctors letters or some nut case quack writing real letters soon.
These are just the ones I can remember of off hands, there have also been ugly incidents onboard planes.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I think many (most?) people understand not everyone believes in the need for masks. And they may be right. BUT - I am not stupid enough to even begin an argument over the need, risks, statistics, etc.

BUT - the current belief in this country and around the world is that we need to do masks for the time being. (right or wrong). So, if that is what we are doing, then those that do not want to follow the "rules" should just step aside. Not much different than the requirement you wear shoes and are dressed. Many want to walk around naked, but that is not what we accept as the "norm". So, even if you have a medical reason that you can not wear shoes, etc - too bad. Same thing with seat belts. If you have some reason you can not wear one on the plane, then get off.

AGAIN - I am not trying to argue the value of wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask. Just pointing out what society is currently doing right now.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:19 am

Bad press from someone not wearing a mask on the plane is the #1 thing an airline wants to avoid right now. WN is wise to make the exemption very specific and still follow federal requirements. I expect WN will not be the first to stop requiring masks when the federal ban is lifted, no one wants that press either. Wonder which airline will be first to give in, AA?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Bad press from someone not wearing a mask on the plane is the #1 thing an airline wants to avoid right now. WN is wise to make the exemption very specific and still follow federal requirements. I expect WN will not be the first to stop requiring masks when the federal ban is lifted, no one wants that press either. Wonder which airline will be first to give in, AA?
I

I’ll take Spirit as the first one to lift mask rules.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:44 pm

Spirit will add a fee to not wear a mask.
nsx, kennycrudup and beachmouse like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.