Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
I've waitlisted a number of SIN-FRA (SQ 326) F Saver award flights for next march. I'm fairly flexible so I hope one of these will clear. Now booked in Saver J. Also waitlisted a number of FRA-JFK flights for next september / october, but I'll guess these will not clear. Booked in J now.

I will give an update if one of these flights will clear.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Best Strategy for Dealing with Waitlist?

Despite having had KF Gold for a couple of years, I've never taken an award flight on SQ. Given that my *G on SQ will likely end in Mid 2020, I'd like to try using my KF miles for an award while I still have status (and a hopefully better chance of being able to clear the waitlist).

However, my worry is that the waitlist won't clear before the 'fill or kill' date, so I'm wondering what the best strategy might be, out of the following:

1) Book in Y and then simply use points for the upgrade to J. If the waitlist doesn't clear, I still have a seat. Usually I wouldn't do this for most airlines (preferring to book straight J with miles) but the difference is that I regard Y in SQ as survivable for longhaul (and the list of airlines I can say that about is very short!).

2) Book in J and (assuming it's waitlisted) add an Advantage booking to cover me if the waitlist doesn't clear. At the moment I don't have enough miles in KF for an Advantage RT but an MR transfer would fix that. I'd have to pay the reinstatement fee but that's still better than the alternatives (using more miles or having no seat).

3) Book a fully flex Y fare and then cancel it if/when the waitlist clears. Again, I'd be paying more for peace of mind, but if the price difference is significant then this would make less sense than the options above.

If there are better ways then I'd be happy to hear them. Like I say, since I've never done a redemption on SQ I've never had to delve into the mechanics of how their waitlisting system works, so if my understanding of it is faulty then feel free to correct me on this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Despite having had KF Gold for a couple of years, I've never taken an award flight on SQ. Given that my *G on SQ will likely end in Mid 2020, I'd like to try using my KF miles for an award while I still have status (and a hopefully better chance of being able to clear the waitlist).

However, my worry is that the waitlist won't clear before the 'fill or kill' date, so I'm wondering what the best strategy might be, out of the following:

1) Book in Y and then simply use points for the upgrade to J. If the waitlist doesn't clear, I still have a seat. Usually I wouldn't do this for most airlines (preferring to book straight J with miles) but the difference is that I regard Y in SQ as survivable for longhaul (and the list of airlines I can say that about is very short!).

2) Book in J and (assuming it's waitlisted) add an Advantage booking to cover me if the waitlist doesn't clear. At the moment I don't have enough miles in KF for an Advantage RT but an MR transfer would fix that. I'd have to pay the reinstatement fee but that's still better than the alternatives (using more miles or having no seat).

3) Book a fully flex Y fare and then cancel it if/when the waitlist clears. Again, I'd be paying more for peace of mind, but if the price difference is significant then this would make less sense than the options above.

If there are better ways then I'd be happy to hear them. Like I say, since I've never done a redemption on SQ I've never had to delve into the mechanics of how their waitlisting system works, so if my understanding of it is faulty then feel free to correct me on this.
What is the route that you want to redeem?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
What is the route that you want to redeem?
Most likely ZRH-SIN, while the weather is still cold in N. Europe.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Most likely ZRH-SIN, while the weather is still cold in N. Europe.
Just random check in feb apr July sept n oct, there are many dates with business saver seat available for immediate confirmation for one pax for ZRH-SIN.

If you are able to plan ahead n be flexible with the travel date, then should be easy to get one saver seat.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jongesander
I've waitlisted a number of SIN-FRA (SQ 326) F Saver award flights for next march. I'm fairly flexible so I hope one of these will clear. Now booked in Saver J. Also waitlisted a number of FRA-JFK flights for next september / october, but I'll guess these will not clear. Booked in J now.

I will give an update if one of these flights will clear.
Today I received a couple of notification e-mails, 4 of my waitlisted SIN-FRA Flights get cleared.

Picked my favorite date and called. The first agent wanted to let me pay 55/K extra miles instead of 33/K. The reason was a it's a mixed cabin booking.

Called again a few minutes later and get charged the 33/K and 25 USD change fee. It's now still showing "Reserved", but I'll guess it will be ticketed soon.

Last edited by jongesander; Nov 20, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hillton Lifetime DM, Delta DM MM
Appeal vs. Chaser?

Hello,
I have a first class waitlisted for aug 2020 SIN-JFK with EF showing all seats available. I put in a chaser about 6 weeks ago with no luck. I then tried to put a chaser in again today and the phone agent said they tried to send but the system would not allow it. Is the rule only one chaser can be sent now? or do i just need to wait a long time period? Also, i see in this thread there is an "Appeal" listed in addition to a "Chaser". What/how is an Appeal different from a chaser? thanks for any info,
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:29 am

Anybody has real experience clearing First Class Suite for 3 people? I appreciate the feedback
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Airhanny
Anybody has real experience clearing First Class Suite for 3 people? I appreciate the feedback
Saw 3 saver first class suites available for PEK flight recently. HKG also have 3 savers first class suites for A380 in dec. (but then the plane might be the older suite).

For long haul, I think they clear max 2 saver initially n might release 1 or 2 later on if demand is low
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by tootalltraveler
Hello,
I have a first class waitlisted for aug 2020 SIN-JFK with EF showing all seats available. I put in a chaser about 6 weeks ago with no luck. I then tried to put a chaser in again today and the phone agent said they tried to send but the system would not allow it. Is the rule only one chaser can be sent now? or do i just need to wait a long time period? Also, i see in this thread there is an "Appeal" listed in addition to a "Chaser". What/how is an Appeal different from a chaser? thanks for any info,
Frankly speaking they won’t be releasing any seats right now. Most likely they will wait until around 2-3 months before departure to see the demands first.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:17 pm

Frankly speaking they won’t be releasing any seats right now. Most likely they will wait until around 2-3 months before departure to see the demands first.
My HND - SIN flight in F, SQ only opened up 2 saver F seats about 1 month out, with the F cabin completely empty. Just for reference as to when the savers might open up. My J savers for the same flight are still on waitlist though, but it is a no brainer to choose between J advantage (70k miles) and F saver (also 70k miles).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:27 pm

Also just an data point , check through August 2020. Almost everyday for SQ26 is F9A2. But there are few days whereby you can waitlist saver suite while can’t do so for many days (even it is F9A2 for all these days) So the seat availability is not a good indicator for saver award.

Everyday there is advantage award for immediate confirmation though. SQ will be hoping for pax to redeem the advantage award right now.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:53 pm
ds1

I was able to book an Advantage award for an upcoming flight (SQ32/33) but am currently still waitlisted for a few Saver awards on the same flight. If by chance the Saver awards do clear, would I be able to request a refund on my Advantage award to book the Saver?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:54 pm

There are rumors that the A380 will be pulled from JFK from winter 2020, replaced by the 777-300ER. N SQ will start direct SIN-JFK using the ULR A350.

we shall wait n see
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

There are rumors that the A380 will be pulled from JFK from winter 2020, replaced by the 777-300ER. N SQ will start direct SIN-JFK using the ULR A350.

we shall wait n see
Seems plausible. I've been trying to redeem JFK-SIN in suites and about a month ago, SQ pulled all of the saver availability for the entire schedule. There's not a single day available through the end of the schedule. Although, interestingly, there I can find saver suites on JFK-FRA / return in May/June/July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.