Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:18 am

I was trying to wait list 3 pax SIN-SYD in saver J through the website. Tried on first date and successfully waitlisted. Tried on second date but the website kept saying "cannot do that right now, try again or call customer service". Hence I thought the website was refreshing its backend system... did multiple tries throughout the day to no avail.

Finally decided to call SQ to find out what was going on. CS asked what was the message shown on screen. When I told her the message, she admitted that it wasn't explanatory. So she tried to waitlist for me. Only then she understood why. On my chosen flight the maximum waitlist allowed was for 2 pax only, after which waitlist was closed. All she could do was shrug and admit that the website doesn't properly refresh according to the backend system... a known problem apparently.

SQ IT is really terrible. Just like when you search for redemption flights on the website and if nothing is available for your chosen date, it defaults to the home screen with no explanation!!
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: KF
mind you. I was looking for award space and website shows waitlisted. I called since I didnt recieve a waitlist confirmation on my account. Then the agent said, no its not waitlist, its available, would you like me to confirm now? I said, , maybe I can do it myself (since Im infront of pc), but I said, well, its waitlist here, and she said, well, its available here. Then finally, i just said, confirm it pronto.. Yeah, the works SQ IT system indeed.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by wanderer9020
mind you. I was looking for award space and website shows waitlisted. I called since I didnt recieve a waitlist confirmation on my account. Then the agent said, no its not waitlist, its available, would you like me to confirm now? I said, , maybe I can do it myself (since Im infront of pc), but I said, well, its waitlist here, and she said, well, its available here. Then finally, i just said, confirm it pronto.. Yeah, the works SQ IT system indeed.
Wow this does change the game. So for every flight shown as waitlistable on the website, we must call SQ just to double confirm that it is not outright available?!
Old May 22, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Yes, SQ's IT system is known to show you that waitlisting is possible as long as there's at least 1 seat available for waitlisting. Only when clicking through then do you realise that your desired number of seats isn't available. It is annoying. I wonder why they cannot update their IT system.

I have had, once or twice, click on a waitlisted flight only to be brought to a confirmation page which was a pleasant surprise. So it happens the other way around as well.

There have also been times where the phone agents saw 0 availability while the website allowed me to waitlist flights.

Permutations and combinations.....
Old May 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not exactly a question on waitlisting. Am not sure if there's another thread suitable. The question is - I see availability for 2 tickets in J. But I have miles split between me and my wife. Is there a possibility that it might turn into waitlist after I book the first ticket but before the second? Am worried that I'd end up with one waitlisted ticket.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by spk307
Not exactly a question on waitlisting. Am not sure if there's another thread suitable. The question is - I see availability for 2 tickets in J. But I have miles split between me and my wife. Is there a possibility that it might turn into waitlist after I book the first ticket but before the second? Am worried that I'd end up with one waitlisted ticket.
When you say split are they split with enough miles in each account to purchase J? Yes, they will possibly disappear so call them and book it. That's what I did.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
When you say split are they split with enough miles in each account to purchase J? Yes, they will possibly disappear so call them and book it. That's what I did.
thanks, yes, we have enough miles to buy one J ticket in each account.
How do you tell them to use miles from another account? Give them my wife's KF account number? Or does she have to call them separately?
Old May 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Why aren't you just concurrently booking the ticket online?
Old May 30, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
Why aren't you just concurrently booking the ticket online?
for some airline programs (Not necessarily KF), if you book just one ticket out of 2 available, the second ticket disappears (or gets held back for a few weeks)

i guess this is what OP is trying to avoid happen.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
for some airline programs (Not necessarily KF), if you book just one ticket out of 2 available, the second ticket disappears (or gets held back for a few weeks)
Definitely for KrisFlyer. This is a very well known issue, one of many mind you, in SQ's IT systems.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:40 am

I got ticketed for a saver award.
Due to some reasons, i need to make the trip earlier.

The period I am looking at now does not have ready availability for booking, but there is waitlist. I wish to waitlist or multiple dates in that period to make sure I can a chance (exact date of departure is flexible).

Unfortunately I do not have enough miles to waitlist. I can call in to waitlist but there appears to be limit in the 'willingness' to waitlist me on multiple dates (could only waitlist 2 - i wanted to waitlist 6 more).

Any advice?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Phaze
Definitely for KrisFlyer. This is a very well known issue, one of many mind you, in SQ's IT systems.
My worst fears came true! Wanted to block those seats desperately even before i reached home and tried booking them on mobile app. While reaching the seating plan screen, the app froze! tried various ways to go back to the app, but in vain. Finally had to close the app and restarted it - alas, it got waitlisted!

Called up and was confirmed that it was indeed waitlisted. I had to accept a booking two weeks from the expected date of travel. Ticketed them so that i dont lose those as well. Now have to check every day to see if someone cancels their ticket around my expected date. God, please give me patience!
Old May 31, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by spk307
My worst fears came true! Wanted to block those seats desperately even before i reached home and tried booking them on mobile app. While reaching the seating plan screen, the app froze! tried various ways to go back to the app, but in vain. Finally had to close the app and restarted it - alas, it got waitlisted!

Called up and was confirmed that it was indeed waitlisted. I had to accept a booking two weeks from the expected date of travel. Ticketed them so that i dont lose those as well. Now have to check every day to see if someone cancels their ticket around my expected date. God, please give me patience!
If you have managed to get to seat selection page, might be you that are blocking the seats...

Call in and ask them to send chaser. It does help most time.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:40 am

When to give up?

In January, I waitlisted a flight from SFO to HKG (F) on Thanksgiving. (I know.)

In February, I booked a coach flight on the same plane as a backup.

In March, in anticipation of the increase in points required, I sent an email asking about it. In the reply, they told me "We have forwarded a request to the relevant department for assistance to be rendered on your waitlisted flight."

Is this the infamous "chaser" I keep hearing about? Is there any point in requesting another one?

When should I assume I'm not going to get this flight? (Obviously I have six months, but I'd consider changing plans if I determine I'm unlikely to clear.)

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Still_Waiting
In January, I waitlisted a flight from SFO to HKG (F) on Thanksgiving. (I know.)

In February, I booked a coach flight on the same plane as a backup.

In March, in anticipation of the increase in points required, I sent an email asking about it. In the reply, they told me "We have forwarded a request to the relevant department for assistance to be rendered on your waitlisted flight."

Is this the infamous "chaser" I keep hearing about? Is there any point in requesting another one?

When should I assume I'm not going to get this flight? (Obviously I have six months, but I'd consider changing plans if I determine I'm unlikely to clear.)

Any thoughts appreciated.
They could award you the flight the week before your trip.

My Tokyo flight got awarded to be about 10 days before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.