Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: LH FTL, QR Gold, EK Silver, Etihad Silver
So my story of rebooking flight due to aircraft swap is as follows:

I had a QR award booking Berlin - Doha - Chicago.
5 days before the trip, they swapped aircraft on Berlin- Doha route, so I thought about changing the ticket to a morning flight from Warsaw.
So I called:
- Doha main call centre - fairly nice agent, no help ("no availability")
- USA call center - the agent couldn't be more bothered with my call... I had a feeling like I interrupted someone's meal... ("noooo... I don't know... you have to email Qatar...")
- emailing the QR - got a quick response within an hour, with a big NO and also they wrote I have a Qsuite on the Berlin leg - which was obviously not there anymore...
- so I called the Australian/Indian number - super friendly, helpful, professional agent. Told me that as it is an award ticket, she needs approval from another department and she is willing to change it for me.
Asked me to call few hours later. So instead of calling Australia, I called the Polish number - a super nice lady told me the change was approved and changed my ticket on the spot, so am flying out from Warsaw.
And thanx to that, I'll be able to spend an afternoon in Doha, meet friends, booked a hotel through Qatar Stopovers, will go to the airport early enough to pay for an entrance to Al Safwa - I know
there'll be no alcohol, but at least I'll get to see the place and maybe eat something good ;-)

So as the information on the forum stated - only the Australian number worked ;-)
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by piotrger
So my story of rebooking flight due to aircraft swap is as follows:

I had a QR award booking Berlin - Doha - Chicago.
5 days before the trip, they swapped aircraft on Berlin- Doha route, so I thought about changing the ticket to a morning flight from Warsaw.
So I called:
- Doha main call centre - fairly nice agent, no help ("no availability")
- USA call center - the agent couldn't be more bothered with my call... I had a feeling like I interrupted someone's meal... ("noooo... I don't know... you have to email Qatar...")
- emailing the QR - got a quick response within an hour, with a big NO and also they wrote I have a Qsuite on the Berlin leg - which was obviously not there anymore...
- so I called the Australian/Indian number - super friendly, helpful, professional agent. Told me that as it is an award ticket, she needs approval from another department and she is willing to change it for me.
Asked me to call few hours later. So instead of calling Australia, I called the Polish number - a super nice lady told me the change was approved and changed my ticket on the spot, so am flying out from Warsaw.
And thanx to that, I'll be able to spend an afternoon in Doha, meet friends, booked a hotel through Qatar Stopovers, will go to the airport early enough to pay for an entrance to Al Safwa - I know
there'll be no alcohol, but at least I'll get to see the place and maybe eat something good ;-)

So as the information on the forum stated - only the Australian number worked ;-)
what a hassle!

Hope you have a great trip.
piotrger likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: WH Globalist,QR Plat,UA Plat,HH Diamond,Bonvey Titanium,MGM Noir,BW Dimond Sel,IHG Ambassador
Hey, a newbie question, I reached platinum and have accumulated some qmiles so tried to redeem it for first time, however, when I searched online, there is no first class availability across all dates(before departure or far advanced dates). I checked the routes like cdg to doh, or CAN to DOH. How do you use the website to redeem the miles.

Also the multiple dates option didn't work for me, which showed only grid but no information on availability. I thought it's IT system bug... Do we need to use particular browser for Qatar website? I use Chrome on Mac, not sure if it's an issue...

i did some research and seems people complain a lot. Agents can't make phone booking. But not sure about the latest data point.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ctozlm
Hey, a newbie question, I reached platinum and have accumulated some qmiles so tried to redeem it for first time, however, when I searched online, there is no first class availability across all dates(before departure or far advanced dates). I checked the routes like cdg to doh, or CAN to DOH. How do you use the website to redeem the miles.

Also the multiple dates option didn't work for me, which showed only grid but no information on availability. I thought it's IT system bug... Do we need to use particular browser for Qatar website? I use Chrome on Mac, not sure if it's an issue...

i did some research and seems people complain a lot. Agents can't make phone booking. But not sure about the latest data point.
QR are stingy with F reward availability - there was a period a while ago where there was just none at all. What’s shown online should be what’s available. FRA seems to be the only route you can reliably find availability currently as QR opened up two seats on every flight after they switched the route to A380 and a lot of this is still around. Note that QR’s website is a bit temperamental and something odd seems to happen sometimes with cookies where seats disappear the second time you try to search the same routes / dates, so bear this in mind if the seats you saw previously magically disappeared (and either clear your cache or try a different browser).

Technically QR claim to show different availability to different levels of QRPC but I’m not sure how this works in practice
ctozlm likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:47 am

Oh also, one other thing to bear in mind is QR does use married segment logic so if you search for CDG - HKG you will sometimes see availability you can’t see by searching for CDG-DOH and DOH-HKG separately.

I wonder if there is some sort of redemption policy change coming generally - a few days ago I saw Qx2 seat availability on a LHR-DOH sector in F which technically is not possible currently! (Could have been an IT glitch, I suppose).
Old May 5, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: WH Globalist,QR Plat,UA Plat,HH Diamond,Bonvey Titanium,MGM Noir,BW Dimond Sel,IHG Ambassador
Talking

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Oh also, one other thing to bear in mind is QR does use married segment logic so if you search for CDG - HKG you will sometimes see availability you can’t see by searching for CDG-DOH and DOH-HKG separately.

I wonder if there is some sort of redemption policy change coming generally - a few days ago I saw Qx2 seat availability on a LHR-DOH sector in F which technically is not possible currently! (Could have been an IT glitch, I suppose).

Wow. Thanks for the information. The data point is super helpful since I am always struggling to diagnose where the problem is.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Qatar Privilege Gold
Qatar lounge access

I am gold card on Qatar and usually fly business class but discovered that with a recent economy ticket I could only use the oryx lounge ! Furthermore my 4 guest passes are only available for oryx longe only. These are worthless so called freebies. I entered the oryx lounge, took one look and walked back out without ordering anything. It is an overcrowded lounge serving crap to the greedy passengers of this world who pile up their plates because they think we have to make the most of this.
Qatar have wonderful food and wine in business class but their Doha lounge choice for frequent flyers like me is an insult. I have started using Oman Air and stop overs at Muscat to enjoy their lounge facilities .
NoY likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Lexicycle
I am gold card on Qatar and usually fly business class but discovered that with a recent economy ticket I could only use the oryx lounge ! Furthermore my 4 guest passes are only available for oryx longe only. These are worthless so called freebies. I entered the oryx lounge, took one look and walked back out without ordering anything. It is an overcrowded lounge serving crap to the greedy passengers of this world who pile up their plates because they think we have to make the most of this.
Qatar have wonderful food and wine in business class but their Doha lounge choice for frequent flyers like me is an insult. I have started using Oman Air and stop overs at Muscat to enjoy their lounge facilities .
This is not new & has been the case since day 1 of the opening of QR lounges in both the old airport & HIA. If you want access to QR business class lounges, fly business class or pay the entry fee to Al Mourjan (assuming your Y ticket permits it).

I wish you luck with Oman Air, goodbye.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Hi all,

First time Qatar flyer, did a bit of research and booked a flight in July from Singapore to Amsterdam via Doha.
It seems I have Q Suites on all 4 sectors... that is a nice bonus.

As a OW Emerald it seems however there is no additional benefit besides 20K additional weight allowance.
There is no F check-in in Singapore or AMS, and maybe there is priority boarding but not expecting anything beyond J Priority.
The OWE lounge in Doha seems worse than the Al Mourjan lounge which I have access to on the account I fly Business.

I have a 7.45 hour stopover in Doha on both sectors. Both are between midnight and 7am.
I checked the Transit Oryx hotel, but at 300 USD that seems a bit rich for 7 hours.

So, the question to the experts..
Any Benefits I have overlooked for a J Pax with OWE?
How is the Al Safwa Lounge between midnight and 7am? is it worth paying up? (If the champagne is better I will be easily convinced)
Will there be (fresh) food and drinks served overnight?
There seem to be sleeper rooms, but by the time I get there I would guess they are booked up.

Thanks,
Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; May 5, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Globalist
If the champagne is better I will be easily convinced
It is. Veuve LGD.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It is. Veuve LGD.
And they serve it warm?
Any hints on my other points, or did I get it right?

Thanks!
Globalist
Old May 6, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
And they serve it warm?
Any hints on my other points, or did I get it right?

Thanks!
Globalist
Quite the opposite, it’s very much overchilled at first normally! Better than too warm, however, as you just need to be a little bit patient.

Correct on your other points, if your main objective is to secure status benefits then a QR premium cabin is not the best choice.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:05 am

Oh and I’ve never been denied a sleeping room in many journeys, but haven’t been to Al Safwa since the paid access started so not sure if they are perhaps in more demand now.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It is. Veuve LGD.
Quite the opposite, it’s very much overchilled at first normally!
Exactly as I like it!!
Old May 6, 2019, 9:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks all

Quite the opposite, it’s very much overchilled at first normally! Better than too warm, however, as you just need to be a little bit patient.

Exactly as I like it!!
Same, cold is best.. some reports in the Al Safwa Lounge thread mentioned it was warm.. that would be bad...

Correct on your other points, if your main objective is to secure status benefits then a QR premium cabin is not the best choice.
At least earning nearly double the TP compared to a more expensive BA flight helps There is always a silver lining plus I really like to try their Q suite. It seems way more interesting that BA Club World.

Oh and I’ve never been denied a sleeping room in many journeys, but haven’t been to Al Safwa since the paid access started so not sure if they are perhaps in more demand now.
I am seriously considering to buy up to Al Safwa for my 7h overnight stopovers. If a room is available, good.. if not then the champagne consumption might increase.

Do they take credit card for payment or cash?
(I found the answer in another thread, they take cards)

Thanks all for the feedback.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; May 7, 2019 at 7:25 pm Reason: found the answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.