Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Combining Baggage

I'm soon going to be flying RJ/BA to LHR. On BA I'm allowed 3 pieces but on RJ only 2. So I was wondering if it would work to wrap a bag and a box (3rd piece is a box not a bag) to combine to one in order to have only two pieces? The weight is not a lot - all pieces probably under 30 kgs.
Can this be done os is it a bonkers idea?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by webstereo
I'm soon going to be flying RJ/BA to LHR. On BA I'm allowed 3 pieces but on RJ only 2. So I was wondering if it would work to wrap a bag and a box (3rd piece is a box not a bag) to combine to one in order to have only two pieces? The weight is not a lot - all pieces probably under 30 kgs.
Can this be done os is it a bonkers idea?
You posted in the Qatar Airways forum, which might not be the best place to get an answer, since the question does not relate to QR.

Are you on one ticket, which airline did you buy it from, and which one do you fly first. A bit more details will make it easier to answer your questions in terms of luggage allowance.

But, as long as your wrapping them together does not make them over size, it could probably work. Also, I would avoid it as well if it gets quite odd shaped. Too many extra opportunities to get caught in the luggage handling systems.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:40 am

webstereo since you are BAEC gold (= Oneworld emerald) you are entitled to an extra 20 kg/one piece over and above the allowance stated on your E-ticket on ANY Oneworld flight. (Both BA and RJ are Oneworld members.)
Are your flights on one or two separate tickets (PNR)?.
If it is onethen the baggage rules of the first flight to cross the Middle East/Europe sub-area boundry that determines your baggage allowance. Look at checked-baggage-allowance for some details of multi carrier journeys.

Remember that your OW weight/piece bonus is in addition to what is stated on your ticket.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:30 pm

Yeah, sorry about posting in a QR forum - My mistake. Feel free to move it - I have no idea how I'm afraid.
One ticket but it does specifically say on the RJ portion that it's 2 pieces and three on the BA portion. So I get one bag in addition to that? I thought Gold just meant three on BA - you seem to be saying I could take 4 on BA?
The ticket actually says something like some airlines baggage rules are different - but if you are right in saying that there is an additional one piece above what the ticket says then I guess I should be ok.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yeah, sorry about posting in a QR forum - My mistake. Feel free to move it - I have no idea how I'm afraid.
One ticket but it does specifically say on the RJ portion that it's 2 pieces and three on the BA portion. So I get one bag in addition to that? I thought Gold just meant three on BA - you seem to be saying I could take 4 on BA?
The ticket actually says something like some airlines baggage rules are different - but if you are right in saying that there is an additional one piece above what the ticket says then I guess I should be ok.
I am guessing you are in business class.... The three pieces in BA would indicate that. I assume that is the case for RJ as well. If yes, your base allowance would be two, and BA shows added for Gold status, and RJ does not. But RJ will offer increased allowance as per standard OWE benefits.

Where did you book this ticket from? BA, RJ, or a travel agent?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:27 pm

Online via BA and yes business al the way
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Online via BA and yes business al the way
OK so your base allowance is 2 pieces on each flight, OWE gives you one extra. Be aware that for RJ only one piece can weight 32kg, the two others 23kg each.

BA just don't show the RJ flight with the OWE benefit added. And the base allowance is different, BA is 2*32 kg, RJ is 1*32 + 1*23 kg.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:57 pm

webstereo your baggage allowance is governed by IATA resolution 302 and there is nothing that BA and RJ can do about it.
For there to be two sets of baggage allowances there must be something about your journies that require them.
1___ Your allowance can vary between your outward and your return journey due to IATAs boundary rules and/or different carriers.
2___ If you have a stopover of more than 6+ hour (varies from carrier to carrier) then your journey may be regarded as two separate journeys and your allowance will be calculated separately for both journeys.
The above are just two of the many possible reasons.

CPH-Flyer and I are trying to give you a usable reply to your problem but lack of basic information, such as flight numbers, dates and times make it nearly impossible.

Please remember that you have the OW bonus allowance in addition to the allowance on your ticket
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
webstereo your baggage allowance is governed by IATA resolution 302 and there is nothing that BA and RJ can do about it.
Whoa, there! IATA Res. 302 just says which carrier's limits apply in different situations. Importantly, it doesn't 1) limit the weight or number of pieces, leaving those to each carrier to determine, 2) mandate rigid adherence to the rules, or 3) say anything about alliances or any additional allowance based on alliance elite status. In case you want to read it, here it is, as posted on the ANA website: IATA Res. 302.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:51 am

Thanks all for your help.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:42 pm

List of Q Suite flights

I don’t suppose a definitive list of flight numbers with Q Suites exist. (Google doesn’t years helpful results) I understand I can check by booking but it seems I cannot do that check until the booking is actually complete. Or do I have that wrong?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Some
I don’t suppose a definitive list of flight numbers with Q Suites exist. (Google doesn’t years helpful results) I understand I can check by booking but it seems I cannot do that check until the booking is actually complete. Or do I have that wrong?
Expertflyer is probably the best way to check, otherwise yes, the QR website does not show you a seat map before booking. Part of the reason there isn’t a ‘definitive’ list of Qsuites flight numbers is probably because it changes almost monthly, particularly on routes with multiple flights per day. Best chance of getting one seems to be to choose a premium, ULH destination with ideally only one flight per day (e.g. some US and AUS destinations or HND).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Best chance of getting one seems to be to choose a premium, ULH destination with ideally only one flight per day (e.g. some US and AUS destinations or HND).
I believe that all 77L aircraft have now been converted, so that means LAX.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I believe that all 77L aircraft have now been converted, so that means LAX.
I thought there were still two that haven't yet been changed? Nevertheless, QR will no doubt try to avoid using these on routes like LAX but in theory it could happen.

There are basically two layers of Qsuites uncertainty the way I see it. Number one is will they completely switch the aircraft type in the schedule to a different one without Qsuites - this typically happens further out and is the main risk on e.g. BKK or LHR where there are many rotations and QR like to vary the capacity frequently, but you can avoid this by choosing a route which is consistently 777 or A350. The second is will they switch the type of aircraft from a Qsuites to non-Qsuites equipped version of a 777 or A350, which is more difficult to mitigate and can happen at the last minute, it typically hits routes like HKG where it's easy for QR to switch to a non-Qsuites equipped 777 at the last minute.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Nevertheless, QR will no doubt try to avoid using these on routes like LAX ....
What makes you think that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.