Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. On 7/28 my wife and I are flying BOS-DOH-DPS, hopefully in the QSuites, We have a 14 hour layover in DOH and were offered a free hotel room which I accepted. Does this make sense? How long to clear customs twice? Also I'm not sure how far and long it takes to get to and from the hotel. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I will have checked bags
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fish3d; Jul 16, 2019 at 1:11 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

fish3d what you are describing is known as STPC and there is a thread STPC which should answer many questions.
Note that you will not be allowed to reclaim your luggage (checked bags) in DOH so you will only have hand baggage to take through customs. There is a total ban on importing alcohol, and some suggest Pork products, into Qatar and failure to observe this could delay you considerably.
You should report to the STPC transfer desk to get your vouchers for hotel, transport and possibly a visa and meal tickets. This is located together with other transit desks just before arrivals and transitting passengers are separated prior to transit security. Some on this forum claim that they were at the hotel within an hour of landing whilst others have mentioned two hours. A lot depends on transport availability. You should be told at the hotel when return transport will be.

Do take a look at the dashboard element about-doh-airport since there is much very useful information available there in a structured manner.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:09 pm

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:09 pm

Will the longer range planes end up hurting QR (and other ME3) as there's no longer a need to stop in Doha and you could bypass and go direct to your final destination?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Dn10
Will the longer range planes end up hurting QR (and other ME3) as there's no longer a need to stop in Doha and you could bypass and go direct to your final destination?
For a lot of their destinations there is no need to stop in Doha. The possibility to fly directly London Perth, and probably before too long London Sydney, may cut some connecting traffic through Doha from London. But for the rest of the European cities, a connection is still need. The question will then become who has the better connection, London or Doha?

A second factor is price, a lot of passengers fly Europe to Tokto via Doha. Despite there being direct flights, and Doha is a massive detour. But the prices are attractive.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Dn10
No. Most outstations don't have the passenger numbers to support a direct flight. eg, for me, the EDI flight to DOH will carry passengers whose destinations are in Australia, Singapore, Thailand, China, India, Pakistan etc as well as a few to the Middle East. No way to economically replace these with multiple new planes.

For the few stations that could support a direct flight, eg LHR, if it's worthwhile it probably already exists on another airline so indirect alternatives will continue to operate as they do today.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL , HH Gold, UA Plat
Hi all- Does anyone have experience with checking in or transferring at HKG? I am flying on the 19:10 PM flight this Sunday. I arrive on CX from India earlier that day and will have them interline my baggage. My issue is that for some reason QR is saying "check in at airport" Does anyone know if there are checkin kiosks at HKG and if they operate all day? I just need my BP so I can get through security and into the lounges!
TIA
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by James31
Hi all- Does anyone have experience with checking in or transferring at HKG? I am flying on the 19:10 PM flight this Sunday. I arrive on CX from India earlier that day and will have them interline my baggage. My issue is that for some reason QR is saying "check in at airport" Does anyone know if there are checkin kiosks at HKG and if they operate all day? I just need my BP so I can get through security and into the lounges!
When you checkin with CX in India, ask if they'll issue the QR boarding pass. If not, go to the nearest transfer desks on the arrivals level at HKG. There will be someone from QR (or contract worker manning the QR desk) who will issue the boarding pass. The transfer desks are really one long desk. Just look fro the QR sign.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:28 pm

Hello,
I have a 19 hour layover arriving in the early afternoon. I was considering entering Doha for sightseeing and to stay in a hotel and I wanted to check what the policy is regarding baggage check-through. I would probably prefer to have my baggage checked through in this case.
It is just one stop in DOH on two QR operated flights; a single, one-way itinerary / ticket.
Thank you
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dj903jd
Hello,
I have a 19 hour layover arriving in the early afternoon. I was considering entering Doha for sightseeing and to stay in a hotel and I wanted to check what the policy is regarding baggage check-through. I would probably prefer to have my baggage checked through in this case.
It is just one stop in DOH on two QR operated flights; a single, one-way itinerary / ticket.
Thank you
Your bags will be checked through.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
QR CHICAGO TICKET COUNTER CHECK-IN HOURS:

Hi, I did a forum search and found some information, but looking to just confirm what I dug up. Flying ORD to DOH @ 18:50 in biz on 9/4/19. Would like to check-in and drop my bags about 15:00 in order to give me time to dash over to the Flagship Lounge in terminal 3.
Does the QR ORD ticket counter still open the business class line 4 hours before departure? If not, anyone have experience recently on their operating time? And, I'll take the train to terminal 3 and clear security there. Does the OW T3-T5 shuttle still operate for those that have a T5 carrier boarding pass?
Trying to avoid the poor club choices in T5. Thanks for any help.
Cheers!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:55 am

This is regarding Qcredits - what happens with unused Qcredits I got when attaining Gold status if I upgrade to Platinum (in the same 12 months) - is it possible to hold 40 Gold and 60 Plat credits for a total of 100 at the same time (of course, having in mind that they have a different expiry date)?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by meelosh
This is regarding Qcredits - what happens with unused Qcredits I got when attaining Gold status if I upgrade to Platinum (in the same 12 months) - is it possible to hold 40 Gold and 60 Plat credits for a total of 100 at the same time (of course, having in mind that they have a different expiry date)?
YES!

been there, done that ...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Hoping this might be the place to help answer a question. I fly on Qatar internationally for work, and have been upgraded several times to business at check in. However, it does not happen consistently - sometimes it does when I don't expect it and other times it doesn't when I do think it will happen.

As an example, I recently flew from Atlanta to Dhaka through Doha on an economy ticket with an N fare class both legs on the outbound trip. The leg from Doha to Dhaka, I was upgraded to business, but there were other empty business seats (so how does my N-fare class get upgraded?) On my return flight, I was upgraded on the Doha to Atlanta leg on a B-fare class economy ticket. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for when upgrades are automatically triggered - does anyone have any insight?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:11 pm

Dan Schimmel welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the QR forum.
You should find the QR dashboard a useful tool for finding information.
There are no automatic upgades on QR. But if the Y cabin is full, or almost full, then some passengers may be upgraded to J for operational reasons. Who is upgraded often seems random but it does appear that OW and PC status members are more frequently upgraded than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.