Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Baggage Allowance

What is Checked baggage?
Checked baggage is any baggage that you wish to take on a journey that is not classified as hand or cabin luggage. It is delivered to the airline at the start of the journey, it is carried in the hold of the aircraft. and you have no access to it until your final destination. Some airline permit access to your baggage if you have an overnight transfer on your journey. Except in very, very exceptional circumstances QR does not allow access.

What are the rules and regulations for baggage?
For health and safety reasons no piece of baggage may exceed 32kgs. The only exception is previously notified essential medical equipment.
IATA have established a set of rules for baggage handling IATA Resolution 302. See http://www.lidot.lv/engine/client/co...abefb59248.pdf the original resolution and http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...ier-rules.html for changes made 1 April 2015.

How much baggage may I check in?
There are two different concepts used for baggage:
Piece: where you may have a maximum number of pieces of baggage (Suitcases).
And
Weight: where you may have a maximum total weight of baggage.

What are the allowances?

1 Flights to and from Brazil;
___F, J and Y: 2 pieces max. 32kgs each, max dimensions 158cm.
2 Flights between Brazil and Argentina
___F and J: 2 pieces max. 32kgs each, max. dimensions 158cm.
___Y: 2 pieces max. 23kgs each, max. dimensions 158cm.
3 All other flights to and from Argentina, Canada, and the U.S.
4 Flights between Doha and Casablanca
___F and J: 60kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___Y: 45kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
5 Itineraries originating from Africa
___F and J: 65kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
6 Flights to and from all other destinations
___F: 50kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___J: 40kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___Y: 30kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
See http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.page for details in lbs and inches.
Maximum dimension = length + width + height
Note that rule 5 is valid to and from Africa but only if the first flight of the reservation originates in Africa.

Which rule applies to my trip?
Several of the above rules could apply to you so how do you find the right one?
Start at 1 and ask if this rule applies to all or part of my journey. If it does you have your basic baggage allowance.
If not continue to 2 etc. until you find one that applies. This will be your basic baggage allowance.
Once you have found it go no further down the list.
There is a flaw in my logic with rules 1 and 2. I think that they should read Flights to and from Brazil except Argentina. and Flights between Brazil and Argentina only and the flaw is gone!

For example:
CPT-DOH- SYD or BKK or DXB or LHR Rule 5 would apply.
CAS-DOH-JFK rule 3 would apply
CPT-DOH-GRU rule 1 would apply.

That was the basic allowance for journeys on QR only. Now it gets complicated.

I have a codeshare flight does this affect my allowance?

IATA have a term 'Most Significant Carrier' or MSC.
IATA also differentiate between the 'Operating Carrier' and the 'Marketing Carrier'
The Operating Carrier is the airline that supplies the aircraft and flies the flight.
The Marketing Carrier is the airline who 'sold' the ticket, either directly or via a TA, and whose flight number appears on your itinerary.
According to IATA the world is divided into 3 Areas each of which consist of a number of sub-areas and each sub-area contains a number of countries. http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage-most-significant-carrier

Look at your itinerary and find the first flight that crosses an Area boundary. This is your MSC. Remember it is the Marketing Carrier, as shown on your itinerary. It is their baggage rules that apply. If you do not cross an area boundary then find the first marketing carrier to cross a sub-area boundary. This is your MSC whose baggage rules apply. Still not crossed a boundary then it is the first carrier to cross a national boundary this your MSC whose baggage rules you will use. Still not crossed a boundary then it is the marketing carrier for your first flight that is your MSC. Remember that it may not be your first flight that gives you your MSC.

Hand baggage rules normally are the MSC rules but there may be specific restrictions imposed by one of the other carriers.

What about Interlining?
Interlining multiple carrier journeys is basically the same as codeshare but there may be restrictions imposed by the other carriers.

What about my extra baggage allowance due to PC or OW status?
You now have your basic baggage allowance, as printed on your e-ticket/itinerary. To this you can add your PC/OW extra allowances. They are over and above your basic allowance as shown on your ticket. Note that PC Silvers have no extra piece allowance so using rules 1-3 would result in no extra allowance.
It is doubtful that all non OW carriers would accept your PC/OW extra weight. But if you check-in with a OW carrier then it is doubtful that a non OW airline would object. Checking in with a non OW airline may be more problematic. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...terlining.html for further information.

What may I check-in as baggage?
Apart from the items listed on http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/restricted-baggage you may check-in anything you wish provided it fits into the weight and dimensions of your allowance. For the weight concept you may check-in any number of items subject to weight and dimension limitations.
Another very important condition is the fitness of packaging (Suitcase) for the job. It has to be strong enough to survive the rigours of transport, Protect and contain the contents against damage and protect other luggage against damage. Thus no plastic bags, unless heavy duty plastic, are allowed.
Your baggage will be manhandled and thrown about travel through baggage sorting machines of varying quality. There is even a risk of it falling off (pushed off) the machines from height onto the floor.

I have been told that the test for suitability of baggage is to drop it onto a corner from 5m. If this is true or not I do not know. If you know the current tests please share with us.

Are there any Exceptions?
Above the main rules have been described but there are many more to take account of exceptions and special circumstances. In fact there are so many that IATA have developed an app that all airlines and TAs are required to use.

For example:
Flying in all 3 IATA areas. Then it is the marketing carrier between IATA areas 1 and 2 that is your MSC and thus your baggage allowance.

If the MSC has no provision for free baggage then it is the airline that checks you in whose baggage allowance you have.
DOH-SHJ-TUK (TUK = Turbat, Pakistan (IATA area 3)). In this case your MSC is the zero baggage XX between SHJ and TUK. But the rule allows you to use QRs allowances. The other way round (TUK-SHJ-DOH) is a different matter since XX is both the MSC and the airline that checks you in. So zero free baggage.

There are many other exceptions that are even more complicated.

With all these written and unwritten exceptions it is important to read the baggage rules of the MSC, especially the footnotes and footnotes to footnotes since they could change your allowance.

Are there any special baggage regulations?
There are two: One for all airlines and one specifically for QR
No airline should permit any airport to appear more than once on a baggage tag. Not only are the baggage handling systems not designed for it you risk that your bags shuttle between two airports never leaving the system!
Foe example your trip LHR-DOH-CAI-DOH-BKK must be broken into two to avoid DOH appearing twice. You would need to retrieve and recheck your baggage in CAI. This is one of the consequences of using the super cheap sale offers.
QR do not allow you to access your luggage in DOH unless you have a Free 96 hour Tourist visa. If you have a stopover in DOH you need to carry everything you will need in your hand luggage. This is also known as shortchecking!

Last updated 31/07/2017.
Originally developed by remdk 20/08/2016.
Print Wikipost

Checked Baggage Allowance

Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

What is Checked baggage?
Checked baggage is any baggage that you wish to take on a journey that is not classified as hand or cabin luggage. It is delivered to the airline at the start of the journey, it is carried in the hold of the aircraft. and you have no access to it until your final destination. Some airline permit access to your baggage if you have an overnight transfer on your journey. Except in very, very exceptional circumstances QR does not allow access.

What are the rules and regulations for baggage?
For health and safety reasons no piece of baggage may exceed 32kgs. The only exception is previously notified essential medical equipment.
IATA have established a set of rules for baggage handling – IATA Resolution 302. See http://www.lidot.lv/engine/client/co...abefb59248.pdffor the original resolution and http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_L...ier-rules.html for changes made 1 April 2015.

How much baggage may I check in?
There are two different concepts used for baggage:
Piece: where you may have a maximum number of pieces of baggage (Suitcases).
And
Weight: where you may have a maximum total weight of baggage.

What are the allowances?

1 Flights to and from Brazil;
___F, J and Y: 2 pieces max. 32kgs each, max dimensions 158cm.
2 Flights between Brazil and Argentina
3 All other flights to and from Argentina, Canada, and the U.S.
4 Flights between Doha and Casablanca
___F and J: 60kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
5 Itineraries originating from Africa
___F and J: 65kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
6 Flights between Eritrea and the UAE (DWC, DXB, AUH, SHJ and RKT)
___F and J: 35kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___Y: 25kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
7 Flights to and from all other destinations
___F: 50kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___J: 40kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
___Y: 30kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
See http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.page for details in lbs and inches.
Maximum dimension = length + width + height
Note that rule 5 is valid to and from Africa but only if the first flight of the reservation originates in Africa.

Which rule applies to my trip?
Several of the above rules could apply to you so how do you find the right one?
Start at 1 and ask if this rule applies to all or part of my journey. If it does you have your basic baggage allowance.
If not continue to 2 etc. until you find one that applies. This will be your basic baggage allowance.
Once you have found it go no further down the list.
There is a flaw in my logic with rules 1 and 2. I think that they should read “ Flights to and from Brazil except Argentina.” and “ Flights between Brazil and Argentina only” and the flaw is gone!

For example:
CPT-DOH- SYD or BKK or DXB or LHR Rule 5 would apply.
CAS-DOH-JFK rule 3 would apply
CPT-DOH-GRU rule 1 would apply.

That was the basic allowance for journeys on QR only. Now it gets complicated.

I have a codeshare flight does this affect my allowance?
IATA have a term 'Most Significant Carrier' or MSC.
IATA also differentiate between the 'Operating Carrier' and the 'Marketing Carrier'
The Operating Carrier is the airline that supplies the aircraft and flies the flight.
The Marketing Carrier is the airline who 'sold' the ticket, either directly or via a TA, and whose flight number appears on your itinerary.
According to IATA the world is divided into 3 Areas each of which consist of a number of sub-areas and each sub-area contains a number of countries. http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...t-carrier.page

Look at your itinerary and find the first flight that crosses an Area boundary. This is your MSC. Remember it is the Marketing Carrier, as shown on your itinerary. It is their baggage rules that apply. If you do not cross an area boundary then find the first marketing carrier to cross a sub-area boundary. This is your MSC whose baggage rules apply. Still not crossed a boundary then it is the first carrier to cross a national boundary this your MSC whose baggage rules you will use. Still not crossed a boundary then it is the marketing carrier for your first flight that is your MSC. Remember that it may not be your first flight that gives you your MSC.

Hand baggage rules normally are the MSC rules but there may be specific restrictions imposed by one of the other carriers.

What about Interlining?
Interlining – multiple carrier journeys – is basically the same as codeshare but there may be restrictions imposed by the other carriers.

What about my extra baggage allowance due to PC or OW status?
You now have your basic baggage allowance, as printed on your e-ticket/itinerary. To this you can add your PC/OW extra allowances. They are over and above your basic allowance as shown on your ticket. Note that PC Silvers have no extra piece allowance so using rules 1-3 would result in no extra allowance.
It is doubtful that all non OW carriers would accept your PC/OW extra weight. But if you check-in with a OW carrier then it is doubtful that a non OW airline would object. Checking in with a non OW airline may be more problematic.

Apart from the items listed on http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...d-baggage.page you may check-in anything you wish provided it fits into the weight and dimensions of your allowance. For the weight concept you may check-in any number of items subject to weight and dimension limitations.
Another very important condition is the fitness of packaging (Suitcase) for the job. It has to be strong enough to survive the rigours of transport, Protect and contain the contents against damage and protect other luggage against damage. Thus no plastic bags, unless heavy duty plastic, are allowed.
Your baggage will be manhandled and thrown about travel through baggage sorting machines of varying quality. There is even a risk of it falling off (pushed off) the machines from height onto the floor.

I have been told that the test for suitability of baggage is to drop it onto a corner from 5m. If this is true or not I do not know. If you know the current tests please share with us.

What about Hand baggage:
The rules for hand baggage are simple compared with checked baggage.
F and J: Two pieces with a total weight of max. 15kg.
Y: one piece not exceeding 7kg.
There are also restrictions on dimensions.
Note that unlike many other airlines laptops count as part of your hand baggage.
Some airports have their own rules that they insist replace the airline rules.

Are there any Exceptions;
Above the main rules have been described but there are many more to take account of exceptions and special circumstances. In fact there are so many that IATA have developed an app that all airlines and TAs are required to use.

For example:
Flying in all 3 IATA areas. Then it is the marketing carrier between IATA areas 1 and 2 that is your MSC and thus your baggage allowance.

If the MSC has no provision for free baggage then it is the airline that checks you in whose baggage allowance you have.
DOH-SHJ-TUK (TUK = Turbat, Pakistan (IATA area 3)). In this case your MSC is the zero baggage XX between SHJ and TUK. But the rule allows you to use QRs allowances. The other way round (TUK-SHJ-DOH) is a different matter since XX is both the MSC and the airline that checks you in. So zero free baggage.

With all these written and unwritten exceptions it is important to read the baggage rules of the MSC, especially the footnotes and footnotes to footnotes since they could change your allowance.

Last edited by remdk; Nov 4, 2016 at 7:50 am Reason: Added new rule 6
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Poster

For later use.

Last edited by remdk; Jul 31, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by remdk

5 Flights from Africa
F and J: 65kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
Y: 45kgs, max. dimensions 300cm.
Hi REMDK

I'm stationed in Africa - and my address as recorded with PC is also in Africa.
If I booked a ticket in J from Africa to Asia... will I then have the 65kg in checkin-luggage allowance on both outbound and inbound?
Or is it only on the outbound leg, i.e. out of Africa?

Regards
Nam
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Namlakhorn sorry to disappoint you but rule 5 is FROM Africa only, not TO Africa. Rule 6 would apply for your return journey.

Beware if flying to the Americas because you would have to use the piece concept (Rules 1-3). Rule 4 also overrides rule 5.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: QR Platinum
A continuation of post 1.
Apart from the items listed on http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...d-baggage.page you may check-in anything you wish provided it fits into the weight and dimensions of your allowance. For the weight concept you mat check-in any number of items subject to weight and dimension limitations.

I always wondered how they managed to destroy my new suitcase completely. Now I now that they did this test you mentioned ;-)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:08 am

Namlakhorn sorry to disappoint you but rule 5 is FROM Africa only, not TO Africa. Rule 6 would apply for your return journey.

Beware if flying to the Americas because you would have to use the piece concept (Rules 1-3). Rule 4 also overrides rule 5.
Thank you REMDK,

That is what I feared.
I find it strange that QR gives different checkin-luggage allowance on outbound vs. inbound when on same PNR, on same class and on same routing.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Namlakhorn
Thank you REMDK,

That is what I feared.
I find it strange that QR gives different checkin-luggage allowance on outbound vs. inbound when on same PNR, on same class and on same routing.
Hi REMDK,

I just made a booking in J class from Lagos - Bkk RT, and the baggage allowance is 65kgs in each direction.
So the information provided by QR is not too clear, since on their website other origins/destinations (than Africa) are mentioned to/from or between - whereas Africa is only "from".
But at least with my booking (sep 2016 - Oct 2016), it says on the e-ticket 65kg on both outbound and inbound.

Nam
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you Namlakhorn. I have incorporated you observation into the original post 1.

It will be interesting to see if this is a textual error or an error in the baggage software. Please keep us informed of any changes.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's worth noting, that QR tend to be quite flexible with their baggage allowances, especially for handbaggage.

However, there are obviously outstations where the Check-In staff for QR will be looking to implement the extra-charges. Most of these are on the African Continent, but India and China can also be pricey check-in experiences.

M
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:46 pm

Similarly, I have booked two overlapping return trips on QR in J and have flown the outbound of the first a few days ago to be followed ten days hence by the out bound of the second.

The first, BHX-DOH-JNB//JNB-DOH-BHX has an allowance of 40kg for both BHX to JNB and the return (hence FROM Africa denoting the origin at the beginning of the trip).

The second DUR-JNB-DOH-LHR//LHR-DOH-JNB-CPT allows 65 kg total in both directions (in reality 32kg x 2 as, certainly in DUR, this is the max per piece of luggage).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Continuation of post 1

What about Hand baggage:
The rules for hand baggage are simple compared with checked baggage.
F and J: Two pieces with a total weight of max. 15kg.
Y: one piece not exceeding 7kg.
There are also restrictions on dimensions.
Note that unlike many other airlines laptops count as part of your hand baggage.

Are there any Exceptions;

For example:

Last edited by remdk; Jul 9, 2016 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 10, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's worth noting, that QR tend to be quite flexible with their baggage allowances, especially for handbaggage.

However, there are obviously outstations where the Check-In staff for QR will be looking to implement the extra-charges. Most of these are on the African Continent, but India and China can also be pricey check-in experiences.

M
Beware of per piece maximums for hand baggage. In South Africa at any rate, the Airport Company of South Africa (ACSA) now enforces a 7kg limit per piece regardless of class of travel. Two pieces with a maximum of 15kg ex-SA will explicitly not allow 1 piece of, say, 10kg being allowed.

My hand baggage infrequently weighed but be aware.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:12 pm

Thanks in advance for any help. I read through this entire thread and it seems favorable. Our baggage is within the size limits but my hand baggage is 9kg and my wife's is 12kg. We're both flying in coach. JFK-DOH-JNB-DOH-BCN. We know we can check the bags but due to a connecting flight from JNB to CPT (I know I know, why didn't I book from DOH-CPT) of 2 hours we didn't want to risk checking it unless absolutely necessary. I noticed also about a laptop counting as your hand baggage.
My questions are:
Are these airports stringent on 7kg rule?
Will they weigh my carry on and my backpack together and the total is 7kg or my backpack they don't weigh?

Thanks again. We can't wait for our trip
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Thanks in advance for any help. I read through this entire thread and it seems favorable. Our baggage is within the size limits but my hand baggage is 9kg and my wife's is 12kg. We're both flying in coach. JFK-DOH-JNB-DOH-BCN. We know we can check the bags but due to a connecting flight from JNB to CPT (I know I know, why didn't I book from DOH-CPT) of 2 hours we didn't want to risk checking it unless absolutely necessary. I noticed also about a laptop counting as your hand baggage.
My questions are:
Are these airports stringent on 7kg rule?
Will they weigh my carry on and my backpack together and the total is 7kg or my backpack they don't weigh?

Thanks again. We can't wait for our trip
They never checked my carry on. Also I have never seen that any other passenger had to weigh his hand baggage. So I would say it's highly unlikely that they'll check on you, but there's never a guarantee for anything, so don't be surprised if they actually do
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:33 pm

I'm very doubtful that they will but have never flown QR so wasn't sure. 3 years ago Alitalia insisted on weighing my shoulder bag with my carry on which was overweight and in turn I had to check in my carry on although we had already paid extra for our checked bag. So had to do 2 checked bags. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.