Coronavirus in Sweden

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
In my opinion, the biggest problem with Sweden is that they were not ready for any pandemic at all. Finland has huge emergency stockpiles of medicines and protective gear (https://www.svt.se/nyheter/hemliga-f...pslager-oppnas), while Sweden has nothing at all. Swedish governments have, over a long period of time, shown serious lethargy in preparing for difficult times.
Although Finland indeed maintains reserves of medical supplies for crisis situations, there has already been talk that 1) some of the protective equipment stockpiled is unusable as it is too old (eg. masks with broken elastic bands) 2) whether the amount of equipment stored is sufficient, especially since the decision to start distributing equipment from these crisis reserves came fairly soon after the epidemic emerged.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I confirmed that they were open for classes yesterday, even as participation was apparently down substantially. Parking ticket collection in Malmo seems to go on as usual -- or more so -- at schools and facilities where school kids gather for classes or whatever else, even on weekends.

Get familiar with the phrase: "more loyal than the king".
Yeah, the government thinks every kid has an abusive home without food and the street is full of pedophiles - that's one of the many reasons to keep schools open. Oxie is kind of a not so wealthy part of Malmo, so I guess they keep the classes open.

Parking tickets form a big revenue in Malmo, you also see local governments have less revenue from red light tickets. Whether you choose to pay it is another story......

477 deaths in Sweden and a baby is in ICU on ventilator.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So, Aftenposten is trying to argue that Swedes are capable of thingking for themselves, and thus there is no need to put bans and restrictions in place. There is also no law against eating "flugsvamp" poisonous mushrooms.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/50qmd6

The one difficulty I have with that parallel is that people do actually eat poisonous mushrooms (let's ignore the funny ones), but when they do it only have consequences for themselves. However, for the ones that do not understand how to behave with Covid-19 it can have quite broad impact. So while I generally subscribe to the approach of the Scandinavian countries where we expect people to be able to think, and leave them to carry the consequences of their own actions (and stupidity), I do believe that this outbreak has shown that we can't manage it that way. I was initially quite on the side of the Swedish course action, however I have read too many reports of people behaving recklessly and causing widespread harm.
While I'm a STRONG believer in personal liberty, there is an incredibly vague delineation between what is legal and not legal in Sweden and there is far from an obvious redline against this way of apparent thinking that Löfven decided exists in Sweden. More so since most European liberties are illegal in Sweden and not left to the adult to decide. So please be responsible and don't give other people COVID-19 but please let the government continue to control and tax all other aspects of your life.

It is also unfortunately blatantly obvious for anyone having lived in Sweden for 3 weeks that Swedes aren't responsible at all and the observant spectator can see this left and right. People being mad at the government because they have to pay a contribution to a repatriation flight from the other side of the world because they lack any sense of financial discipline and accumulate savings before setting out for a globetrotting adventure. Left and right people are getting in trouble because they naively trust in the Swedish system and have no financial buffer to help them through short periods of hard times. The completely biased Swedish news doesn't help and what the country needs most, also outside of COVID-19 is objective news reporting.

What we're seeing is the typical Swedish lack of strong leadership from a PM that shouldn't be in charge in the first place. He wasn't going to get re-elected but it seems he's on a mission to ensure that won't happen period. No left winged leader is going to implement rules with negative economic consequences which will require the government to cut back on the social system benefits, especially not social democrats who would alienate their voters. Nobody will have forgotten about COVID-19 and the changes that will need to get implemented by 2022 and his only play is to hope "this will all not be that bad" and we all know how well that worked out for the rest of Europe.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Parking ticket collection in Malmo seems to go on as usual -- or more so -- at schools and facilities where school kids gather for classes or whatever else, even on weekends.
Speeding checks and enforcement is operating at normal levels as well because unlike in the rest of Europe, during a pandemic that is a priority in Sweden.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Yeah, the government thinks every kid has an abusive home without food and the street is full of pedophiles - that's one of the many reasons to keep schools open. Oxie is kind of a not so wealthy part of Malmo, so I guess they keep the classes open.

Parking tickets form a big revenue in Malmo, you also see local governments have less revenue from red light tickets. Whether you choose to pay it is another story......

477 deaths in Sweden and a baby is in ICU on ventilator.
Wait, weren't we sort of told that kids are basically immune from this virus and complications from being exposed to it? Thankfully, not everyone bought that line. I wonder where the "survival of the fittest", "herd immunity" brigade is when it comes to infants and toddlers? Actually, I don't.

I was told that the Oxie swim class students on weekends are often not from Oxie and come in from elsewhere in Malmo or from parts of Vellinge. Just like a lot of the Vellinge swim class attendees after (what passes for Swedish adult) work hours aren't from Vellinge and come in there from the western or southern parts of Malmo. Welcome to the country having more kids than there is easy capacity to handle kids without packing them in to the brim or making parents/guardians and stand-ins jump through hoops for kids.

Oxie co-op housing prices will probably take a bath in this environment, and those free-standing houses in a different part of Oxie are going to probably see price declines sooner than later. Given the general inclination of people in the country to not save a whole bunch regardless of where they are on the socio-economic spectrum, all home areas -- except maybe the lowest end of the rental market -- are likely to get nailed hard if the banks aren't made to be extremely "generous" to financially-stretched home-owners of most all sorts.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, weren't we sort of told that kids are basically immune from this virus and complications from being exposed to it?

Oxie co-op housing prices will probably take a bath in this environment, and those free-standing houses in a different part of Oxie are going to probably see price declines sooner than later. Given the general inclination of people in the country to not save a whole bunch regardless of where they are on the socio-economic spectrum, all home areas -- except maybe the lowest end of the rental market -- are likely to get nailed hard if the banks aren't made to be extremely "generous" to financially-stretched home-owners of most all sorts.
The government thinks kids don't have virus and teachers are immune to the kids.

I'm curious how many foreigners are coming to Sweden after the mess - I know a lot of them prefer renting than buying (apart from not qualifying for a mortgage, I still haven't figured out why). Places like Oxie are definitely suffering the most when prices drop.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

the whole town has one VC and 3 ambulances
Only one WC ... that would explain the mad rush for toilet paper ...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:55 pm
Suspended

The government thinks kids don't have virus and teachers are immune to the kids.

I'm curious how many foreigners are coming to Sweden after the mess - I know a lot of them prefer renting than buying (apart from not qualifying for a mortgage, I still haven't figured out why). Places like Oxie are definitely suffering the most when prices drop.
When you think the housing market is overpriced and you’re possibly not intending to stay longer term, renting can be a way to avoid the risk of losing bigger chunks of capital. And even housing cooperatives
can end up having their finances compromised by circumstances beyond the control of an individual coop shareholder ..... more so at a time of major job loses.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedChili
Only one WC ... that would explain the mad rush for toilet paper ...
“Vardcentral” not water closet/toilet.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you think the housing market is overpriced and you’re possibly not intending to stay longer term, renting can be a way to avoid the risk of losing bigger chunks of capital. And even housing cooperatives
can end up having their finances compromised by circumstances beyond the control of an individual coop shareholder ..... more so at a time of major job loses.
The thing is I know a lot who have been here for over 5 years and are still renting a place to live. It makes no sense to me to dump 20k+ rent into a big blue sea every month and on top of that you need to pay utilities etc. These people I know are not particularly well-off or anything. I just have a hard time believing that it makes sense financially to do - unless you can get rent subsidy from the government (also a lot of these people have their own company).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:17 am
Suspended

The thing is I know a lot who have been here for over 5 years and are still renting a place to live. It makes no sense to me to dump 20k+ rent into a big blue sea every month and on top of that you need to pay utilities etc. These people I know are not particularly well-off or anything. I just have a hard time believing that it makes sense financially to do - unless you can get rent subsidy from the government (also a lot of these people have their own company).
A lot of people in Sweden don’t have much in the way of savings, so without the money for a downpayment, they will remain stuck in the rental market.

Government-contribution toward housing costs in Sweden may be more generous to people renting rather than owning if/when households fall on hard times?

Even in not so hard times, in Stockholm especially, there would be couples who claimed to be living apart in separate rental apartments so as to illegally maximize housing support payments and use one of the two rental units as a property to informally sublease/re-rent to generate income. I expect that the hard times coming from the coronavirus situation in Sweden will lead to more such scams taking place in the country without much substantial government action being taken against such scammers. Hard times for more people often come with more fraud attempts.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of people in Sweden don’t have much in the way of savings, so without the money for a downpayment, they will remain stuck in the rental market.

Government-contribution toward housing costs in Sweden may be more generous to people renting rather than owning if/when households fall on hard times?

Even in not so hard times, in Stockholm especially, there would be couples who claimed to be living apart in separate rental apartments so as to illegally maximize housing support payments and use one of the two rental units as a property to informally sublease/re-rent to generate income. I expect that the hard times coming from the coronavirus situation in Sweden will lead to more such scams taking place in the country without much substantial government action being taken against such scammers. Hard times for more people often come with more fraud attempts.
I kind of expect the no down payment thing, and I guess the housing subsidy is the key - as owner of a house you get nothing from the government.

The scam has been on for years - some people are still registered in Sweden even though they moved back to their home countries years ago.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

I kind of expect the no down payment thing, and I guess the housing subsidy is the key - as owner of a house you get nothing from the government.

The scam has been on for years - some people are still registered in Sweden even though they moved back to their home countries years ago.
Yes, but there are a lot of people doing housing support payment scams who had no place to hunker down during this time except in Sweden and have had no obvious foreign antecedents for quite some time (and probably then some). When more people are financially stretched due to this virus situation in Sweden, people that struggle with downsizing their costs and are desperate to maintain the accustomed to lifestyle, may be somewhat more inclined to engage in this kind of fraud that has been typical for decades in the country. Fraud of some sorts has already risen due to this situation: such as people preying on the elderly afraid to go for groceries but who aren’t set up for or can’t afford online grocery shopping and delivery or are just more gullible/vulnerable to scammers.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but there are a lot of people doing housing support payment scams who had no place to hunker down during this time except in Sweden and have had no obvious foreign antecedents for quite some time (and probably then some). When more people are financially stretched due to this virus situation in Sweden, people that struggle with downsizing their costs and are desperate to maintain the accustomed to lifestyle, may be somewhat more inclined to engage in this kind of fraud that has been typical for decades in the country. Fraud of some sorts has already risen due to this situation: such as people preying on the elderly afraid to go for groceries but who aren’t set up for or can’t afford online grocery shopping and delivery or are just more gullible/vulnerable to scammers.
It doesn't help when the police is not doing anything either.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:46 am

It doesn't help when the police is not doing anything either.
The police is to busy writing speeding tickets and doing alcohol checks because the system needs money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.