Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Coronavirus in Sweden

Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
In November 1999 we went to LA and the exchange rate between DKK to USD was 9:1. Mr. bought a book at LAX and we said with sales tax it's like x10 to DKK.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So 793 dead from this virus in Sweden. The number of dead was 687 yesterday, so an increase of 106.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So 793 dead from this virus in Sweden. The number of dead was 687 yesterday, so an increase of 106.
Now the government said "recommendations" = law, they are talking about shutting down restaurants that don't follow "recommendations".

Stockholm people were travelling out of town yesterday: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...saYckTP3OyHcxI

I found out that there's Anders Tegnell fan club and "we support Anders Tegnell & Co. (FHM)" on facebook
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Now the government said "recommendations" = law, they are talking about shutting down restaurants that don't follow "recommendations".

Stockholm people were travelling out of town yesterday: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...saYckTP3OyHcxI

I found out that there's Anders Tegnell fan club and "we support Anders Tegnell & Co. (FHM)" on facebook
I found out about his fan club a few days ago but wasn’t surprised as I was hearing from all sorts of Swedes how they supported what he was doing and how the government was doing the proper thing for the situation given the “special” and “unique” attributes of Sweden.

Travel within Sweden was definitely up at points yesterday and today, and many people “working from home” seemed to cut out to go on Easter trips earlier than those who can’t work from home.and thus couldn’t travel as early for Easter break. Sounds like more time to spread the the virus sooner than later.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Various
I found out about his fan club a few days ago but wasn’t surprised as I was hearing from all sorts of Swedes how they supported what he was doing and how the government was doing the proper thing for the situation given the “special” and “unique” attributes of Sweden.
I've found that the suspected SD types in my vicinity are against the goverment's effort here and would prefer stricter measures. I suspect it's because they distrust the government in general. I realize the small sample size doesn't let me publish this in the Lancet but would be curious to see how it plays out.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel within Sweden was definitely up at points yesterday and today, and many people “working from home” seemed to cut out to go on Easter trips earlier than those who can’t work from home.and thus couldn’t travel as early for Easter break. Sounds like more time to spread the the virus sooner than later.
Yeah it's pretty unique to see latex gloves everywhere outside ICA's parking lot because people are so special and unique that they dumped the complementary one off gloves provided by the supermarket everywhere in the parking lot.

I think I might need to go to Denmark to get some things done before May because if this crap hits Skane hard, DK might choose to close the border.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've found that the suspected SD types in my vicinity are against the goverment's effort here and would prefer stricter measures. I suspect it's because they distrust the government in general. I realize the small sample size doesn't let me publish this in the Lancet but would be curious to see how it plays out.
That is true for the midland and up ones of such persuasion. But in their heartland of Swedish-occupied parts of what used to be Denmark, they aren’t as eager to see massive lockdowns and are playing up the “maybe we should let it take out the expensive immigrants”. At some point, I would expect there to be convergence across the regions by people of such persuasion, but I am not seeing the national convergence happening yet and am wondering what JA’s play will turn out to be in this. I’m guessing JA may want to keep a low profile on this issue and to hope that the government burns itself with massive virus deaths in Skane and Blekinge and across the whole country. The overstretched healthcare system is part of the usual talk.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 9, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Various
That is true for the midland and up ones of such persuasion. But in their heartland of Swedish-occupied parts of what used to be Denmark, they aren’t as eager to see massive lockdowns and are playing up the “maybe we should let it take out the expensive immigrants”.
I guess those people haven't noticed the British PM is in a hospital and that several other VIP:s around the world are suffering.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is true for the midland and up ones of such persuasion. But in their heartland of Swedish-occupied parts of what used to be Denmark, they aren’t as eager to see massive lockdowns and are playing up the “maybe we should let it take out the expensive immigrants”. At some point, I would expect there to be convergence across the regions by people of such persuasion, but I am not seeing the national convergence happening yet and am wondering what JA’s play will turn out to be in this. I’m guessing JA may want to keep a low profile on this issue and to hope that the government burns itself with massive virus deaths in Skane and Blekinge and across the whole country. Attacking on the basis of overstretched healthcare system is part of his usual talk.
I think it's about 50/50 whether they want things like schools to close, not the lockdown model like Germany but more like DK and NO. The healthcare and schools are overstretched in Sweden so yes it would be nice if someone comes up and say they are going to fix it. Malmo is cutting its school budget and I can't imagine schools has less funding than they have now.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:47 pm
Suspended

The economic damage from this virus situation in Sweden is going to really put the squeeze on Malmo schools. I wonder what additional barriers to entry Vellinge will try to put up on school kids from other areas. Border control at the bridge to Ljunghusen won’t be sufficient for the Vellinge crowd on the Hollviken side of the bridge. Maybe border control near Tygelsjo?

Prepare the school kids for worse school meals.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I guess those people haven't noticed the British PM is in a hospital and that several other VIP:s around the world are suffering.
Boris’ recovery will provide them hope too, conflicted/twisted as they have been over Brexit and Swexit.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 9, 2020 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yeah it's pretty unique to see latex gloves everywhere outside ICA's parking lot because people are so special and unique that they dumped the complementary one off gloves provided by the supermarket everywhere in the parking lot.

I think I might need to go to Denmark to get some things done before May because if this crap hits Skane hard, DK might choose to close the border.
Denmark has closed the border long time ago, unless you hold a Danish passport (residency), have a job in Denmark, or can prove a reason to go. Sick relatives, children in your care etc. I doubt that the borders will be closed more than this, no matter what Sweden does. Maybe a declaraof war would do the trick.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The economic damage from this virus situation in Sweden is going to really put the squeeze on Malmo schools. I wonder what additional barriers to entry Vellinge will try to put up on school kids from other areas. Border control at the bridge to Ljunghusen won’t be sufficient for the Vellinge crowd on the Hollviken side of the bridge. Maybe border control near Tygelsjo?

Prepare the school kids for worse school meals.

Boris’ recovery will provide them hope too, conflicted/twisted as they have been over Brexit and Swexit.
How much worse can the school meals be? My kids are living on milk and crisp bread already - 2 days a week with meat replacement and 1 day with soup and the salad is mixed with dressing (my kids don't like dressing and it's not particularly). I don't mind if they take away the useless school meals and put the money on teaching instead.

It depends on whether Vellinge is willing to take out of kommun kids, as far as I know they have to if they have seats available. International schools are only available in Malmo/Lund unless you are willing to travel to Helsingborg.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:09 am
Suspended

How much worse can the school meals be? My kids are living on milk and crisp bread already - 2 days a week with meat replacement and 1 day with soup and the salad is mixed with dressing (my kids don't like dressing and it's not particularly). I don't mind if they take away the useless school meals and put the money on teaching instead.

It depends on whether Vellinge is willing to take out of kommun kids, as far as I know they have to if they have seats available. International schools are only available in Malmo/Lund unless you are willing to travel to Helsingborg.
The Anders Telling Facebook fan group pages are sanitized to remove criticism and doubt about AT’s approach.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The question of Sweden's approach keeps making waves around the world.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/e...ntl/index.html

Is the Stockholm subway as empty as the writer claims?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The question of Sweden's approach keeps making waves around the world.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/e...ntl/index.html

Is the Stockholm subway as empty as the writer claims?
The buses are sometimes very full still.. The subways mostly are empty, as there isn’t as much of a peak hour for the T-bana/subway traffic as usual. But there are times when the T-bana and commuter train cars have people congregating to rush together into the same car/car door before spreading and also congregate at the gates to enter the system.

People in Sweden in favor of whatever the government allows/does in Sweden with the virus situation are fixated on the disproportionately higher number of “immigrants” being killed by this virus in Stockholm and trying to use it to claim that those deaths are because “immigrants don’t follow the rules/recommendations” and their deaths should be taken as a sign that “Swedes don’t need legal prohibitions and are following the recommendations ‘enough’”. Welcome to Sweden and the thinking of even those who are proud to proclaim Sweden a “humanitarian superpower”.

Based on what I could see of Swedish ski resorts last week and of traffic on the road out of Stockholm with loaded cars and families this week and earlier this month, most of those groups of distance travelers in Sweden seemed to be of European ethnic backgrounds. So much for the “recommendation” to avoid non-essential travel being followed “enough” by Swedes.

About former Danish territory in Sweden and its persons going into Denmark, I am betting that the border controllers dealing with this group too are a potential super-spread vector for this virus in Denmark and around southern Sweden.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 10, 2020 at 6:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.