Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
People have gone back to their normal lives and barely anyone is getting infected anymore.
Because they are out and about in the sunny nice weather. Just wait till the weather goes back to normal fall and everyone rubs shoulders in crowded places.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I know there's a separate thread about Corona in Sweden but I saw someone else linking to this article written by a junior doctor at Danderyd.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/08...s-perspective/

Sweden ripped the metaphorical band-aid off quickly and got the epidemic over and done with in a short amount of time, while the rest of the world has chosen to try to peel the band-aid off slowly. At present that means Sweden has one of the highest total death rates in the world. But Covid is over in Sweden. People have gone back to their normal lives and barely anyone is getting infected anymore

The naivity of the "Corona is over in Sweden" statement is just so staggering. I am feeling less and less confident in the medical profession in Sweden. Not the first quote from a doctor to that extend I have encountered. I guess 288 new infections per day as rolling 7 day average is the same as completely over.
tsastor likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I lke to refer to the FT death rate (vs normal years). The level in Sthlm clearly shows there are higher death rates even today... not as high as in spring, but still higher...

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...ext&width=1260

Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yesterday in Rapport on SVT1 someone explained the kind of masks and how to use them... it was hillarious.They also interviewed the few mask wearers they found on the street. Once all Swedes return from their summer breaks and start meeting indoors again due to the colder weather the infection rate will sadly climb again for sure.
Someone wrote that she went to a public clinic wearing a mask, a nurse immediately came over and asked if she is ill. She said no, she is wearing a mask to protect the others. The nurse said to her that if she is ill the mask should be put the white side out and the opposite if not. I have never heard of that in my life.

I know there's a separate thread about Corona in Sweden but I saw someone else linking to this article written by a junior doctor at Danderyd.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/08...s-perspective/
This dude again - no wonder he is a junior doctor.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The naivity of the "Corona is over in Sweden" statement is just so staggering. I am feeling less and less confident in the medical profession in Sweden. Not the first quote from a doctor to that extend I have encountered. I guess 288 new infections per day as rolling 7 day average is the same as completely over.
This is what FHM wants us to think - number of cases are dropping so it's over. No need to worry about packed buses and trains, everything is on as usual. I guess Swedish schools start next week so it will be interesting to see the figures 2-3 weeks from now.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Someone wrote that she went to a public clinic wearing a mask, a nurse immediately came over and asked if she is ill. She said no, she is wearing a mask to protect the others. The nurse said to her that if she is ill the mask should be put the white side out and the opposite if not. I have never heard of that in my life.

What am I to do with my masks that are white on both sides? LOL.

There are differences in masks whether they are supposed to keep things out, or things in. Surgical masks are typically meant to keep things in.

But I have never heard that you can change that effect just by flipping them over. Somehow I am sure you should wear the mask as it was designed to be worn.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: Various
I would have preferred to hear from more senior doctors at Danderyd. Or preferably Karolinska or Huddinge. Reason for that is whilst I'm not 100% certain of the geographic distribution of their respective patients I know that Danderyd is located in the wealthy North-East and the other big hospitals serve the bigger immigrant areas.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What am I to do with my masks that are white on both sides? LOL.

There are differences in masks whether they are supposed to keep things out, or things in. Surgical masks are typically meant to keep things in.

But I have never heard that you can change that effect just by flipping them over. Somehow I am sure you should wear the mask as it was designed to be worn.
Exactly - that's why we were shocked to see that post!

I would have preferred to hear from more senior doctors at Danderyd. Or preferably Karolinska or Huddinge. Reason for that is whilst I'm not 100% certain of the geographic distribution of their respective patients I know that Danderyd is located in the wealthy North-East and the other big hospitals serve the bigger immigrant areas.
I don't like he is using his "impression" rather than supporting with facts - Sweden is much more than just Stockholm.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: Various
I don't like he is using his "impression" rather than supporting with facts - Sweden is much more than just Stockholm.
What do you mean? Yes, you can travel to Åre, VIsby, Båstad and Österlen. We all know that. Just make sure to go when the others are going too. That doesn't mean that those who live there and their opinions or experiences really count.

Right?

In a way this is typical. Inner city Stockholm(including Bromma) and the nice suburbs to the East and Northeast are the only ones that count. The rest is flyover country.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean? Yes, you can travel to Åre, VIsby, Båstad and Österlen. We all know that. Just make sure to go when the others are going too. That doesn't mean that those who live there and their opinions or experiences really count.

Right?

In a way this is typical. Inner city Stockholm(including Bromma) and the nice suburbs to the East and Northeast are the only ones that count. The rest is flyover country.
I mean if he thinks his hospital/department has no case of Covid-19 doesn't mean it's over in Sweden - his statement makes himself sounds like an idiot:
Basically, Covid is in all practical senses over and done with in Sweden. After four months.
I'm glad that the language and literature department at University of Gothenburg has decided to move all courses online this term:

Online teaching

The courses at the Department of Languages and Literatures will be conducted remotely (online) during the autumn term of 2020. This decision has been taken in view of the Swedish Public Health Agency's recommendations and the need for maintaining social distancing to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
The very interesting part is they are following FHM's recommendation.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Someone wrote that she went to a public clinic wearing a mask, a nurse immediately came over and asked if she is ill. She said no, shye is wearing a mask to protect the others. The nurse said to her that if she is ill the mask should be put the white side out and the opposite if not. I have never heard of that in my life.

This is what FHM wants us to think - number of cases are dropping so it's over. No need to worry about packed buses and trains, everything is on as usual. I guess Swedish schools start next week so it will be interesting to see the figures 2-3 weeks from now.
I give it 5-8 weeks from Tuesday for the real hit from this month’s vacations endings

Junior or senior, doctors thinking like that are anything but rare in Sweden. The Swedish doctors in my social circle find me mostly to be an outsider to their thinking. The American, Asian and other European doctors in my family are somewhere between curious and concerned about me in Sweden and what comes next for Sweden at this time.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Danderyd’s maternity ward frequently has people staying there who are from the poorer outskirts of Stockholm too. Skarholmen is pretty far away from being like the better parts of Danderyd.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:45 am
Original Poster

It may not come as a surprise that I actually liked his article very much. It made a lot of sense.

But, no, he didn't say that it was "completely over," as you claim. He said: "Basically, Covid is in all practical senses over and done with in Sweden." And I really agree. You're talking about 288 new infections as a rolling 7 day average. That's less than 0.003% of the population. If so few are infected, there's no pandemic anymore.

Have I understood correctly that you claim that 0.003% is an "exceptionally high proportion of the population"?

I lke to refer to the FT death rate (vs normal years). The level in Sthlm clearly shows there are higher death rates even today... not as high as in spring, but still higher...
Here's an updated graph for mortality per day per million for all of Sweden, for the months of January-June 2015-2020. As you can see, from about May 21, we've had completely normal numbers in Sweden.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:11 am

Well, not trying to fuel the discussion too much, I (as a data guy) have to at least argue that that graphs/figure violate the most basic principle of scientific data display. Which is: if you show data from different series which should be used for comparison, show them using the same scaling. Obviously most people will argue that of course the absolute number of Brazil are different than the numbers in Sweden. But then comparing absolut numbers is not the way of doing it. More useful would be per capita for example.

And yes, I also belong to those people who think that the whole crisis management has taken a very wrong path in the last few months. There is no strategy in most countries, there is panic reaction going one way or the other. Which is not helping too much.

Last edited by fassy; Aug 13, 2020 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
It may not come as a surprise that I actually liked his article very much. It made a lot of sense.

But, no, he didn't say that it was "completely over," as you claim. He said: "Basically, Covid is in all practical senses over and done with in Sweden." And I really agree. You're talking about 288 new infections as a rolling 7 day average. That's less than 0.003% of the population. If so few are infected, there's no pandemic anymore.

Have I understood correctly that you claim that 0.003% is an "exceptionally high proportion of the population"?
Well, that is one way to look at it. Another is to look at the point that the highest ever 7 day rolling average was 1,127, meaning that the infection rate is still running at 25.5% of the infection rate at the worst point in time. So, I am arguing that saying the epidemic is over in all practical senses is a naive point of view. Yesterday was 329 new cases, so there may signs of an upward trajectory again, like in most other countries. The risk of a flare up is still very much there.

No, it does not come as a surprise that we don't see eye to eye on the article.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Well, that is one way to look at it. Another is to look at the point that the highest ever 7 day rolling average was 1,127, meaning that the infection rate is still running at 25.5% of the infection rate at the worst point in time. So, I am arguing that saying the epidemic is over in all practical senses is a naive point of view. Yesterday was 329 new cases, so there may signs of an upward trajectory again, like in most other countries. The risk of a flare up is still very much there.
This is a case where statistics plays tricks on you, while working in the field gives you a better view.

In April, the health care system was so overloaded that they only actually tested those that were hospitalized. And at that time, between 500-600 people were confirmed positive per day. But the real infection numbers were far, far higher.

Now, on the other hand, they don't have so many hospitalized patients, so anybody that wants to get tested can be tested. The number 1,127 that you mention, is from the beginning of June, when they suddenly opened up for everybody and his brother to get tested. So, those cases were mostly asymptomatic or with mild symptoms only. And it's the same with the number of infections today: They're mostly asymptomatic or with mild symptoms.

But the hospitals hardly see any of the new positive cases at all, and that was Doctor Rushworth's point: In March, "Practically everyone who was tested had Covid, regardless of their presenting symptoms ... It is now four months since the start of the pandemic, and I haven’t seen a single Covid patient in over a month. When I do test someone because they have a cough or a fever, the test invariably comes back negative."

In order to get a more correct view of the infection rate, it's better to look at the 7-day average number of dead, to assume a mortality rate of 0.5%, and to assume a one-month period from infection to death. That would give the following numbers:

March 1: 8,200
April 1: 15,600
May 1: 7,800
June 1: 3,600
July 1: 400

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.