Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The UK’s mixed messages to the British public and Boris’s early hostility toward lockdown advice for quite some time probably aren't without consequences of their own even during lockdowns.

Originally Posted by RedChili
Since the very beginning of the lockdown, I've said that it will kill more people than it saves. The reason that I quoted the U.K. article is because this is the first official government report from any country that I know of which confirms that this is already the case. And this is just the short-term effects. I suspect that the same is true for all countries, but I don't have any hard evidence for it yet.
I don’t know what to make of the rushed UK report at this point, but I am pretty sure that not all countries work the same way.

The lockdowns in Norway and Denmark have certainly not killed more people than they saved, if we use their neighbor Sweden as the benchmark from not having locked down.

Also, deaths are not the only harm caused by this virus. For some of those hit but not killed by the virus, tissue and organ damage that falls short of killing people for quite some time — and then some, if ever — is also a consequence.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 10, 2020 at 7:42 am
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sweden’s beaches had record or near record crowd volumes this weekend. With matching lines to go to the same restrooms, buy ice cream, jump off the docks/piers, etc as most of the rest of the crowds.

Lemming-like behavior now will have some very interesting consequences later, especially as this is taking place is on the cusp of Swedish schools and workplaces getting busy again upon summer vacations ending.
Across the bridge, Mette F is now talking about a potential need to wear masks for public transportation across the nation. It’ll probably be an uphill battle with the average conventional Dane pointing to not just party-loving youngsters, but also hindering variables such as west coast-hoarding Germans, alternative culture Aarhus Somalis and longing Swedes pouring through the floodgates. It’s time for the Queen to step in.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The poor dear Tegnell is still arguing that 20-30 percent of the population has immunity, though no testing can actually verify that so far. But apparently that is just because the sampling in the testing is not good enough.

When did school holidays start in Sweden, 9th of June I believe, so does a June 25-28 drop of of new infections not correlate pretty well to school holidays as a contributing facto? About 2 weeks. It is not like everyone was out of the cities on day one....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-be-disastrous
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: Various
I don't understand why he's discussing how many may be immune. This implies he and FHM actually consider herd immunity the end of Covid-19 which is something he's denied.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I don't understand why he's discussing how many may be immune. This implies he and FHM actually consider herd immunity the end of Covid-19 which is something he's denied.
He has actually been discussing that point ever so often with foreign media. Well maybe mostly Danish media, but I have seen the topic pop up from time to time.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm in Sweden since Friday and its bizzare how careless the Swedes are about protecting themselves and others. Of course there are signs every where to socially distance but no one does it. In ARN there are signs to wear a mask, but maybe half of the people walking around do it. In the SAS flight people kept taking off their mask, my dear seat neighbour used it as an eyemask to get better sleep.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm in Sweden since Friday and its bizzare how careless the Swedes are about protecting themselves and others. Of course there are signs every where to socially distance but no one does it. In ARN there are signs to wear a mask, but maybe half of the people walking around do it. In the SAS flight people kept taking off their mask, my dear seat neighbour used it as an eyemask to get better sleep.
That's why we have been self-isolating since March and fortunately we have a car so we don't have to take public transport.

When the head of the public health authority told you that mask is not helping, what do you expect people to do?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
He has actually been discussing that point ever so often with foreign media. Well maybe mostly Danish media, but I have seen the topic pop up from time to time.
I heard Gisecke said yes in a video from Unherd when the presenter asking him if Sweden is looking for herd immunity.

Someone got a hold of email exchanges between them and from their exchanges they are definitely thinking about herd immunity. Apparently someone requested those email exchanges from FHM because they are available to the public.
GUWonder and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by nacho
... and from their exchanges they are definitely thinking about herd immunity.
In today's news is a story from a place in my county about how hopeless it is with no vaccine.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...unity-covid-19
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/qs/...n7A8t6P7xE5nWM

"I think the virus will sweep like a storm over Sweden and infect basically everyone in one or two months /.../ I think there are already thousands of infected in Sweden./.../ It all ends when so many become infected and then immune so that the virus has nowhere to go (called 'herd immunity' ”)
From the article using google translate.

1 or 2 months..... now it's what 5-6 months and it's not done.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The poor dear Tegnell is still arguing that 20-30 percent of the population has immunity, though no testing can actually verify that so far. But apparently that is just because the sampling in the testing is not good enough.

When did school holidays start in Sweden, 9th of June I believe, so does a June 25-28 drop of of new infections not correlate pretty well to school holidays as a contributing facto? About 2 weeks. It is not like everyone was out of the cities on day one....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-be-disastrous
June 11th is when the school vacations started for a good chunk of Sweden.

Tegnell has been grasping at straws repeatedly when it comes to the pursuit of "herd immunity" by whatever mask it wears when he sort of comments about this stuff; and it's been coming out from him too for months now.

Schools and offices are going to start filling up to the pre-break brim, from after this coming Monday. The notion that pre-teen kids can't be a major source of community cases seems to be wishful thinking in light of what has been going on with infections of kids who attended US summer camps and schools.

I won't be surprised if more Swedes end up again being excluded from traveling to Sweden's neighbors, as the neighbors' openings toward Swedes seems set to face a retreat of sort already.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
What pandemic, this is Sweden.

I went through feeds of people boarding buses and trains in parts of Malmo today for travel within Sweden for this week. There wasn't even 0.5% mask use by passengers from what I could see.

Social-distancing in Sweden is a big joke, and the joke is that the signs there are to keep a distance between the signs.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What pandemic, this is Sweden.

I went through feeds of people boarding buses and trains in parts of Malmo today for travel within Sweden for this week. There wasn't even 0.5% mask use by passengers from what I could see.

Social-distancing in Sweden is a big joke, and the joke is that the signs there are to keep a distance between the signs.
Yes, I noticed you were gone for a bit here and there (and naturally missed the company). Maybe you enjoyed the bus ride to Oslo and back? I read someone's story elsewhere just today that it was packed and no one wore masks. And the supply of both disposable masks and hand sanitizer was non-existing according to the report.You would fit right in haha. But good to have you back and I hope your result from the test in four days turns out for the best.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yesterday in Rapport on SVT1 someone explained the kind of masks and how to use them... it was hillarious.They also interviewed the few mask wearers they found on the street. Once all Swedes return from their summer breaks and start meeting indoors again due to the colder weather the infection rate will sadly climb again for sure.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: Various
I know there's a separate thread about Corona in Sweden but I saw someone else linking to this article written by a junior doctor at Danderyd.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/08...s-perspective/

Sweden ripped the metaphorical band-aid off quickly and got the epidemic over and done with in a short amount of time, while the rest of the world has chosen to try to peel the band-aid off slowly. At present that means Sweden has one of the highest total death rates in the world. But Covid is over in Sweden. People have gone back to their normal lives and barely anyone is getting infected anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.