Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by love2vaca
We travel a lot as a family and are very picky as to the rental car options - our own cars are treated nice and traded every two year, so I always hope that a rental car will be as nice as our own. I normally rent from Alamo however last year when travelling to Orlando I paid a higher price for a standard SUV and got a Saturn VUE - I considered it to be a 'small suv' I was upset and they would do nothing for me...even though I rent from Alamo twice a year! I decided to sign up for National (partner company I know) but I went for the Emerald Club hoping for some better service. I really liked the option of picking anything off the emerald aisle with a chance for a nice upgrade.

We are flying in around 830pm and spending the night at the airport, picking the car up in the morning - is there a better time that we should head over to the garage for a better selection? also it seems B side has a bigger selection of cars?

THANKS !

The "nice upgrade" well... if you read through this thread it's hit or miss. I guess if you think a "mini van" is a nice upgrade.

However, rental cars seem to be "aging" more so don't get your hopes too high.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:55 am

Sat., Feb. 27 - A Side, Executive Aisle

Went to the Executive Aisle, A side, 11:30 AM this morning. Both sides of this aisle were almost full of cars. I didn't go up and down the aisle, as I grabbed a lone Volvo S40 right away (6900 miles). Here's what else I remember seeing.....

Chevy Malibus (lots of 'em)
Toyota Corollas (even more of these than Malibus)
1 Dodge Avenger
1 Chrysler Sebring
1 Kia (don't remember the model)
1 Ford Fusion
zero SUVs
zero Minivans
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Yesterday on the "A" Exec had about half minivans, the rest an assortment of Malibus, Impalas, Sebrings, etc. I had "reserved" an Impala when I went to get my suitcase. Came back and a 2011 Kia Sorrento with 150 miles was next to my Malibu. I swapped it out.
In this context, when you say, "reserved," are you talking about taking out the keys and locking it and then going back up for your bags? Or something else?

I ask because a strategy like that would be easiest for me on my next trip w/ the family.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DoctorK
In this context, when you say, "reserved," are you talking about taking out the keys and locking it and then going back up for your bags? Or something else?

I ask because a strategy like that would be easiest for me on my next trip w/ the family.

Thanks!
Yes, that is what I did. I thought it was ok, but I asked the person working anyway and they said it is fine to do that.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:21 pm

We picked up a Volvo S40 on Side A on Saturday Feb 27th. We were Exec Status but the bright red Volvo with 3500 miles on it was way in the back of the regular Emerald Aisle. At check out it was listed as a standard elite. Sweet car and easy to drive.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:22 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Oh, FYI- They are changing B-Side around. Now to pickup cars with National you have to go to the right when entering the garage. Before you went to the left. The left side is for all returning cars and the pickup area is to the right of the escalator as you enter the gargage.
I should pay closer attention to this thread. Arriving late last night I did my usual brisk walk straight through the terminal to National and right after crossing the sidewalk I almost freaked out approaching the (now) completely empty spot where National used to be to the the left! It took me a couple minutes to figure out they had moved just across to the right of the crosswalk. Is it just me or did they downsize? It seems like they have a much smaller space now, which of course means less cars to choose from.

The ES aisle had nothing but Grand Marquis' and Town Cars (Bleh) a few minivans and tired Chrysler 300. One of the only newer vehicles on hand were a few Dodge Journeys, which I have not driven before so I took one of those (regular EA). It's not a bad car, at least they are pretty well equipped (sat radio, auto headlights, multiple power ports front and back are few things I like so far). And I like the dark tinted windows in the back cargo area.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
EA on Feb 28 (Sunday) A side - HHRs as fare as the eye could see. I had a "standard" reserved - Avengers, HHR, and Sebrings was all there were.

Glad I had a backup with Budget. I drive an Avenger at home; not interested in driving one on a rental.

Last edited by billybob123; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:58 pm

Landed at MCO yesterday about 9pm. Plenty of choices on B-Side Executive Section. Saw 2 Volo's, Explorers and Escapes, Jeeps, and my selection a Lincoln MKZ! It only had 3,600 miles on it and was fully loaded! A very nice ride. Too bad I'm returning it tomorrow!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Ok, can I do this or not. Let me know

As a recent and new Emerald Elite, I have a reservation this weekend at MCO. I have fullsize car on hold, upon arrival Friday evening, around 11pm, with Emerald Elite status, can I just go over and grab an SUV or Minivan, if that is what I prefer and need? My weekend trip was supposed to be for only 3 people, but I just found out that there will be a total of 6 people. Rather than going around and changing reservation, etc, I figured with my status that I could get this, is this possible, if so, what car do you suggest for 6 at MCO lot.

Thanks kindly for your suggestions.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by arollins
I have fullsize car on hold, upon arrival Friday evening, around 11pm, with Emerald Elite status, can I just go over and grab an SUV or Minivan, if that is what I prefer and need?
Maybe there will be an SUV or minivan available from the Executive Selection; take it at your reserved rate.

Otherwise you can be expected to pay the appropriate rate for the car class taken.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by arollins
As a recent and new Emerald Elite, I have a reservation this weekend at MCO. I have fullsize car on hold, upon arrival Friday evening, around 11pm, with Emerald Elite status, can I just go over and grab an SUV or Minivan, if that is what I prefer and need? My weekend trip was supposed to be for only 3 people, but I just found out that there will be a total of 6 people. Rather than going around and changing reservation, etc, I figured with my status that I could get this, is this possible, if so, what car do you suggest for 6 at MCO lot.

Thanks kindly for your suggestions.
No, I don't think you can.

If you read your package I don't think you get to upgrade to an SUV or Minivan.

If you made an EA reservation then you can takewhate ever is on the Executive Selection Aisle, but that does not allow you to go over to the other aisles.

And beware... they get 'pricey' at MCO. I had a screwup there a few weeks ago and when I drove out they were charging me $268 a DAY for my car. Returned to the airport IMMEDIATELY and got a manager to fix it, but don't go selecting anything and expecting the rate you were quoted.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

No, you can't just grab an SUV or Mini-Van off their areas on an ES reservation - that would be self-upgrading. However, you may luck out and find one in the ES area or even if not if you ask a lot attendant they may allow you to do it. Most SUVs won't hold 6 passengers though. Some Fullsize / Premium will - like a Mercury Grand Marquis or even an Impala if it doesn't have a console.

What is acceptable on an ES reservation is to grab a car off Fullsize or less area if they are preferred over what is on ES / EA - that's self-downgrading.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:21 pm

Any more recent rental experiences?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
EA Exec - Heading to MCO tomorrow, 3/10/10 around 1PM. Any updates on current availability?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:53 am

What is the selection usually like on the Emerald Isle Friday nights around 8pm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.