Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MCO

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 5:34 pm

Hoping to hear about some recent rental experiences as we're heading down next week.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:42 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Never in all my trips to Orlando did I experience what I did late last night (early this morning really) arriving at MCO.... NO cars at all in National parking garage.... period! I have seen nearly empty smaller NRAC locations... but never 100% empty in a location of this size!?

I walked over to the Alamo booth, that was still open (this was about 2:00a), where they had a total of TWO cars (one of which was being taken away by a renter). All that was left was a minivan.

The CSR working the booth apologized and ended up giving me a great deal, she credited my rental for $50 and also gave me a full tank of gas as well (my rate was already pretty low for five days). She said it was still residual impact from the Icelandic volcano in Europe... a lot of Europeans are still stuck here and have not returned their cars. I had no idea!

Also it was an example of how my SOP in MCO probably worked to my advantage as well... I walk straight from the terminal to the garage to pick my car out and then go back to baggage claim to get my luggage. After I had secured my rental (which appeared to be the last one) a group of weary passengers from my flight all started coming over from baggage claim dragging their luggage. I had no idea what was done to accommodate them!

It was very strange... kind of like the experience I had the first time I had approached the old National section after NRAC had changed locations in the garage and I didn't know it. Weird walking up to a deserted and abandoned EA!
Old May 15, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
She said it was still residual impact from the Icelandic volcano in Europe... a lot of Europeans are still stuck here and have not returned their cars. I had no idea!

!
Probably because she made this line UP! LOL!

Honestly all the airlines have pretty much gotten everyone home. And Thursday at 11 am EVERYTHING on the lot was fully stocked. Got to give her credit, "think fast and make up something"

Probably more likely they just were behind in cleaning...

(Aisle had mainly midsizes when I looked. Executive had basic stuff. Some small SUVs, one Camry and one Volvo that I took)
Old May 29, 2010, 6:49 pm

MCO Emerald Aisle

We are arriving late on a Friday night. I would like to reserve at a mid-szie rate, but do not want to get stuck with a mid-size car. Does National keep the Emerald Aisle stocked with full-size cars? What are my chances of getting one late on a Friday night?
Old May 30, 2010, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Emerald Aisle is the home of midsize cars. Executive Selection is the nominal home of full-size cars. You might find an upgrade (larger car, or a crossover or SUV type) on either, but no upgrade is guaranteed.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:35 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Emerald Aisle is the home of midsize cars. Executive Selection is the nominal home of full-size cars. You might find an upgrade (larger car, or a crossover or SUV type) on either, but no upgrade is guaranteed.
Yes, I agree but having said that... MCO almost always has plenty of full sized cars and even minivans frequently in the EA.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
"twice a year"???????

Originally Posted by love2vaca
We travel a lot as a family and are very picky as to the rental car options - our own cars are treated nice and traded every two year, so I always hope that a rental car will be as nice as our own. I normally rent from Alamo however last year when travelling to Orlando I paid a higher price for a standard SUV and got a Saturn VUE - I considered it to be a 'small suv' I was upset and they would do nothing for me...even though I rent from Alamo twice a year! I decided to sign up for National (partner company I know) but I went for the Emerald Club hoping for some better service. I really liked the option of picking anything off the emerald aisle with a chance for a nice upgrade.

We are flying in around 830pm and spending the night at the airport, picking the car up in the morning - is there a better time that we should head over to the garage for a better selection? also it seems B side has a bigger selection of cars?

THANKS !
No offense but if you travel a lot and only use Alamo twice a year then you are not going to be considered a loyal customer and, though they should all treat you well, they aren't going to do anything special for you, like you are a frequent renter. A loyal/frequent renter is considered someone who rents 10+ (or more with some, like National) times per year.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Yes, I agree but having said that... MCO almost always has plenty of full sized cars and even minivans frequently in the EA.
But.... when there's nothing there, don't whine "they told me on Flyertalk I could have a bigger car"

My advice ALWAYS reserve the mininum size you can live with (and realize that rental car companies may think "midsize" is smaller then you do)

I was at the National EA in Orlando years ago and got to witness a family having a huge fight over on the "economy aisle" Seems that they had reserved "economy" because 'the guidebooks all say they won't have any and you get a free upgrade' OPPS! Didn't work!. Mom, Dad and two teens with enough luggage for about 8 people were trying to "load" the car. Mom was screaming at Dad about "I told you it won't fit" Dad was screaming at Mom "I am not paying the fee they want to upgrade" The man at the car next to mine looked at me and we started laughing. I don't know the outcome since I left, but my bet is Mom won. They were NOT going to fit! I would never rent assuming "I will get lucky" my expereince lately with National is you may very well get EXACTLY what you paid for and nothing more!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:16 am

25 June ES Rental

Hi! Landed at MCO on 25 June at 2:30pm and went to the Executive Selection. Ton of Impala's, Camery's and some small SUV's. There was a brand new 300 with 600 miiles with leather, but I grabbed the loaded Buick Enclave with leather 3 row seating, power everything, rear passenger a/c, back up camera assist in the rear view mirror and only had 6,000 miles. It reminded me of the Cadillac SRX I got in PDX ES. I guess it pays to hunt in the ES at MCO!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
landed @ 3:00 at MCO on the 28th. They had the usual suspects of small SUV's (jeep, KIA, Hyundai) a couple of 300's on the Ex Sel row. Grabbed a low mileage jeep after checking out a couple of others and noticed several of the cars had an awful smell. Apparently someone used some type of "odor' spray that was so strong I got a headache. Had to ride around with the windows down for a bit.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:17 am

Quick report. 6/28 at 1 PM... pretty much the exact same stuff as mentioned above at 3 PM. I actually saw no minivans or full size SUVs on either aisle.

I did get a Mustang Convertible off the Executive, but considering the rain I had the only time I put it down was the 5 mile drive from my dad's to the hotel in Lake Wales one night.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:11 am

National compact at MCO

My daily driver at home is a Honda Fit. Love the 38MPG!

Is the Nissan Versa hatch the only compact showing up at MCO?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Sort of a vague question -- but is the Premium selection at MCO ever really significantly better than Exec?

Had reserved a PCAR for a rental there in two weeks, but realized it may be my only opportunity to use the free weekend day coupon that came with the 1-2-Free reg. That coupon won't work on PCARs, and the $50 savings is looking pretty good. I am seeing a lot of posts about Grand Marquises, which I would honestly be embarrassed to drive on this trip...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by dtremit
Sort of a vague question -- but is the Premium selection at MCO ever really significantly better than Exec?
Answering my own question: no. Arrived at 10pm last Thursday; checked both A and B. Both sides had a choice of Impala, Camry, and Grand Marquis on the ES; I think there may have also been a Malibu or two. Premium was also Grand Marquis.

The Camry was my bland car of choice. New, at least -- less than 1,000 miles.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by dtremit

Had reserved a PCAR for a rental there in two weeks, but realized it may be my only opportunity to use the free weekend day coupon that came with the 1-2-Free reg. That coupon won't work on PCARs, and the $50 savings is looking pretty good. I am seeing a lot of posts about Grand Marquises, which I would honestly be embarrassed to drive on this trip...
If you like the Grand Marquies, then you would have been in luck.

I did a Premium a few weeks ago. B side had ONLY the tank! I then walked over to A and got a Buick which was nice, but there was only one of them. I won't bother with premium again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.