Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
I was at HNL on a Thursday morning at around 9am. Pretty disappointed about the selection.

Emerald aisle (almost empty):
-Jeep Compass
-One Compact/midsize car (not memorable)

Executive aisle:
-Jeep Wrangler (someone took it before me)
-Nissan rouge (multiple)
-Dodge Journey (multiple)
-Ford Edge (V6 Titanium)

I was pretty disappointed with the executive selection since I was with my buddy, both in our 20's, and we were hoping for a Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. Picked the Ford Edge and the attendant said she'd call me if a sporty car showed up. The Edge with its Titanium trim was actually a really great ride. Ended up getting a call from the booth attendant and went back and switched to a Challenger. Great service.^
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by OSLexpat
I was at HNL on a Thursday morning at around 9am. Pretty disappointed about the selection.
It's just a matter of timing -- there's usually a Challenger or a Camaro on the Exec side, which I can't take because I need to carry 4 adults + luggage.

I would love to try an Edge Titanium...I don't think I've ever seen one when I've been there, so again, it's all in the timing.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:43 am

Picked up today in the afternoon; selection was a bit slim.

Executive:
- 2x Honda Accord LX
- 1x Subaru Legacy
- 2x Chevrolet Impala (I think they were both LT)
- 2x Nissan Rogue S
- 1x Honda CRV LX

Emerald:
- 2x Nissan Altima S
- 1x Ford Fusion SE (2016)
- 1x Ford Fusion SE (2017)
- 1x Jeep Renagade

Several BMW X3 and X5s were available for upgrades.

There were a couple of Ford Edge Titaniums, Pathfinders, a Sentra SR, a Taurus, and a 300C in the other stalls.

The line at the booth was about 5 - 6 people deep when I arrived, but it was moving pretty quickly because folks weren't too picky about selecting a car. I decided on the the base model CRV, mainly because it is such an atypical rental.

Some in line were a little impatient -- one group loaded their luggage into the CRV, even after being told that they needed to wait in line first. I think the agent was more than happy to tell them to unload their belongings because I was taking it.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:29 pm

Picked up this morning -- one downside to the 1 year old "temporary" rental car facility is that the counter has the keys to a very limited number of vehicles. The rest of the keys are in the booth -- which doesn't open until 6:30 am. If you arrive before 6:30 (as I often do), you're stuck with whatever the counter has available.

Executive:
- 2x Jeep Compass
- 2x Jeep Liberty
- 2x Hyundai Tuscon
- 1x Nissan Rogue
- 1x Honda CR-V LX
- 1x Ford Mustang (looked like a base model)
- 1x Dodge Challenger

Emerald:
- 4x Nissan Altima S
- 1x Nissan Altima 3.5 SL (2015)
- 1x Dodge Charger SXT
- 1x Toyota Camry LE
- 1x Nissan Sentra SR
- 1x Toyota Corolla
- 1x Hyundai Sonata
- 1x Chevrolet Malibu Limited (old style)

At the counter, I was offered a Jeep Renegade, Chevy Captiva, or Nissan Altima S. Asked about taking the Charger or Altima V6 and was told -- keys are in the booth and it won't open for another 30 minutes. Was about to resign myself to the Altima, but the agent offered a Journey, which wasn't an "aisle vehicle" but said he'd make an exception. I hadn't driven a Journey before, so I gladly accepted his offer.

In the Premier section were a 2015 Tesla Model S (WXAR) and a Mustang Convertible.

Last edited by qs933; Nov 13, 2016 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: National, Hertz
Hello FlyerTalk! Longtime lurker, first time poster. I find these threads very helpful so I figured I'd share my experience.

I picked up at HNL November 14th around 3:30 PM. If you arrive during their business hours you go directly to the 4th floor where there is a small counter for Emerald Club members. They have all the keys with them at the booth. The rep explained this is because there's no exit booth, so they need to check IDs and credit cards there. Selections were:

Executive:
2 Town & Countries
1 Sienna

EA:
.... a Sentra

There were a handful of other customers there, and without prompting the Rep apologized for the lack of the selection. She mentioned Sundays and Mondays are their busiest days, and that cars were being brought up as they returned. You can tell this location is very popular with the business crowd, as I drove down through Hertz, Avis, etc they seemed pretty well stocked.

I didn't want a van as I'm here on my honeymoon, so I waited a minute or two for a car to come. I ended up taking a 2016 Challenger with about 5,000 miles that had just come from the wash. Honestly I should have waited for something else because my back was killing me so I went back the next day to swap it out.

Tuesday November 15th, around noon:

Executive:
2x Honda CR-V LX
1x Subaru Forester Base
2x Malibu LT
2x Impala LT
1x Challenger
and I believe a Sienna

EA:
Literally every color Altima available. All 2017, all brand-spanking new. There were 3 3.5 SLs, 2 2.5 SLs, and the rest were SVs. Not bad for equipment choices!

I took one of the 3.5 SLs, which is fantastic! Leather, Sunroof, Factory Nav, Remote Start, etc etc etc. The same rep as the previous day helped me again. When she saw me get off the elevator, she chuckled "Hated the Challenger in Waikiki?" She mentioned they got two truck loads of Altimas yesterday a little before I arrived, but they needed to be plated and inspected. She also offered to call down to returns to see what else they had if an Altima wasn't up my alley, but the 3.5 SL is a great choice. Very friendly staff at this location and they seem to want to go out of their way to make sure you get what you want.

As a final note, the Premier cars were the same ones qs933 reported on Sunday. Looks like nobody has taken them up on their upgrades.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:47 pm

I'm glad that EAN is bringing in a variety of Nissan trims now vs. base models only. Who knows whether it's EAN that's negotiating a wider availability of trim levels at fleet prices or if Nissan is forcing EAN to take a range of more expensive trims to raise the average selling price per unit.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:41 pm

I rented a 2016 Maxima S from LIH. I really liked it despite being a base model, although the base Maximas are a little better equipped than the base Altimas. I would love to try the Altima 3.5 SL next time I rent from HNL.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Trying to book a car in HNL on nationalcar.com in January and rather than displaying the standard "Emerald Aisle - Aisle Choice" as the first search result, it just displays the cars from smallest to largest, no mention of Emerald Club benefits. Over on the right side it says, "Location serviced by Enterprise Rent-A-Car." Does this mean the National/EA is going away from HNL?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: National, Hertz
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Trying to book a car in HNL on nationalcar.com in January and rather than displaying the standard "Emerald Aisle - Aisle Choice" as the first search result, it just displays the cars from smallest to largest, no mention of Emerald Club benefits. Over on the right side it says, "Location serviced by Enterprise Rent-A-Car." Does this mean the National/EA is going away from HNL?
I was worried about the same thing, but no. If you arrive during their normal hours you go straight to the 4th floor and to Emerald Club counter up there. As long as you book a midsize (or above) you'll be able to choose from their selection. The CSR will hand you the keys after you've made your choice.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
I'm not sure which baggage claim area AA uses, but in terms of walking distance, the new location in the parking garage is only a little closer than before.

Here's the terminal map

I walk from the inter-island terminal, which is further away from the mainland and international terminal (D - H on the map). Takes me about 10-15 minutes. However, I haven't done it with a bunch of luggage or pushing a wheelchair.
I tried walking as everyone suggested, but after 5 minutes I hit a dead end. I have no idea how this happened - I just walked in the direction the information desk told me to go. Anyways, I just walked outside and caught the shuttle. If you're flying into the inter-island terminal, just go outside and catch the shuttle. If you're flying from the mainland then walking is easier.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:43 pm

Picked up 12/8. You have to go to the little counter in the garage to pick up your keys. He asked what I wanted (sedan or SUV at the same price). We walked down and looked at the options... Malibu, Dodge Dart, Sentra, Altima S, Jeep Renegade or Dodge Journey. The upgrade section had a BMW hardtop/convertible for $100 day or a BMW X3 for $50 a day. We ended up with the X3 for $30/day. When we left, they were just parking a new Altima SL (which I would have taken had it shown up 5 minutes earlier).

The X3 is really bare bones... no auto entry, no back up camera, leatherette seats, etc. I have a 328i and a 335i at home so I was expecting at least some creature comforts. Oh well.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:31 am

I had 2 reservations at HNL this past month. First one was a midsize reservation which I used to picked a Ford Fusion Titanium HYBRID off the Emerald Aisle.

My 2nd one was a luxury reservation and the guy at the counter offered me a Cadillac XTS. I said I hate Cadillac so he said he could give me a BMW 328i instead. I took it even though it was bare bones with no backup camera or parking sensors. I was really disappointed in the interior of the 328i, but it drove and handled well.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:42 pm

Had 2 reservations at HNL this past December.

1st was one week before Christmas. Decent selection in Executive aisle, highlights were:

- Jeep Cherokee Limited
- Mustang convertible ecoboost
- Dodge Challenger base V6
- Dodge Charger RT V8 base trim
- Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

The Fusion looked nice, but I have been on the lookout for a Charger RT for a while so I picked it right when I saw it. It was a fun ride, but it was lacking features except for the nice big touch screen.

2nd time was the week after Christmas. This was obviously one the most busiest time of the year, and I was pretty disappointed when the only options in the executive aisle were Chevy Impala LT and a Nissan Murano S. I picked the Impala but in hindsight I should've tried the Murano.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:50 pm

National share cars with Alamo?

With the lack of an Alamo thread now, I was seeing what were my options for either a Premium or Luxury rental in HNL and if anyone knows if National shares the same cars with Alamo, which I'm booked with. We're due to arrive on Easter Sunday in the late evening, so I'm wondering if it would be slim pickings then.

Price difference in my reservations is $40 more for the luxury, so I'm wondering if I should just cancel it and stick with the Premium rental in hopes I'd get a instant upgrade.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by humansoul
With the lack of an Alamo thread now, I was seeing what were my options for either a Premium or Luxury rental in HNL and if anyone knows if National shares the same cars with Alamo, which I'm booked with.
Alamo's lot at HNL is outside of the airport. Enterprise too. At a macro level, I'm sure cars get mixed between the three, but it's not like the locations where they share the same lot or facility.

A Premium reservation at National will probably get you a 300, Impala, or Taurus, with the occasional Maxima thrown in the mix. The 300 will usually be a "300C" that they set aside from the Exec aisle (Impalas are usually offered as Exec).

They also have Honda Accord LXs and Subaru Legacys in the fleet, which are classified as Premium. I've seen them park the Accords in the Emerald Aisle, so I think they realize that it's not exactly what you'd expect for a Premium reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.