Was there last week and saw the following:
Camaro
Altima
Camry
Charger
Audi Q3
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold
This is a little late, but I flew into HNL in mid-January and the place seemed like a Toyota Camry dealership...there were maybe 5 of 6 cars that weren't Camrys!
Old May 6, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up on Saturday in the early afternoon. Lots of flights arriving around this time, so the booth was pretty busy.

Emerald line:
- Multiple 2018 Camry
- Multiple 2018 Prius
- Multiple 2018 Hyundai Tucson

Executive line:
- Nissan Rogue SL
- Ford Explorer
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Chevrolet Camaro
- Subaru Forrester
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Mazda CX-5

I had a luxury reservation and was offered an Audi Q7, Mercedes GLC, or a Cadillac XTS. I took the Q7, which was a 2018 model in the 3.0 Premium Plus trim with about 4K miles.

There was a 2018 Honda Accord LX in the return line; haven’t seen one yet on the line, but looks like they are out there.

Old May 6, 2018, 11:46 pm

In keeping with how selection can change even on an hourly basis.

Here's 4pm on sunday afternoon:

EA:
1 lonely white Subaru impreza
That's it, entire row was empty

ES:
Nissan Murano SL (being driven out)
Nissan Murano SV
Hyundai Tucson
Nissan Frontier SV, non 4x4
Jeep Compass 4x4 (being driven out)
Rest were empty

Apparently, a huge line of people came in recently and the lot was cleaned out.

As I was leaving these were being pulled in:
Chevrolet Camaro RS
Subaru Forrester
Ford Explorer Sport AWD
Old May 13, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up early Sunday morning. I had a Luxury reservation and it was slim pickings because it was so early. Just an XTS or a BMW 430i convertible. I took the XTS, which was a refreshed 2018 model with just under 4K on the odometer.

Emerald Line:

- Multiple 2018 Camry
- Hyundai Elantra
- Subaru Forrester
- 2017 Dodge Charger R/T
- 2017 Honda HR-V

Executive Line:

- Multiple 2018 Toyota Camry
- 2018 Honda Accord LX (still a PCAR)
- Nissan Maxima
- Subaru Forrester
- Chevrolet Equinox (including an AWD Premier)
- Nissan Pathfinder SL
- Mazda CX-5
- Nissan Rogue SL
- Dodge Journey Crossroad
- Nissan Frontier
- Chevrolet Camaro

Upgrade Line:
aSiAnRiCk, ginmqi and Gammur like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

5/26 Sat afternoon pick up for the long weekend, Convertible reservation, Elite status. The place was busy, despite the lot being full I was only offered choice between a mustang conv, a challenger or a CX-5 or $15 upgrade to a BMW 430i. Managed to talk into free upgrade into the 430i as my personal car is a mustang.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:59 pm

6/2 330pm.

EA - Accord, Prius, Santa Fe, otherwise fairly empty

ES - Acura TLX, Camaro RS, CX-5, Grand Cherokee, Santa Fe, Accord

Very interesting to see an Acura TLX.
Decoding the VIN, shows it is a standard/base model 2018, FWD (not the SH-AWD), no Advance/Technology package, but does have the 290hp V6 with the 9-speed with paddle shifters, and with only about 1500mi. Sport+ mode is fun. Interestingly enough, there's no engine auto start-stop in ECO mode.

Classified as a GXAR (fullsize elite sedan)

Has the ACC/LKAS and auto brake/mitigation system. But no blind spot warning sensor. No heated/cooled seats/steering wheel, and no navigation. Seating position and visibility is good. Steering wheel is leather wrapped but the interior definitely does not seem as upscale for a luxury-brand vehicle as the dash and interior trim does not appear as nice as other competitor brands. The angel eye headlights and LED brake lights are quite nice. And a unique vehicle that stands out from the sea of the usual suspects.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:19 am

I have a luxury reserved for an August trip but my kids wanted to ride in a jeep wrangler. I reserve with my work discount and the luxury with my elite status cost $214 for the week before taxes and fees ($316 after fees). A four door jeep wrangler is much higher on my contract $1215 on contract or $755 with standard pricing. Both prices before fees.
Do you think that I would have a shot of just speaking at someone at the counter to swap my luxury for a jeep the day I arrive? I don't want to spend the extra $500 for the jeep to reserve it now, but if I could swap at the counter for the same price or like $15 more a day that would be sweet.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Davidl81
I have a luxury reserved for an August trip but my kids wanted to ride in a jeep wrangler. I reserve with my work discount and the luxury with my elite status cost $214 for the week before taxes and fees ($316 after fees). A four door jeep wrangler is much higher on my contract $1215 on contract or $755 with standard pricing. Both prices before fees.
Do you think that I would have a shot of just speaking at someone at the counter to swap my luxury for a jeep the day I arrive? I don't want to spend the extra $500 for the jeep to reserve it now, but if I could swap at the counter for the same price or like $15 more a day that would be sweet.
I don't think it should be an issue, but not sure about demand in HNL for the Wrangler. You could set up 2 reservations (1 for each type) and see if they will let you take the Wranger on the luxury reservation.
Davidl81 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:49 am

A very small shot.

A Jeep Wrangler is one of the most requested/popular vehicles in HNL (due to tourist traffic and novelty of driving a Jeep/open top SUV). It is almost never seen on the aisle for easy picking and in my past experiences it is usually fully reserved/booked due to high demand.

In my 11months so far of long-term rental out of HNL and my numerous trips there 2-3x/mo to exchange/rent, I've seen Wranglers there twice on the aisle, usually are always reserved. I've had my fun in the Wrangler and dont' feel the novelty factor anymore but it is quite a high demand vehicle.

Bottom line is, you can try your luck but I wouldn't expect it if you don't reserve it specifically.

Last edited by ginmqi; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:54 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
A very small shot.

A Jeep Wrangler is one of the most requested/popular vehicles in HNL (due to tourist traffic and novelty of driving a Jeep/open top SUV). It is almost never seen on the aisle for easy picking and in my past experiences it is usually fully reserved/booked due to high demand.

In my 11months so far of long-term rental out of HNL and my numerous trips there 2-3x/mo to exchange/rent, I've seen Wranglers there twice on the aisle, usually are always reserved. I've had my fun in the Wrangler and dont' feel the novelty factor anymore but it is quite a high demand vehicle.

Bottom line is, you can try your luck but I wouldn't expect it if you don't reserve it specifically.
Agreed. I was told at HNL that convertibles and Jeeps have to be specifically reserved.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Agreed. I was told at HNL that convertibles and Jeeps have to be specifically reserved.
Not surprising. One potential trick is to try to aim for a sunday arrival. In my experience, sundays are often when many families/tourists fly out and so the return lot is usually stocked and if you're lucky to get ahead of many people who are coming into HNL on a sunday, you MAY be able to get a convertible.

Just as rare as a Wrangler being spotted, I've seen also just twice where a convertible (Mustang ecoboost) was on the aisle...but also very rare.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Not surprising. One potential trick is to try to aim for a sunday arrival. In my experience, sundays are often when many families/tourists fly out and so the return lot is usually stocked and if you're lucky to get ahead of many people who are coming into HNL on a sunday, you MAY be able to get a convertible.

Just as rare as a Wrangler being spotted, I've seen also just twice where a convertible (Mustang ecoboost) was on the aisle...but also very rare.
I got a Wrangler (base model) off of the aisle on Maui, had a blast with it!
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:42 am

I went ahead and took KXC's advice and made a reservation for a Wrangler at the same time that I have the luxury reservation. I will see if they let me take the Wrangler on the Luxury reservation. If they won't no big deal and we will just take what ever luxury car we get. It's not worth the extra $500 or so just to get the Jeep.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:51 pm

I went ahead and took KXC's advice and made a reservation for a Wrangler at the same time that I have the luxury reservation. I will see if they let me take the Wrangler on the Luxury reservation. If they won't no big deal and we will just take what ever luxury car we get. It's not worth the extra $500 or so just to get the Jeep.
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!

Yes, sometimes the added cost doesn't justify an experience just driving around in a Wrangler. Honestly, it's actually not very good as a practical SUV...unless you're doing actual off-roading....it's got bad ride/steering, suboptpimal interior quality/features, not much space for cargo, bad MPG...but of course you do get to take the top off and its off-roading ability is stellar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.